Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What chain lube?
  • paulfulford
    Free Member

For these dry and dusty, distinctly un-English conditions?

DaveBro
    Free Member

I have been using pedros 'ice wax' but compared to the wet weather / mixed condition stuff, you have to put more on and i find it needs 'toppping up' after every ride – so i am getting through alot of it! however, it is nice having a clean looking drivetrain.

Unimpressed with 'finishline' stuff – find it too watery [initialy messy], doesnt seem to last as well as the more viscous pedros stuff.

nuke

Squirt

http://www.in2dust.co.uk/index.html

It is very good but I think they've run out now of the free samples due to it's popularity.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've always used pedros road in the summer and atb in the winter. However, I'm trying squirt at the moment both on and off road and I have to say, I'm really impressed so far.

spev

third vote for squirt, once my free sample runs out i'll be buying a bottle

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

putoline chain wax. £18 per kilo and effective – if a faff to apply – but only needs to be applied every few hundred miles

stuey
    Free Member

I think it all depends on the tyres your using.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

squirt under 30 miles

foxyrider
    Free Member

+1 Squirt – I use my tester bottle as pack lube bottle for longer rides int eh summer as it dries so Quick in the is weather 🙂

3rock
    Free Member

Squirt, even in the wet unless you're on an all day epic. So nice to have a non-filthy bike and drivechain to deal with when taking wheel on and off as well….

noidea
    Free Member

I found the free sample of squirt to be excellent so bought a bottle.I have found it great in both wet and dry conditions,only snag though is i think the chain may wear faster.I have a couple of new chains to fit and will try it with them and see how long they last compared to usual.

4ndyB
    Free Member

Currently testing Squirt & Juice Lubes Ceramic lube.

After ~150 miles on each bike, each has a different lube I've found that…

Squirt is ok, chain gets a little noisy after 20miles or so (chain was degreased & well lubed as per instructions)

JL Ceramic performs better than Squirt with less chain noise, but it does pick up more muck than Squirt (not as much as normal wet lubes though)

Need to put more mileage in on both bikes to fully test the lubes, but so far I'd recommend JL Ceramic even though it's (a little) more expensive than Squirt

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Green oil works for me.

mtb_rob
    Free Member

Currently just use Finishline but would be interested to try Squirt as it seems to be much better from above reveiws. Where can I get my hands on a tester?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Squirt-Seems to last ok,dosent attract dirt

neninja
    Free Member

I use Squirt too

It works very well but as said I find my chain starts to get noisy again after about 20 miles.
    Also it's not great in long grass as the waxy residue it leaves on the cassette and jockey wheels seems to glue the grass to it more so than other lubes I've used.

When I've finished the bottle I'm going to give the Pedros and Juice Lubes a go.

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

I got a tester of Squirt and liked it, so I too have bought a bottle. Don't mind adding it after every ride as it means I'm less likely to just leave it. Tried a number of different lubes of different types so happy to give it a good crack.

mr_stru

I've been using the Pedros Ice Wax stuff and it seems ok. You do get a lot of black sticky clagg building up, especially on the jockey wheels – I tend to wipe off the jokey wheels as well as the chain after application. The chain does get a bit noisy after a few rides, although I think it's probably better than squirt in this respect.

Doesn't seem to attract much crap though, just not as wonder clean as the blurb would have you believe.

Does come in decent sized bottles which seem to last a fair while which is a bonus.

Used squirt on the commuting bike over the winter and the chain seemed to wear out at a fearful rate but it was a grim old winter so hard to say which was the cause.

gamo
    Free Member

Also using Squirt at the minute and very happy with it. Equally impressed with Rock and Roll Extreme which i find even cleaner than Squirt and lasts
    nearly as long.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Interesting to hear the comments about chain wear. Anyone have any theories about how this might happen? So long as it fills the gaps in the links and stops it turning into a grinding paste, how can chain lube affect chain wear?

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Because it doesn't lubricate?

No point in having a lube that leaves things very clean if it does not have adequate lubricating properties.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I reakon the putoline is so good simply because it stays on the chain so well – hundreds of miles in winter even. chain wear is loads less than with finish line

Onzadog
    Free Member

there was a study in the states that concluded that chain lube doesn't make much difference to wear or efficiency. They said the most helpful thing it does is fill the gaps in the chain and stops them filling with abrasive particles. It all sounded logical at the time. Still seems to make sense and throws an interesting light on the whole chain lube arguments.

Grimy
    Free Member

there was a study in the states that concluded that chain lube doesn't make much difference to wear or efficiency. They said the most helpful thing it does is fill the gaps in the chain and stops them filling with abrasive particles. It all sounded logical at the time. Still seems to make sense and throws an interesting light on the whole chain lube arguments.

I was just about to ask weather anybody had conducted any tests on wear rate comparing the wet against dry. I guess that answered it. I must admit ive been a little sceptical about the dry stuff, it never sounds quite as slick. 😕

nickc

Finish line green or the ceramic road stuff. drop on each link, wipe off excess. last forever, does the job. can't be arsed with trying anything else anymore.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I've been using the finish line dry stuff. I soaked the chain in it about 2 months ago wiped off the links and everything seems to be working fine have no need to reapply yet.. Hate finish line green seems to attract crap, for the winter a mate has bought a big bottle of chainsaw lube so am going to try that.

speaker2animals

Very impressed with Squirt on the road bike. Only reapplying about every 200-300 dry miles. Does the trick, clean looking drive chain, shifts well, runs quiet. Probably do use more than wet lubes. I have Finish Line wax but it's a pain to apply (clogs in the nozzle, you need to shake the bottle every 2 or 3 links to keep the flow).

Edric64
    Free Member

Pound shop 3in 1 copy

hambl90
    Free Member

gt85

genghispod
    Free Member

Jools – don't use chainsaw lube! Its the most viscous oil ever and will leave sticky strings all over the back end of your bike. Trust me, I've tried it.

Or try it yourself and be amazed at the viscosity or modern oils.

joolsburger
    Free Member

noted thanks

_tom_
    Free Member

White Lightning clean-ride seems to work fine for me.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What chain lube?’ is closed to new replies.