Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What chain line are you using – mtb
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

Last bottle of squirt just finished so thought I’d ask you lot what dry lubes you are using and how they last when the going gets wet and muddy?
    Tia

tjagain

still putoline boil in the tin wax here! Much cheaper, much more effective than anything I have tried. Couple of hundred wet and muddy offroad miles, thousands on road

ossify

Muc-Off wet lube. Cos it smells nice.
    Chain line varies as I have 3×9.

Glad I could help 🙂

martinhutch

53mm

Smoove – 40-50 miles in mixed conditions, if applied correctly.

kula72
    Free Member

I use the finish line stuff but it doesn’t really cut it when it rains hard. I get chainring grind after 5k or so.

Slopping a bit of wet lube on after a quick wipe with a gt85 soaked rag doesn’t take long though.

scotroutes

I’m just trying out Purple Extreme. So far with very good results. I’ve done a couple of 100km rides with river crossings etc and not needed to re-apply anything. Squirt I found to be useless on anything above 30-40km.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rock n roll blue extreme. It’s not cheap, it just works, and my chain/cassette stays clean.

Putoline if you’re some kind of morphed Fred Dibnah/sado masochist, with a house that smells like a firelighter manufacturing plant.

cp

Purple Extreme – excellent stuff. Just make sure you apply it post-ride ready for the next ride rather than pre-ride so it has a bit of time to dry out.

Used it for years, and have dabbled with other lubes but always come back as it’s far superior

deadkenny
    Free Member

Stick with Squirt.

Been using it for years now, winter & summer, dry and mud. Shiny chain every time. Just needs a wipe when muddy or quick pass with a hose if bad. Never need chain cleaner aside from first fit (and even then I now run the factory lube for a while until it’s done then just stick Squirt on).

Says about not letting it get below 0 degrees, but it’s rarely that cold in Surrey and I’ve ridden in sub-zero snow with the stuff and still no problem.

Apply after every ride. Buy the big “shop” bottle. Better value and spout is longer / easier to apply. Also, apply a good 5 mins before riding and I apply it to the inside of the chain and spin the chain for a bit. Key is to get into the rollers. The surface isn’t that important (which is why wet lube is shit as it sits on the surface and sucks in dirt).

I do 60 miles rides with the stuff no problem.

dove1

Currently using Smoove after using Squirt for the last 8 years.
    I’ll be changing back once the bottle is empty.

superleggero
    Free Member

ProGold Prolink in summer, and the thicker ProGold Prolink Xtreme in winter.

chakaping
    Free Member

Weldtite TF wet

Muc Off dry

Got both cheap in 1 litre bottles and both work very well

SirHC

Squirt, no black mucky drivetrains. ALso lasts pretty well in the wet, 30 odd miles with no noise.

windyg
    Free Member

Another one for Squirt, if applied correctly it works in all conditions.

nicko74

And Squirt > Smoove?

scotroutes

Purple Extreme – excellent stuff. Just make sure you apply it post-ride ready for the next ride rather than pre-ride so it has a bit of time to dry out.

Good tip.

I could pee better chain lube than Squirt and it would last longer, 30 miles?? A ha ha ha ha ha.

clubby

Always find it hilarious that people think that 30 miles is good mileage for a lube application.
    Tried Squirt, properly following instructions and found it awful. Definitely the marmite of chain lubes. Same with Purple extreme.
    Currently happy with Muc Off dry after picking it up in offer in Aldi last winter. Strikes a good balance between lasting a good few rides without getting too manky. Only real downside is that it tends to build up on jockeys if you over apply and needs scraped off with a screwdriver.

Northwind

Still putoline here. And epic ride any time I need anything else (ie topups when I’m away on holiday or something).

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Muc-Off wet lube. Cos it smells nice.

I could almost drink it. Trying it for the first time. Does it leave things clean (fed up with the filth Finish Line leaves behind)?

chakaping
    Free Member

Always find it hilarious that people think that 30 miles is good mileage for a lube application.

Really? You must be easily pleased.

I am mildly amused that some people are proud of how long their pan-fried concoctions go between applications, but it doesn’t even raise a smile.

I just re-lube with the appropriate bottle before each ride, job done.

scotroutes

I could almost drink it. Trying it for the first time. Does it leave things clean

No. Cassette and chainrings will eventually gunk up, even if you are being careful not to apply too much and giving it time to set. On the upside, it lasts a long time, even in wet conditions.

Quite. I can only imagine that they must be carrying around a bottle of the stuff for replenishment en route.

tjagain

Its just nice to not have to lube the chain everytime you go out and not to have to take lube on a two week tour!

I look at my bike, see the chain is still well lubed and clean and go out
    Haven’t done my commuter this year yet – its still fine from last years application

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Its just nice to not have to lube the chain everytime you go out and not to have to take lube on a two week tour!buy a deep fat fryer to keep yer chain quiet

FTFY Brah. 😋😂

tjagain

nope – I just chuck it on the stove. vastly extended life is also great

alphaboo

I have been using muc off dry lube but go anywhere near water and it’s gone halfway around a 30 mile ride .I have got a bottle of tru tension bananaslip tungsten to try just wondering if anyone has given this a go yet?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

2 stroke oil, remove chain and clean thoroughly in a bottle of white spirit, hang up to drip dry then leave overnight in a litre of 2 stroke oil hang up to drain off and wipe clean, good for a 4-5 rides.
    I want to try the putoline but I have nowhere to heat it and weve just had a new oven, my mrs would have my testes on a fork if I used that.

tjagain

cheekyboy – deep fat fryer or camping stove?

Want one treated post it to me and I will do it for yo to see if you rate it – most of us do but a couple do not
    PM me if you want to take me up on it

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What chain line are you using – mtb’ is closed to new replies.