what cheap but good rigid forks (Cotic Soul content)?

Home Forum Bike Forum what cheap but good rigid forks (Cotic Soul content)?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • what cheap but good rigid forks (Cotic Soul content)?
  • Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I put some Exotic Aluiminium forks on my wife’s bike. They seem fine.

No idea why but I thought they’d be more ‘urban proof’ than the Carbon ones (and they were cheaper!).

get some 445 ones.

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=92&p=788&

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I’ve got a set of Exotic carbons that I used to put in my Soul. Don’t think they’d be that suitable for hefty riders as they’re pretty flexy, but they do seem strong- I haven’t managed to break them, anyway.

You can buy the exact same forks with White Bros stickers for about 3 times as much 😉

Oh… I went for the 29er ones, which were longer and slacked the bike off slightly, not sure everyone would agree but I liked it. Going in the Soda next

brakes

they look spot on. the fork selector page is perfect! aluminium would do, but not sure what steerer to go for – I imagine the flex comes from the legs rather than the steerer? ally steerer would be cheaper and would come out around £100.
    I normally run 115mm forks so should I go for 44.5 or 46.5? Probably 44.5 I think.

Don’t think they’d be that suitable for hefty riders

I’m about 80kg.

Salsa Cromotos. My default answer. Got some on my Curtis and they’re lovely.

brakes

I have a Cotic Soul frame hanging up in the shed, and it pains me to see it unused. I feel like knocking it into some kind of cheap urban SS machine (I refuse to use the word hybrid) and have no idea what rigid forks are available or appropriate. I assume I need something suspension corrected? Looking for something under £100, possibly carbon.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

brakes – Member

I’m about 80kg.

I’m 60kg… TBH I reckon you’d be alright but it depends how you feel about flexy parts. I think the flex is a big part of why the forks are good, personally, it takes an edge off all the impacts. But some people like a really stiff fork.

You can get 20mm axle identiti rigid forks for £95 from winstanley’s

Premier Icon fenboy
    Subscriber

salsa cromotos!

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

I normally run 115mm forks so should I go for 44.5 or 46.5? Probably 44.5 I think.

Just look up the axel to crown for your forks, then decide, I think 445 would be equivalent to 80mm travel, but not all are made equal, Got to say I found 445 messed up my pipedream sirius, felt much better with 29er forks on.

brakes

ah, that’s a point. 20mm would be ideal as it would be compatible with other wheelsets I have, but I guess they do have QR converters (if I can find them).

Premier Icon Baldysquirt
    Subscriber

445 is same as 100mmish forks sagged, IIRC.

Conversely to MSP, I had 420mm (80mm corrected) Salsa cromotos on my pipedream and they felt great.

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

I just ordered some Sals Cromoto 29er’s and paid £70. Was gonna go for the Exotics but the £40 saving made my mind up about carbon or steel!!

The Identitis are designed as a jump/park/street fork too. They’ll be about as comfortable as a set of On-One steels… 8)

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

I’ve got a set of Exotic carbons that I used to put in my Soul. Don’t think they’d be that suitable for hefty riders as they’re pretty flexy, but they do seem strong- I haven’t managed to break them, anyway.

I’ve got them on an inbred and am c80-90kgs they’ve been fine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘what cheap but good rigid forks (Cotic Soul content)?’ is closed to new replies.