Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What chain lube?
  • ads678

My bikes used to be kept in a fairly dry cellar but i moved house before Christmas and they now get kept in a not very dry garage and my chains are now suffering.

Used to just regularly spray them with a teflon based bike spray but that’s not cutting it now.

I don’t want an argument about whether or not people should use GT85 or WD40 blah, blah, but which chain lubes are decent and is wet or dry better for keeping them good in damp conditons?

I will be sorting the garage out later in the year so hopefully next winter won’t be as bad!!

stufive
    Free Member

Halfords do a decent wet lube, i never use WD or the like as it acts like a degreaser taking all the oil off

joolsburger
    Free Member

my station and garden kept bikes get chain juice and it’s fine.

grum
    Free Member

Finish Line Wet generally.

stufive
    Free Member

Finish line thats the one 🙂

TuckerUK
    Free Member

If you want something that actually lubricates he chain and don’t mind a dirty chain, car gear oil as recommend by chain makers themselves – the thicker the better. The thickest I’ve found cheaply is Comma EP85W-140 GL-5 1 litre from Wilco @ £4.99 Wilco. 330 cSt at 40 degree C.

So that’s £4.99 per litre against (e.g.) Finish Line at £70 odd.

FuzzyWuzzy

Are you riding them or just storing them? If storing then a thin dry lube should be fine, if riding then depends what conditions you’re riding in – wet lube stays on longer but usually attracts more gunk. Stuff like Muc-Off C3 wet and Purple Extreme are a good compromise, generally staying pretty clean but also lasting well.

ads678

Are you riding them or just storing them?

Deff riding them just not as much as usual due to the house move and other stuff (kids)!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What chain lube?’ is closed to new replies.