What colour chart do car paint suppliers use?

Home Forum Bike Forum What colour chart do car paint suppliers use?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What colour chart do car paint suppliers use?
  • swampi

as above, i know powder coaters use the RAL colour chart but not sure what car sprayers use etc

Filthy

usually supplied by the paint manufacturer, not a colour chart as such, the paint is mixed to match the cars and can be tweaked for different shades.

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

Here’s the Audi one (courtesy SniffPetrol.com)

swampi

lol cheers guys

Premier Icon speaker2animals
    Subscriber

RAP is an industrial paint standard. Often machinery (such as when I was working for water industrial) will spec all kit must be in a certain RAL colour. As far as I know car makers have their own colours made up. Endorfin bikes can be supplied in any RAL colour BTW.

woodsman

I have my own car body business. We don’t use a colour chart as such, on each car, there is a colour code on the chassis plate, this code is then cross referenced to a formula in which to mix paint tinters to get the colour spot on. There are colour swatches, manufacturers of paint suppy these for quick reference. If you go to a paint suppliers, there will literally be thousands of colours to choose from.

The reason we don’t really use charts, is that paint has to be matched to manufacturers exactly, and normally just part of the car is repainted. A chart would only be of use for full resprays which is a rarity in the modern car body industry.

And even with full resparys, people usually stick to what should be on the car anyway, rather than chosing a complete colour change, which would mean spraying all the door shuts, boot interior etc etc!

swampi

cheers for that woodsman, just what i wanted to know ta

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

not sure which colour chart my wife’s beetle came from;

but it’s even pinker in real life.

dave_aber

Pink Beetle Bonnet……….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What colour chart do car paint suppliers use?’ is closed to new replies.