Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • What country’s stuff do you like?
  • SaxonRider

What I mean, of course, is: what “foreign” country’s traditional cuisine/music/dancing/language interests you in particular, and why?

Make it a country to which you have no ethnic or ancestral connection aside from just liking it. You probably have a few, but limit yourself to one.

I love Mexico. I love its form of Spanish, its music, and its food. I used to travel there regularly growing up, and did a course in Mexico City in my 20s. Although I haven’t been back since the 1990s, the smell of corn or an Aztec motif still makes me wistful.

Klunk
    Free Member

Italian food and drink

sadexpunk

greece. lovely islands, food and people.  go there once or twice a year.

binners

I love France and the French. More than anything I admire their surly resolutely anti-american ‘just **** off’ attitude to the service ethic. It takes a certain gallic audacity to look like they’re really going out of their way to do you a favour, and virtually spit at you while you’re in the alps and they’re charging you 50 Euros for a slice of pizza and a small beer.

I love the South of France and being able to walk into any supermarket and buy really cheap but gorgeous local meats and cheese, and freshly baked bread, and just the general pace of life. The best steak I ever ate was at a little cafe outside St Tropez, served in a Roquefort sauce, and it was about ten Euros

And I bloody love effortless French Pop like this that just couldn’t be anything other than French

When I was a kid my dad spent a lot of time in France and told me that basically, the French just have life sussed. He was bang on!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Scandinavian, Spanish women 🙋‍♀️💃💃💃

Japanese Sushi, God I just love sushi.. and Sake.

Danish toast, loganberry and meat combos, dill with everything. Scandinavian food in general for normal eating,

French wine, particularly Bordeaux.. because they make the best wine eva.. French cheese, French way of cooking meats, Bouillabaisse, fish in general.

Spanish olives, cheese, cured meats.

Argentinian steaks.. super rare.

Could be here all night with this one…🤷‍♂️🍷🍷🍷🍷

CountZero

Japanese food, design, art, architecture… Music, not so much.

Bits and bobs from Scandinavia, America and Canada, mostly music, but outdoor gear, architecture, food, drink.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Italy …style means everything .

Love the cuisine ..and one of my mates is a mafia Don ..lol

molgrips
    Free Member

Nothing specific really.  I mean I’m a big fan of Scandinavia, but tbh their food or music doesn’t do much for me.  I love Scandinavian clothes and gear though, and houses.  I probably watch most TV and listen to most music from the US more than any other foreign country.

For food, it’s got to be India.

lunge

France.

I admire their arrogance and disdain for anything or anyone not French.

I like their food and drink.

I like their art.

I like their pace of life and attitude to work.

But mostly, it’s their attitude I love.

DezB
    Free Member

Am at the moment listening to Suuns, a band from Canada. Does that count? Canada has always appealed to me as a place to live too, ever since I did a school “project” as a nipper.

Went there on holiday a couple of years ago and it didn’t let me down.

TiRed

France. Everything.

California. Weather, space, outdoor lifestyle, friendliness.

Italy. Food.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Norway for the attitude.

French for the quality of life and climate.

American for positive attitude.

Canada for being America lite and the Rockies.

Germany for the order.

Polish people for the get it done attitude.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Most of the Caribbean.

chewkw
    Free Member

In no order.

Food wise:  Persian, Indian, Thai and Chinese … the rest of world cuisine is bland by comparison, except burger, fish & chips of course.

People:  All the same if you can communicate with them.

Edukator
    Free Member

Germany. Things run to time, the toilets are the classiest room in a building, people on foot or on bikes aren’t second rate citizens, people are helpful without being cheesy, nobody hassles me. I like the music, the films, the literature – thought has gone into them, the message isn’t so superficial it seems stupid and naive.

shooterman

Italy for the food, wine and style.

France for the attitude. (My wife maintains I muse have been a Parisian waiter in a previous life).

Germany for the utilitarian humanity.

Drac

So many to choose from love all kinds of food from many countries.

Don Lol? Not exactly scary.

hodgynd
    Free Member

True Drac ..he is of Scicillian heritage though and seems to import a lot of talcuum powder …

si77

Can’t believe no-one’s said Belgian beer yet!

So this.

SaxonRider

Can’t believe no-one’s said Belgian beer yet!

I would have, but I said only one country choice. I love Belgium though, and think it’s probably one of the most under-rated places on the Continent. The Ardennes region is especially beautiful, but so are many of the towns across the country. And the beer… oh, the beer!

colournoise

Spain for the food.

Sweden for everything else. Suspect I’d feel the same about Norway, Denmark, Iceland and (maybe) Finland if I’d visited them.

I feel quite ‘northern’ generally (but not in the parochial UK sense).

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Japan for food, architecture, design, instruments and engineering.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Holland, mainly for the pies.

edhornby

france: the Loire is just ace, and Burgundy is the best wine in the world

Italy is great, I love Germans too

Actually I can’t think of any country that I didn’t like, just a few kn08heads that are easily avoidable

bodgy
    Free Member

France. Everything.

Yup; 100% agree.

RustySpanner

Tough one.

Ireland for the people, Pakistan for the scenery, India for the food and France for everything else.

Just one?

France.

Actually I can’t think of any country that I didn’t like, just a few kn08heads that are easily avoidable

True.

I’ve never been anywhere I didn’t like, apart from Bacup.

MrSmith
    Free Member

France for how they treat their royalty

Belgium for the availability of good horse steak and their cycling fans.

Italy for their wine

Poland/Ukraine/Georgia for their concrete brutalist architecture

Denmark for their furniture.

BigJohn

UK. Top country. We’re lucky to be British.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Any particular country within the UK ?

zokes
    Free Member

Yup, most places, most food, and most people.

Whilst being a devout europhile, I do have a liking for some aspects of Americana also. Southern cuisine is amazing, and they’re not all gun totin’ Trumpers. Scenery by and large is fantastic.

rone

USA for landscape, scale,space, food, cycling and breaking and justifying all their stereotypes. (I met a guy over breakfast from Texas who made a sincere joke about Jesus and Guns whilst having the best breakfast in the world.)

Iceland for being so wild.

Japan for being so different.

New Zealand just for being the furthest I will ever go.

France (southern) for having everything that the UK doesn’t.

funkmasterp

Ireland for me. I love the accent, the fact that there’s music everywhere, real guiness, Irish Whiskey and the general friendliness. I was in Dublin earlier this week and 19:30 in the pub was like the friendliest English pub at 03:00.

tjagain

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the
    mechanics German, the lovers Italian and it’s all organised by the
    Swiss. Hell is where the chefs are British, the mechanics French, the
    lover’s Swiss, the police German and it’s all organised by the Italians.

vickypea
    Free Member

Sweden – for the lovely people, attitude to work, sense of humour, lack of litter, nice food

Greece- for the people, the language, the old rembetika (blues) music, the food, the islands, the weather…… I must get back there for a holiday!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

why is everyone so into Sweden?  I live here and it isn’t that great!

As Britain is foreign to me now, I miss the sense of humour and I think the culture , especially the music, is something to be immensely proud of.   Although every needs to stop moaning and rushing around

@Vickypea
    , the sense of humour?  ärligt talat?

senorj

Spain ,I’ve been lucky to have had a Spanish uncle so slightly biased. The food , wine ,the weather &countryside ,even their lager & brandy! The cycling isn’t bad there either.

MSP

As Britain is foreign to me now, I miss the sense of humour and I think the culture , especially the music, is something to be immensely proud of. Although every needs to stop moaning and rushing around

I wholeheartedly agree with that. Here in Germany I love the summer, sitting outside bars in the town square watching the girls go by (usually students in hotpants). I think it is similar throughout most of the continent, but the med countries turn it into peacocking, whereas in Germany it is much more relaxed.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m lucky enough to have visited all of the regions of the world with work and though I’ve not been able to immerse myself in the culture of all the countries I’ve been to I usually come back to Europe as being, on balance, the best region in the world. The climate is nice, you get proper seasons, real culture. If I had to pick any one European country I’d probably settle on France. It seems to have everything….beautiful countryside: gorges, lakes, mountains, rivers, beaches etc., excellent food, culture and not too big. Though many other European nations run it close, but I think France is the only one that has everything in one country (could be wrong).

But for people, I think the Thai people in my experience seem  to be they friendliest and with the best outlook of any other nation. Just really nice people, no aggression or airs or graces about them.

trailwagger
    Free Member

U.S.A

Cheese Burgers

The Simpsons

WWF

Fries

Monster Trucks

Vanilla Ice

Three_Fish
    Free Member

to everything already said about France, I will add this: philosophy is compulsory in schools. That doesn’t mean that kids learn what Plato said, and/or why Diogenes opposed it – it means that they learn how to question, engage, consider, confront and elucidate; to ask ‘why?’; it means they learn to be philosophical. Is it any great surprise that they typically show the English so much disdain?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘What country’s stuff do you like?’ is closed to new replies.