Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What commuter frame??
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hi

Im going to need a new commuter soon as my current one (old old MTB) is about to throw the towel in

I like the idea of a hybrid and probably have enough MTB bits, eg brakes, shifters, drivetrain, bars. saddle etc around the shed to build one up but I just cant seem to find a hybrid frame with disc mounts for sale

I dont really care what it is
    It just has to take proper mudguards, have disc mounts and be MTB compatible for the other bits

Any ideas where I can buy a commuter frame and forks?
    Better still any recommendations?

Ahh and thoughts on 700c wheelsets with discs also welcome 🙂

Cheers

Onzadog
    Free Member

Kinesis Tripster. Love mine.

maccruiskeen

Someone linked to the Whisky Tango Foxtrot in here the other day, I think it looks like fun and could throw bits at it, but don’t know what I’d actually do with it.

Theres nothing to stop you putting 700c wheels on an MTB frame if you’re using disks. I picked up some open pro rims on MTB disk hubs on ebay, shimmed them with these to match my off-road wheels so that I could swap them back and forth on my MTB

cynic-al
    Free Member

The Tripster is for drop bars which I presume the op does not want.

Tons of disc road frames out there, not sure of any flat bar ones tho.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Tripster looks ace but yes Im looking for flat bars and my budget is flexible but at the OnOne end of the scale 🙂

Didnt think it would be so tough……

cynic-al
    Free Member

Good point re. 26″ frame.

I wouldn’t buy that WTF on principle due to the amount of BS on that page.

boabym

Cotic roadrat?

MarkyG82

kaffenback?

I have an old one with loads of old mtb bits on it that works great. 28mm tyres cope on and off road. would probably go to 32 if I had discs on it to make good use of the stopping power.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hmmm thanks for the ideas
    Ive been sniffing around Kaff’s and Roadrats overnight

Has the Roadrat mudguard hassle been sorted out and which guards fit most easily?
    If so can I safely run 32c or 35c tyres with decent clearance?

Cheers

faint
    Free Member

I find the roadrat very versatile.
    Not much else to say really, apart from I might be selling mine 🙂

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

There was a tripster frame on ebay (i was watching it) for 250 which didn’t sell, you could maybe make them an offer.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330676807059

Tripster/Pompino geometry is pretty similar. Both designed around drops, but can be used with flats.

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

If you pop over to crc you can buy a 2010 kona dr dew frame for £125 ( half price ) think it covers all the bases for you.

cr500dom
    Free Member

CRC had some cheap Scott SUB frames last time I looked,
    I had a 2006 one for a couple of years and it made a good fast Hybrid commuter, mine was a 26″ wheel one but they will take 700c too

Was tempted to get another one as they were very cheap

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve seen tripsters built with flat bars. it’s supposed to be a do everything bike. Flats or drops, 26 or 700.

Lummox

2nd the Scott frames from crc. Built one for my wife as a commuter and wished I’d bought a bigger one so I could nick it!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Another +1 for the Tripster. Said it before, will say it again – it’s a proper bike you can do practically anything on (just like when we were kids and had a “bicycle”…)

Mine’s great for my long commute, as a winter bike, for some light off road stuff and plenty more. I have it with drops but if you look at the product page, there are a number of suggested combos – 700c / 26″ / flat / drops etc. Here’s their flat bar, 700c setup:

Regarding wheels: I got some Halo Aero Track deep section rims (with no braking surface) built onto some Novatec cartridge bearing, 6 bolt hubs (bargain on eBay from China…) – smooth rolling, tough, not that light, look nice – but a mistake going for form over function when it comes to deep section hoops in a howling gale. Winter bike fail. 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What commuter frame??’ is closed to new replies.