Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What coals for BBQ Turkey?
  • anagallis_arvensis

Our oven has just gone pop! Arse

Drac

I thought the went gobble?

Rockape63
    Free Member

It’s possible if you’ve got a big enough bbq, definitely charcoal topped up every hour. Double wrap the turkey in foil and keep turning every hour.

hammyuk
    Free Member

The pub

rewski
    Free Member

Beer can turkey?

anagallis_arvensis

Not wasting my beer like that! Actually we are at the Inlaws for xmas so todays leg of lamb in on BBQ. Using gas rather than charcoal though…its raining and horrible out!!

anagallis_arvensis

The panetone bread and butter pudding may be a challenge though!

martinhutch

If it was a serious suggestion, chop the turkey up a bit so you’re in with a chance of cooking it properly. Food poisoning for Boxing Day!

And what about roast potatoes? parsnips? Desperate times indeed.

mboy
    Free Member

Last minute deal to Tenergrief…

That’s what we’re doing after the farce of last year!

3 days of eating and drinking as much as I can and not having a care in the world in 20 odd degree heat and glorious sunshine…

Drac

Ask a neighbour to cook it tomorrow.

noahhowes
    Free Member

They’ll be hard to find but ‘restaurant grade’ charcoal is the best as it burns at a good constant temp for longer meaning less refilling. But whatever charcoal will do as long as it’s not ‘easy light’.

Spatchcock (excuse me) the turkey too, it’ll cook in half the time (really) and be more even. It’ll make it far easier to do on the BBQ if it fits.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/how-to-spatchcock-cook-turkey-thanksgiving-fast-easy-way-spatchcocked.html

Indirect grilling is your friend too, but use a normal heat rather than the low heat mentioned in the article for smoking ribs.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/2-zone_indirect_cooking.html

Get a temp probe to prevent guessing 77-82 degrees c is the official answer. I’d do 72/3 and let it rest under foil for a while.

It’s really not very hard. Some might be a little overdone if you get bits too hot but it’ll taste great and you’ll enjoy it.

mefty
    Free Member

The local baker where I grew up still does the traditional thing of letting people cook their turkeys in his oven.

revs1972
    Free Member

Last minute deal to Tenergrief…

That’s what we’re doing after the farce of last year!

3 days of eating and drinking as much as I can and not having a care in the world in 20 odd degree heat and glorious sunshine…

Hope the weathers a bit better than Fuerterventura at the moment . Little bit overcast and there is rumours of rain !!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

As you have a gas BBQ, it’s got to be the deep fried turkey:

[video]https://youtube.com/watch?v=OWeiLarxGf0[/video]

joebristol

Weber briquettes burn quite slowly for a long time. I’d probably split the coals to each side and put a foil container of water between them. Make sure the turkey is above the water not the coals. Try not to put too much fuel in at a time to control the heat – don’t want to burn it but equally don’t cook too low or it’ll take forever.

I’d slit the skin at one end over the breast and stuff thin slices of orange all under it and pack it in. Might be worth sticking a load of chopped onion in the cavity too. Should keep it moist that way.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Magical Christmas thanks to me

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What coals for BBQ Turkey?’ is closed to new replies.