Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What chiminea fuel?
  • edward2000
    Free Member

Fire! And lots of it hopefully.

What fuel do you recommend for me to achieve smokeless heat in my chimenea?

molgrips
    Free Member

Not sure about smokeless, but popping over the road to the woods and finding fallen logs resulted in hardwood, which burns for way longer than the pine logs from B&Q.

zilog6128

I only use a basic firepit but I use proper kiln-dried logs and chuck enough on that it gets REALLY hot, that is the key to avoiding smoke. In theory a chimnenea should be easier to get hot enough as the walls should hold a lot of heat.

Best thing I bought (actually got it for open fires while camping but it works great on any fire obviously!) is a little collapsable hollow metal tube, only a few quid on Amazon or eBay. Works a bit like bellows in that you can blow directly into the heart of the fire and get it MEGA hot!!

Gunz
    Free Member

I have a cast iron chimenea and find that getting the chimney good and hot creates a good draw and minimises smoke. Just put a few longer sticks down the chimney and enjoy the flames coming out the top like a jet engine.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

As above, logs. Once it gets going there is no smoke. During lockdown I’ve burned a set of wooden shelves and most of a piano on our chimenea 🙂

derek_starship
    Free Member

Haribo.

Oh…chiminea.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ours doesn’t smoke once it’s going and I burn any old crap in it from the garden. Couple of logs in the bottom to provide the heat and the Prunings just go in the chimney.

nickjb
    Free Member

As above, getting it hot should do it. If you are in a smoke control zone and really need to limit it then make sure your wood is well seasoned and very dry (while not technically smokeless I’d say it is better for the environment than use proper smokeless fuel). You don’t need a lot so keep a stash of wood inside for a week or two before use.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What chiminea fuel?’ is closed to new replies.