Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What chainguide?
  • andyl
    Free Member

Bloomin expensive for what they are. Quite like the simplicity of the OneUp ones but anything else to consider?

Would Need an ISCG05 for the Bird and BB mount for the C456. Both running oval NW rings. Anyone run the big ones that also act as a bashguard?

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I am a big fan of the one up Top and bash, very good product well made and specced.

legend
    Free Member

BB mount for the C456

Can you run something seat tube mounted instead? BB ones tend to be the worst option in terms of things staying exactly where they should, especially if there’s a bash guard connected

I use a Hope one with bash guards. Works as you’d hope it would

stevied
    Free Member

Using the OneUp direct mount one here, no problems at all.

SirHC

Run the oneup on both bikes (Reign/Trance) for extra security. Cheap, light and does the job.

weeksy

As per them, using the on-up from CRC and does exactly what it’s supposed to do.

andyl
    Free Member

Can you run something seat tube mounted instead?

Considered it but they look a bit ugly and most are low mount but the frame tapers out at the BB joint so generally need high mount FDs and I suspect the chainguide will be similar. Wasnt planning on having a bash on that, just considering it for the Aeris is ISCG05 tabs.

One Up currently have 20% off so considering a couple of theirs but the bash one is $75 before discount.

RSP ones on ebay look quite decent.

Northwind

I like these titchy ones like One Up etc, no reason for anything bulkier with a narrow/wide ime. They do seem expensive for what they are- you get about 1/3d as much stuff after all- but they work so well, anything else is a little bit of a false economy really.

(I went for a daft Shovel carbon fibre guide, because it was cheap at the time, and it is lovely. The 2-bolt ISCG design meaning it can be fitted without removing cranks is such an aid when setting up, too. Really is a very fine bit of kit.

Why do you want a skidplate type? Not going to say they’re pointless, but it’s extra noise, weight, drag and hassle and for most folks doesn’t really add anything. Your chain’s steel, it’ll stand up to an occasional bump.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Took the E13 TRS+ off my Capra recently, been on there since I bought it in May, only laziness has stopped me taking it off before now tbh, I only see them being relevant to racing, which I don’t really do.

I’ll not be looking for much candy for it, gimme an email if you want it, it’s this one –

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/e-thirteen-trs-chain-guide/rp-prod132654?gs=1&gclid=COWukJaOwdACFQEz0wodYHYOTA&gclsrc=aw.ds

legend
    Free Member

I only see them being relevant to racing

I don’t want my chain coming off in any situation – going to crank the pedals and find that you’re chain isn’t on properly is never a good thing

Kahurangi

I like these titchy ones like One Up etc, no reason for anything bulkier with a narrow/wide ime

I’ve had a 77 designs one* for about 3 years now – they’re great and help when the NW is so worn that the chain retention has started to drop-off significantly.

However as it’s not a completely closed cage, the chain is able to be forced past and it can be a right pain to force it back past the guide and on to the chain ring.

*the design now being licenced by Wolftooth? actually, theirs looks different, must be someone else

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t want my chain coming off in any situation – going to crank the pedals and find that you’re chain isn’t on properly is never a good thing

Absolutely, but in 3 years of using Narrow wide and clutch mechs, It’s only happened to me twice, and both times were on a very worn chainring over particularly rough tracks, so more user error than the set up tbh.

qtip

I’m a fan of Gamut chain devices. Not the cheapest, but not MRP / E13 prices. Very light too. Not sure I’d want one with an integrated bash plate as the mounting plates aren’t the strongest (unless they thicken them up for the version with the bash plate).

edd

I am a big fan of the one up Top and bash, very good product well made and specced.

+1

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I used to have a Shimano SMCD50. It was really good and a sensible price. I had an ethirteen SRS+ before that but preferred the more minimal but just as effective Shimano.

wiggles
    Free Member

Specialized do a nice small top guide, 2 bolt iscg05 mounted for £25.

toomba
    Free Member

wiggles any idea where you can get the specialized ones?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What chainguide?’ is closed to new replies.