• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by br.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What cheapo bog standard under counter oven.
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The element in our no-name under counter oven went over the weekend. Need something to tide us over for 12-18 months till new extension/kitchen. So thinking about something sub £200 from ao.com or similar. Doesn’t need to have a self-cleaning function or anything fancy like that. Are ratings on ao.com reliable indicators? There are a few there sub £200 which look ok. Have looked into replacing element but hassle factor looks like replacing might make me wish I’d spent the money on a new one instead. 🙂 [Have sparky to do connection.,.I’d never undertake that kind of thing myself, oh no…]

Anybody bought similar?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I know a few people who have bought cheap overs and then regretted it, they just don’t appear to cook food properly and break easily.

Yak

Element change is usually easy – c 5min job. Have a look at ransomspares (iirc) or similar source of bits. Usually there is a video to follow too.

Other than that, buy a good oven and move it over to the new kitchen later. Neff etc.

finishthat
    Free Member

Have your sparky replace the element – it took me 5 mins and less than 10 quid for the element on ours. it is much easier than replacing the whole oven.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Have looked into replacing element but hassle factor looks like replacing might make me wish I’d spent the money on a new one instead

You just unscrew the element cover, pull out a spade connector, remove element, then fit the new one. It really is a very simple job and takes minutes. No need for an electrician.

If you really can’t manage that then I recently bought this for a property I rent out beko oven it’s been fine. And in terms of fitting it then if you can wire a plug you can fit an oven.

DezB
    Free Member

I know a few people who have bought cheap overs and then regretted it, they just don’t appear to cook food properly and break easily
    Nearly everyone I have ever known has owned a normal bog standard oven and I think I’ve heard of only one having a problem, when it got old.

AEG are good. My loaded, fussy mate has one that was in his house when he moved in and he raves about it. Our last house had an AEG too, was fine.
    Under £200 to tide you over – worth looking on ebay… Had to do the same when I moved in here, got a Stoves locally, £90 I think, was immaculate – a lot of folk sell on decent stuff when they get their fitted kitchens done.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You just unscrew the element cover, pull out a spade connector, remove element, then fit the new one. It really is a very simple job and takes minutes. No need for an electrician.

😀 You’re not wrong…I’ve just taken the element cover off. Removed element. Generic element available on Amazon for less than £20…I think that might be a no-brainer. 😕

benp1

I replaced the grill element in our oven, was a piece of cake. Take oven out, unscrew element, unplug element, fit element, reverse

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve had to do this twice on my oven.

Once on Christmas Eve last year whilst my wife was stood anxiously next to a rapidly defrosting 19 lb turkey. 5 mins later and Christmas was saved. Hooray!

Once when the whole family were ill with actual flu ( not man flu – if you’ve ever had the real , actual flu then you’ll know the difference)
    Same job. Worst 4 hours of my life.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Element I removed was a 2000W element – I assume an 1800W will work fine…just a little slower (but maybe a bit faster than the one that was about to go bang for a while)?

stumpy01

DezB – Member

Under £200 to tide you over – worth looking on ebay… Had to do the same when I moved in here, got a Stoves locally, £90 I think, was immaculate – a lot of folk sell on decent stuff when they get their fitted kitchens done.

OP, although it sounds like you are gonna replace the element now, I did this ^^^ (get one off ebay) when my Wife broke the glass door on our old oven.
    Managed to get a fancy Kenwood double oven for £50 Buy It Now, from a bloke who’s Wife had insisted on getting a complete new kitchen because she didn’t like the one that they only had put in a few years before. He said he’d tried to persuade her to at least keep the appliances, but she wanted everything new. When he was helping me load it into the car he didn’t sound at all happy about the situation, but I got the impression his Wife wore the trousers and he just did what he was told….. 😆
    We’ve had it about 4 years now & it works fine.

You can also find good deals on factory seconds; stuff with small scratches on them for 1/4 of the RRP; that kind of thing.

masher
    Free Member

I had a Which magazine sub recently when we needed to replace our oven.
    Surprisingly one of their best buy at the time was a pretty cheap Samsung – but its gone up in price since. Its great – and not just for the price.

http://ao.com/product/nv75j3140bw-samsung-electric-single-oven-white-35461-45.aspx

Ok its 79 over budget but you can get 20 off via vouchers. But still over budget 🙁

Anyway I dont have the free Which subs anymore – but you can get one free for a month and see if there are any bargains within budget.

Or if you were me – just fix the old one yourself!

br
    Free Member

I know a few people who have bought cheap overs and then regretted it, they just don’t appear to cook food properly

We had this when we ‘cleaned’ up the kitchen to sell in our old house – cooked crap but house sold easily 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What cheapo bog standard under counter oven.’ is closed to new replies.