What constitutes 'drunk'?

Home Forum Chat Forum What constitutes 'drunk'?

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • What constitutes 'drunk'?
  • Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

Is it the way you feel? Or blood alcohol level? And do these two always necessarily correlate?

I ask because I had a single pint the other night on the way home, and felt more intoxicated that I often do after more than one. Would that have meant I was over the limit? Or would it have indicated that the alcohol simply made me feel different on that occasion than it normally would have?

johndoh

Interesting question – I never feel drunk if I have a drink at home, but go out and I feel tipsy after one.

SixFootTwo

The point when I tell people “I’m not drunk” usually heralds my being drunk.

When I start smoking.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Would that have meant I was over the limit?

Legally, no. Assuming it was a pint of normal stength beer. If it was whiskey, that’s a different matter….

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

@tomhoward:

Definitely normal strength beer. Just a pint of local Christmas Ale of ~5%.

jambourgie

I never feel drunk these days. Even after 6 or 7 pints. But I definitely feel it the next day.

mogrim

Legally, no. Assuming it was a pint of normal stength beer. If it was whiskey, that’s a different matter….

Is that right? (The beer bit I mean…) – DUI is based on blood alcohol level, if all the alcohol in a pint were to enter your blood almost simultaneously, would that be enough to push you over the limit?

(Assuming normal strength beer, adult male, etc.)

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

You’re not drunk if you can lie on the floor without hanging on.

So 2 pints these days then.

BlindMelon

When I’ve taken the skin off my knuckles ‘walking’ home.

Well, properly drunk is when I start repeating myself over and over again in a very friendly, yet boring manner.

khani

When you look at your mates mum and think ‘go on then’..

Well, properly drunk is when I start repeating myself over and over again in a very friendly, yet boring manner.

Anyonewannakebab?

tweeky

Reading between the lines here….if you were driving, you MIGHT have been over the limit.

So many factors affect this. Your body’s ability to process alcohol can change, depending on lots of things. How much food, what you’ve eaten, how much rest/sleep you’ve had, psychological factors such as stress, physical factors such as recent exercise.

Come back to me on this…………

pondo

Kebab, mmmmmmm….

I’d seriously think twice about drinking a pint of premium ale / lager ie above 4% and driving afterwards. Speed consumed and fullness of ones stomach, constitution and body weight will all have a bearing on the outcome.

In my opinion it is not the worth the risk…..and don’t get me wrong I like a drink. The limit is not in place to be drunk up to.

Be safe!

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Chillisos?

On the blood/alcohol thing, (assuming you are Mr average) the rate at which you consume the alcohol is irrelevant (iirc, could be wrong though).

Factors that make you feel ‘drunk’ are many and varied. Blood sugar levels, temperature, suddenly standing up etc

johndoh

When you look at your mates mum and think ‘go on then’..

patriotpro

neilsonwheels – Member
    When I start smoking.

😆

For me it’s when i’ve had enough, which is usually when i throw up without warning. I did it for the first time on ages a couple of months ago but that was the ‘dodgy pizza’ I had and nothing to do with the 15 pints of various draught lagers i’d slung down my neck. 😉

beefheart

Generally, you know you had one too many when you wake up in a puddle of your own pee and vomit, next to an aging, toothless crack whore.
    Good times!

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

You can listen to the 1 pint and you’re fine rubbish or be safe and not have any.

How much can I drink and stay under the limit?There is no fool-proof way of drinking and staying under the limit. The amount of alcohol you would need to drink to be considered over the driving limit varies from person to person. It depends on: (4)
    your weight
    your gender (men tend to process alcohol faster than women)
    your metabolism
    your current stress levels
    whether you’ve eaten recently
    age (younger people tend to process alcohol more slowly
    Even small amounts of alcohol can affect your ability to drive so the only safe advice is to avoid any alcohol if you are driving.

12fifty

Interesting question – I never feel drunk if I have a drink at home, but go out and I feel tipsy after one.

You can build up strong drug tolerances depending on the environment some scientists did this with mice.

Loosely describing the experiment, they gave the mice increasingly strong doses of ‘heroin’ in one environment (eg a blue box) and then took them out of that environment and put them in another (eg a green box) and the mice would overdose and die at much much lower doses.

…..I f*ukinlovesyou….. **HIC!**

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

Or would it have indicated that the alcohol simply made me feel different on that occasion than it normally would have?

There can be a psycho-somatic element. For instance people can get passively drunk if they are in an environment where other people are drinking – not actually intoxicated by alcohol but the convivial atmosphere is infectious. I remember seeing an experiment years ago which on the face of it was about effects of sleep deprivation (I think) on co-ordination etc but they snuck a secret test in. At the end of the experiment they had a knees up for the participants with booze. Unknowingly some of the participants were on alcohol free drinks, but thinking they were drinking, and by being with people who were drinking, when their co-ordination was tested again it the showed much of the effects you’d attribute to booze even though they had non in their system. So you can feel and act more drunk than you actually are (chemically speaking) in certain situations.

jambourgie

Yeah. I guess sat in the pub after one pint you’d not know the difference. But sat in your motor with your boozy breath in your face, it probably feels a bit ‘naughty’ so you’d notice more.

wrecker

You can listen to the 1 pint and you’re fine rubbish or be safe and not have any.

+1.
    1 pint is a bit rubbish anyway as beer is so moreish. I just don’t bother at all if I have to drive.

Chillisos?

Yesh. Loadsofit.

Loadsofit

Loadsofit

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz……

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

when i start kissing folk i do not know.

*Pours ton another*

jambourgie

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAreJcbhvI[/video]

pondo

1 pint is a bit rubbish anyway as beer is so moreish. I just don’t bother at all if I have to drive.

Rmeinds me of James Hunt, I read somewhere that he wouldn’t drink the night before a race – not because he thought it would be an issue to have a glass of wine with his dinner, but if he was going to drink wine, he didn’t just want a glass, he wanted the whole bottle.

/steps onto soap box

Better to abstain if driving. The sooner they reduce or scrap the limit the better.

What’s the point of one and even after one you are marginally impaired. Why risk yours and others safety.

If you have an accident and have alcohol in your blood it is listed and would be listed as a factor in any civil or criminal proceedings.

/steps off soap box

You can still commit the offence of driving whilst unfit through drink (S4 RTA) even if you aren’t over the limit (S5 RTA).

patriotpro

+1 having 2 is fine as long as it’s not Kestrel Super, etc.

Subscriber

You can still commit the offence of driving whilst unfit through drink (S4 RTA) even if you aren’t over the limit (S5 RTA).

Indeed people with certain genetics or allergies could be shit faced from almost no alcohol yet still pass a breath test

CountZero

Lols at Flashy! 😆

Junkyard

when I do the elephant to my MIL 😳

yunki

Junkyard +1 (although junkyard’s mother in law refers to mine as the baby elephant 😳 )

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

when I do the elephant to my MIL

<adds to “to-do” list for Christmas afternoon>
    (etiquette Q: before or after the queen ?)

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

PS – no, I’ll not be doing the elephant to the queen, as she’s not coming round ’til boxing day

Subscriber

<adds to “to-do” list for Christmas afternoon>

JY’s mother in law is going to have a christmas she’s not going to forget in a hurry

Premier Icon Scapegoat
    Subscriber

Who was the standup comedian the other night who used the phrase “Four units this side of shitting myself?” Think I’ll adopt that as a standard. 😀

poly

mogrim – Member
    Is that right? (The beer bit I mean…) – DUI is based on blood alcohol level, if all the alcohol in a pint were to enter your blood almost simultaneously, would that be enough to push you over the limit?

(Assuming normal strength beer, adult male, etc.)

1 pint of beer @ 5% = 28.4 mL of pure ethanol. Ethanol has a density of 0.789 g/mL so this is 22.4g

Assume adult male, with 5L of blood.

So if all that alcohol could instantly get into the blood and none of it is metabolized yet then this would equate to 448 mg/100mL.

The UK driving limit is 80 mg in 100 mL of blood. However of course a significant proportion of the alcohol simply passes straight through.

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘What constitutes 'drunk'?’ is closed to new replies.