Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What chainsaw?
  • headfirst
    Free Member

As mentioned in my shed alarm thread, I’ve had my chainsaw nicked. 😥 👿

It was a Stihl, and all else I can remember about it was it was petrol and it was orange and white 😐 I’ve found the instruction manual and it’s for the MS 210 or 230 or 250, and I remember paying roughly £300 for it about 10 years ago.

Now I’ve been looking online (in particular, on the ‘world of power’ website, great company name!)and I’m dazzled by the choice. I’m looking to buy Stihl petrol again, but I can’t really see much difference between one costing £200 and £300. Is it worth getting an ergo start one for I presume first time starting?
    It’s only for groundwork, cutting up for splitting for the burner. Any advice would be gratefully received.

WillH

I recently bought a Stihl MS170 on the basis of a similar thread on here a few months ago. I’ve only used it for maybe 15 hours but it’s been faultless so far. Starts easily even on cold mornings (it’s winter in this half of the world), 14″ bar so in theory can handle 2’+ diameter logs but I’d probably use my big saw for stuff that big. Hasn’t struggled for power, I recently chopped up some lumps of blue gum, the awkward bits where big branches split off from the trunk. It’s well-seasoned and is like granite. Wasn’t hot-knife-though-butter cutting, but managed fine. Worth a look.

granny_ring

MS181 with a 14″ bar?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    glasgowdan
    Free Member

husqvarna saws feel nicer (to me) tha Stihl, so I’d always go for one of those over Stihl (trading on a reputation from years ago, now surpassed by various other brands in my opinion).

headfirst
    Free Member

go on glasgowdan, tell me more. I see for about the same price, the husky saw has a bigger cc, but the same power output? the feel nicer in terms of less vibration?

Both the stihl recommendations look good, cheers will and g r , especially as they’re closer to £200 rather than £300.

EDIT: actually looking at the reviews I’m not sure I need a lot of convincing gd!

http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/husqvarna-135-40-9cc-petrol-14-chainsaw.html#tabs

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Yep, lower vibes compared to similar models. Nice controls, smoother running. Good backup and loads of parts available. My current main saw is a 357xp which I got used for £225 3 years ago. Not been serviced in that time and still runs great.

timbur
    Free Member

MS181 all the way on that budget :O)
    Stihl feels stronger imho. Husq feels a bit cheap.
    We’re all different though.
    Tim

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What chainsaw?’ is closed to new replies.