Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • What comfortable steel road/audax/light tourer frameset
  • jimfrandisco
    Free Member

As per the title.
    looking for a new road bike for quickish road riding and long back to back days.
    Not being young or flexible anymore i’m looking for comfort – the kind of set up you’d get from something like Specializes Secteur, but in steel and not boutique (i.e cheapish)
    Any recommendations for the brands to be looking at – guessing Genesis for starters?
    Cheers
    Jim

timba
    Free Member

Spa Audax?? If you’re near Harrogate you can trial a complete bike and see how you like the frame
    They do the 10s 105 equipped bike for under a grand

robdob
    Free Member

My Genesis Tour De Fer is lovely. I wouldn’t say it’s fast as such as its meant to be a tourer so it’s a bit heavier than a CDF but my oh my is it comfy. I have a bad neck and need a upright but efficient position and this is perfect. You could build one up from a frameset with a lighter spec if you wanted I suppose. I just saved 370g per wheel changing my standard Marathon tyres so that should pep things up a bit.

You seem to sit “in” the bike rather than perched on top which feels lovely. Handling is stable but not dull, it’s exactly the kind of bike I would prefer to be riding a whole day on.

MoreCashThanDash

Spa was my first thought, a couple of guys I know have the Ti version, met a few audaxers with the steel one which looks great value for the extra pound or so in weight.

Also reported to be great guys to deal with.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Thanks both.
    Spa steel or at a push Ti frame would be on the list, but right at the other end of the country.
    Genesis definitely worth a look, but not looking for discs (just built my own non-disc wheels, slightly kicking myself now) so may check out the equilibrium.
    cheers

therevokid
    Free Member

ribble’s steel 525 or Ti ?
    i have a kinesis gran fondo in ti that’s very nice over longer distances.

Edric64
    Free Member

I looked at the Tour de fer but god is it heavy even for a tourer .

DT78
    Free Member

I’m enjoying my equilibrium sounds exactly what you want. Budget wise I think it came in around £700 for a second hand frame, new 105 and finishing kit with a set of wheels I already had.

Tiger6791

Once did an Audax

Dawes Super Galaxy seemed to be the weapon of choice and judging by the old boy with his wool shirt and banana helmet that overtook me they seem quick enough.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my equilibrium is fantastic.

Dickyboy

Jim – what size Equilibrium are you after? I have a 58cm non disc one in sunny Bucks if you think that’s what you are after

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Salsa Colossal ?

Salsa

geetee1972
    Free Member

Do you want the option of mounting paniers? If so the Genesis Equilibrium doesn’t have panier rack mounts, though it does have mudguard eyelets (which I presume you absolutely want to have if you’re going to be doing long distance rides).

The Condor Fratello is a good option, albeit a little pricer than the equivalent Genesis Equilibrium, but the tubeset is slightly better (it’s more analagous to the 853 Equilibrium which was a limited run a few years ago).

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Light, steel and touring don’t really go in my experience. It’s a bit out of left field but I’ve done quite a bit of light touring on my Kinesis T2. It’s Alu but not far off steel for comfort. It has rack mounts for the back. Ideal for ‘quickish road riding’. In fact, it’s bloody good fun to ride with a lighter set of wheels

Dickyboy

Genesis Equilibrium doesn’t have pannier rack

I’ve got a Salsa racklock on mine, works great

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Dickyboy – thanks, but 58 would be too big for me (5ft10).
    geetee – pictures of the newer equilibrium frames show rack mounts, but that’s not critical as have other bag options, but mudguards certainly needed.
    Will check out the ribble – but first impression is that its a little too sporty, but price is certainly right.
    Dawes isn’t something i’d considered, but seen the audax le which looks ideal, but not sure they’re still made.

Anyone experience of the tifosi geometry?
    thanks all

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

slowpuncheur – thanks, certainly considering Kinesis and haven’t written off alu completely.
    It’s just that the vintage steel frame feels so much nicer than the specialized i have, especially on rougher stuff and out the saddle – but that may not just be down to the material.

cheers

robdob
    Free Member

My proper road bike is a Kinesis T2! You can do light touring on it as you can fit a rear rack but you’re limited to skinnier tyres with mudguards really. It isn’t a bike you can really take off the roads onto gravel paths or anything. I have the carbon forks and carbon bars and it’s still a bit of a harsh ride compared to a decent steel bike.

boblo
    Free Member

Linksey Sportive. I know it’s not steel but I’ve seen a couple and they look perfect for what you describe. Disc version with shimano 685 if they do triple left shifter or Spyres and 105/touring gearing would be ace.

jameso

If so the Genesis Equilibrium doesn’t have panier rack mounts,

Tubus Fly or any minimal rack with a 3-point adapter fits most bikes like that. Compact frames can be a faff with guard stays fouling the calliper brakes when mounting to the seat stay on smaller frame sizes.

geetee1972
    Free Member

So I learnt something useful from this. I would prefer to commute with a rack pannier but never knew there were options for this if you didn’t have mounts.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Robdob, Interesting to hear your comparison to steel. Next one will be steel I think. I’ve done quite a bit off road stuff but mainly old railway line around Keswick or on the Northumberland coast. I wouldn’t want to do anything rougher than that on a T2 though. 28 tyres with guards is a maximum.

ransos
    Free Member

Light, steel and touring don’t really go in my experience.

Depends if you’re camping or not. Lightish steel frames are available that are suitable for credit card touring – I love my Thorn audax, but it does get a bit noodly with heavy panniers.

jameso

Light, steel and touring don’t really go in my experience.

Yeah, I tend to not worry about the ‘light’ part of all that : ) (I know what you mean though.) Although more so these days I may not worry about the steel bit either.

Alu frame, 1400-1700g. Steel, 2000-2500g. When I put ~8kg on a bike and don’t want a noodly shimmy-prone frame, ‘oversized’ steel looks like a good option. And Al is under-rated here; I really don’t notice much if any comfort difference between a touring-capable steel bike and a good Al CX type of bike once loaded up. Tyre size and pressure and riding position count for a lot more. It’s just that I like steel for an irrational reason and it’s an ingrained habit with touring to go for a steel bike. No real sense in it though. Look at bikes like Velotraum’s and tell us that Alu makes a bad tourer ..

Merak

Sabbath September.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kaffenbak?

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Appreciate all the comments.
    My definition of ‘touring’ in this case is of the credit card variety – the touring bit is more a reference to the comfortable position than the load carrying..
    cheers

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Anyone any experience of these?

http://www.tifosicycles.co.uk/ck4-sportivo.php

Not sure how much the carbon adds to the mix…

ransos
    Free Member

My definition of ‘touring’ in this case is of the credit card variety – the touring bit is more a reference to the comfortable position than the load carrying..

An audax type bike would be fine, then, and probably more comfortable than a bike designed for heavier loads. My Thorn is built from 531c and really soaks up the bumps.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Re Steel v Alu. I agree, about the idea of Alu not being comfortable being a bit old hat. It’s worth reading up about Gary Klien and his mates’ work at MIT back in the day.

As you say, the weight of the frame isn’t much of an issue when it’s loaded with gear and you’re using a relatively inexpensive (but heavier) groupset and bombproof wheels. I also think Steel is considered the go-to option for tourers as its far easier to weld when you are stuck somewhere in the Mongolian Steppe.

Spa Cycles or what about Hewitt Cheviot:

Cheviot Frame

jameso

The Thorn Audax does look like a really well thought-out bike. Lovely forks too. And I like their web design attitude (really!)

grenosteve
    Free Member

Surly LHT with 700c wheels?

You can get a disk version too.

nedrapier

Singular Osprey or something from Condor? might be on the pricier end or you might get lucky second hand.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Thanks for the Hewitt mention – the Hewitt Chiltern looks pretty perfect as does the Osprey..
    cheers all – time to work out what size i need…

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

If you can get to Hewitts (Leyland) he does a bike fit for a few quid (used to be £50) and will discount that from any bike you buy.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve always thought that the Surly Pacer looked really nice, £338 at Spa. I’ve had one their Steamrollers before and loved it, really fast but comfortable. Completely regret selling it in fact!

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Yes, Surly Pacer is something i’ve always had my eye on.
    It’s going to come down to geometry of course, but got a good few options to consider now.
    Unfortunately Leyland is a little far – i’m in S.Oxfordshire.

nedrapier

Ubyk in Oxford stock Singular if you wanted to give them a shout.

nerd
    Free Member

Jim – I’ve got a Bob Jackson Olympus Road in Reynolds 853 with Campag 10 speed Centaur carbon on it for sale, if you’re interested. Size 21.5 inch (54.5cm). Good condition, nice wheels. email in profile if you’re interested.
    I’m in (West) Oxford.

OCB
    Free Member

Directly echo’ing nedrapier from the page before …
    “Singular Osprey or something from Condor? might be on the pricier end or you might get lucky second hand”.

… but based on the ole’ recommend what you own thing, I’d suggest taking a look at an Osprey or a Fratello. Both of mine get used for comfortably paced days out wandering about in the countryside.

I’m sure you know can easily find out / know what they look like, but photos never hurt.
    😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘What comfortable steel road/audax/light tourer frameset’ is closed to new replies.