Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • what cheap (but good) mud tyres?
  • robhenry85
    Free Member

well though i’d get the hardtail ready for some winter fun.

just want some cheap mud/grippy tyres

also what size is best for wet/muddy stuff?

andyl
    Free Member

29″ – Wire bead Maxxis Beavers

26″ – Bonty Mud-X

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Cheap and decent – Mud x

Kryton57

Another for Bonty Mud X…

While we are on the subject anyone run them tubeless? Any better are they?

shortcut

Mud X 29×2.0

stuarty
    Free Member

Im going to try michelin wild diger descent nice deep knobbles

colournoise

Not cheap cheap, but can’t beat Trailrakers for proper mud IMHO.

slainte 🙂 rob

robhenry85
    Free Member

yer i forgot to say i’m an old skool 26er

i was looking at them mud x’s and also specialized Storm Control? also saw Michelin Country Mud for less then a tenner, worth a punt?

davidxbrown
    Free Member

I bought some Geax Datura Tyres from On One back in the summer then went back and bought another pair but tubeless, at £26 for a pair they are amazing value for money. They roll well, have lots of grip in mud and soft conditions, but did notice that they are a little squirmy on hard dare I say dusty trails!

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYGXDTTT/geax_datura_mtb_ust_tubeless_tyre

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve used specialized storm, good as long as the ground is soft, I once made the mistake of leaving them on and riding on a dry day, fekin awfull!

Spesh purgatory’s are good intermediates IMO, they work OK in the mud, but don’t try and kill you if you take them to a trail center.

timc
    Free Member

weight like on those davidxbrown?

singlecrack
    Free Member

26ers .. I always used trailrakers..
    29ers …..you don’t need any mud tyres ..cos 29ers hover above the mud 8)

tomd
    Free Member

The cheap Michelin Country mud are ok in mud but have a compound similar to what would make a kitchen work top. So on anything else they are very slippy / sketchy.

davidxbrown
    Free Member

@timc the none UST version are speced as follows the UST are a little heavier.
    Foldable
    Dimensions : 26 x 2.20
    Weight : 810g

A garage hold it in my hand whats it weigh test against a Trailraker concluded that the Geax was heavier but you can buy two for less than one Trailraker ! so it ticks the cheap box!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Spesh Storm 2.0 here. They’re nicely spiky, can be used in all conditions and weigh next to sniff all in the 2bliss S-Works variety.

I have one on the front of my XC bike and it’s highly recommended.

rewski
    Free Member

Spesh storm control 2 bliss are the new mud x.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Mud X

@Kryton57 …..have run them tubeless on Flows……fine for whole of last winter (and a chunk of “summer” when they came out of retirement) but did pinch flat damage the rear in some speedy sharp edged rocky descent (surprise feature while on an exmoor trail first outing in otherwise swamp like “summer” terrain) ….split the tyre at the bead about a cm in length and it wouldn’t seal. In hindsight, pressure was too low for the rocky section so will notch it up to operator error. They’ll be back on soon no doubt!

localhero94
    Free Member

Always run my mud-x’s tubeless, on stans arch. Pump up easily with a track pump and have never had any problems in 3+ years.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what kind of mud? All mud rides? Time to go somewhere else before you trash the trails.

If it goes beyond what a minion can cope with it’s either wet screams for DH or go somewhere else

zippykona

Full on mud try schwalbe cx pro. 1.3 wide slice through mud, £13 each, light and give huge mud clearance.
    You will pedal through that bog that leaves everyone looking for their boots in the gloop.
    Rubbish on rocks but generations of cyclo cross riders can’t be wrong.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

My pair of trailrakers for £20 posted?

saxabar
    Free Member

I’m running a Conti’ Baron (£13?) on the rear of my Stiffee and really happy with it.

vorlich
    Free Member

Mux X was good least year on the rear, kept it on up until about a month ago as it was pretty good in ‘normal’ conditions too, was fairly worn though. Probably best swapped out once conditions improve if you want two seasons out of it.

DanW
    Free Member

Bonty Mud-X all the way!

iainc

I ran trailrakers for years but switched to Mud X last year and have just sold the trailrakers. I find Mud X better in all but real gloop

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘what cheap (but good) mud tyres?’ is closed to new replies.