Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • What cheap road bike…
  • singletrackmind

My carbon road bikes have calipers, and I can say hole heartily that when it comes to brakes ultegra is supiroir to 105. More power and to a certain degree modulation. 105 won’t kill you, but ultegra gives more confidence when it gets a bit racey

slowoldman

I’d like to know how much you give up on a gravel bike.

Me? Nothing. I’m too slow to notice.

molgrips
    Free Member

Saw a Boardman 8.9c in Halfords today – £1,000 for a Tiagra bike. But it’s pretty light and the frame looks superb. The rest of it looked pretty cheap though, you can see where the money’s gone. Rim brakes tho.

Also a Cube something for £1200 with hydro 105 in Evans – looked like it was well worth the extra.

TiRed

New Tiagra is very good. The wheels will be heavy and round. Personally, for the budget, I’d be looking for rim brakes. The Boardman will be OEM not tiagra dual pivots as it’s an easy place to save money. The cube with discs is probably worth the extra but you are basically paying for the brakes and maybe the wheel upgrade.

For the budget, check the wheels carefully and throw away the tires. The first upgrade will be a decent set of non OEM tyres GP5000 plus tubes is about £70.

molgrips
    Free Member

Personally, for the budget, I’d be looking for rim brakes.

I’d rather increase the budget than get rim brakes. Discs are the most important thing for me.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘What cheap road bike…’ is closed to new replies.