Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What commuter for Mrs J
  • geoffj

10k each way all year round.
    She’s currently on a 10-year-old Specialized Sirrus disc with pannier rack, but it’s slowly dying – and she wants a shiny new replacement.
    Its on 28mm tyres, but there is one particularly miserable section where the tarmac path is being undermined with roots (North Inch between river and golf course if you know it) which means she’s asking for some more bounce.
    It needs flat bars and mounts for rack and guards, and with up to 35mm tyres. What you got?

midlifecrashes

Gazelle Orange C8 if the budget will allow it.

tthew

What’s the budget? New Cotic Roadrat or Genesis of the correct flavour.

slowster
    Free Member

Assuming a similar price point to the Specialized, how about the Kalkhoff Durban.

– Nexus 7 speed hub gear and Hebie chainglider should mean minimal maintenance and long lifespan for the transmission.

– Schwalbe 700×42 tyres

– Dynamo hub, lights include standlight function

– Mudguards, rack and stand

It’s got V brakes rather than discs, but given the likely style of riding on a flat barred commuter with panniers (and ordinary clothes?), I don’t think that should be a dealbreaker.

geoffj

That Kalkhof looks great – almost perfect, just need to check the weight, as she does fancy herself as a bit of a racing snake 😕

rents
    Free Member

How tall is your Mrs? I built up a surly disc trucker for my Mrs. its 26″ flavour to negate toe overlap. It has full guards and a alfine 8. Its a lovely bike. Super smooth and reliable.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hybrid-team-bike

~£570 with British Cycling discount, listed as mens bike, but Boardman don’t list a carbon forked womens version. A work colleague has one, nice looking bike.

shermer75
    Free Member

Pinnacle do a flat barred version of the ever-popular Arkose, it’s called a Lithium I think..

simondbarnes

How about a shiny new Specialized Sirrus Disc? 🙂

fasthaggis

As above,does she like the Sirrus?
    You could always chuck a big front tyre and a Thudbuster on it for a bit more comfort.

geoffj

How about a shiny new Specialized Sirrus Disc?

That did cross my mind – maybe add a dynamo front wheel and lights.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What commuter for Mrs J’ is closed to new replies.