Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What comfortable steel commuter for < £300 (second hand)
  • holdenc
    Free Member

Hello!

I’m finding the horizontal foetal position I have to adopt to reach the drops on my Peugeot Carbolite increasingly uncomfortable on my 9 mile commute.

I’m thinking about looking for something a bit lighter, and a lot more comfortable. It must be steel and have mudguard / rack mounts too.

What sort of thing should I be looking at?

Dawes Galaxy crossed my mind, but eager to hear any recommendations.

Thanks!

stwhannah

If you’ve got a local bike recycling place or CIC you can probably pick up a really cool looking 90s MTB, or maybe an old tourer, for under that price. Feeling like your bike is cool adds about 20% lateral and vertical comfort 🙂

holdenc
    Free Member

Thanks, that’s a good tip!

I thought that my Peugeot was cool, but the bonus 20% comfort still leaves me about 40% below threshold.

cookeaa

Couldn’t you just change the bars and brake levers on the Peugeot?

holdenc
    Free Member

Couldn’t you just change the bars and brake levers on the Peugeot?

The geometry is so aggressive I’d assumed it’s beyond anything a taller stem could solve, but this is a good idea – I’ll take a look.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The geometry is so aggressive I’d assumed it’s beyond anything a taller stem could solve, but this is a good idea – I’ll take a look.

Assuming we’re talking about an old road bike, then yes you can just swap to either flat bars + cantilever levers (because V-brake levers, aka. linear pull, have the wrong pull ratio) is a comfortable option, albeit it makes the steering a bit quick.

Failing that, and suggesting what you own. Have a look for the aluminum version of the Charge Plug, it’s not a harsh frame at all and takes 40mm+ tyres. I’ve got a singlespeed one set up as a fixie for long commutes upto 25 miles and it’s the best tool I’ve had for that job.

suspendedanimation
    Free Member

Charge Plug are cheap and quality

wbo
    Free Member

Whatever’s on ebay or whatever locally. I don’t think a galaxy is going to be any better at all so perhaps the answer is a hybrid.

peekay

I have a Charge Plug that I’ll be listing on classifieds/eBay next week. Size medium. Will be well within your budget.

I used it for many miles of comfortable commuting and have racks/guards that I’ll happily sell with it, along with a spare set of wheels with gravel tyres.

I think it is a 2015 or 2016 model, whichever year they decided to do alloy with carbon fork rather than steel.

PM me if interested.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think it is a 2015 or 2016 model, whichever year they decided to do alloy with carbon fork rather than steel.

I’m pretty sure they ran in parallel for a long time, the Plug 0 was the steel fixie with normal road bike proportions and tyre clearance, the Plug 1 was the alloy one with massive clearances for gravel tyres / guards and very modern even now ‘slack’ head angle and shorter stem than a lot of gravel bikes, plug 2 was a 1 with gears. Later there were disk braked versions of the 1 and 2 as well.

There was a also the Grater which was I think a Plug 2 with a flat bar.

cookeaa

I meant a shorter stem and a flat bar, not unheard of, I might even have an old 1″ quill to 1-1/8″ ahead adapter knocking about, that opens up a whole world of options on an old frame…

A quick GIS for ‘Peugeot Carbolite’ suggests it’s been done before quite successfully…

irc

If your bike is a quill stem and it is too low an answer is a Nitto hi rise quill.

One piece better than an adapter.And Nitto stuff is just nice.

https://www.hubjub.co.uk/nitto-fu-82-quill-stem-4190-p.asp

peekay

Later there were disk braked versions of the 1 and 2 as well.

My Plug has mechanical discs, so it must be one of those. A very fetching blue colour, with a matching blue stem that I think looks smart.

cookeaa

Just to illustrate what you can do with old 1″ frames/forks here’s a couple of my contraptions:

The Ridgeback (my commuter) uses a quill adapter to fit a modern 1-1/8″ stem and 31.8mm bar.

The old Raleigh is using a traditional quill stem and a 26mm Dutch/North road type bar (flipped to use as a sort of mega flared silly Drop bar

The point is there are lots of (pretty cheap) ways to put just about any bar/rise you might want on an older frame…

chestrockwell

Just get over to retrobike and wave £300 about, you’ll soon end up with something that will be super comfy for commuting.

13thfloormonk

Failing that, and suggesting what you own. Have a look for the aluminum version of the Charge Plug, it’s not a harsh frame at all and takes 40mm+ tyres

Love mine, such a unique and versatile bike, rarely actually ride it but will never get rid of it, whilst slowly and completely unnecessarily pimping it up with hand-me-down components from other bikes 😎

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Croix de fer.

holdenc
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice.

I’m going to do a bar + brake lever change to allow me to brake from the hoods. If I’m still hunched over I’ll fit a riser stem.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.