Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What chain for winter??
  • oliwb
    Free Member

So got a SRAM something or other (9 spd) on the Alpine 160. Seems to rust at an alarming rate between rides….look after the bike fairly well – wash down with hose (not pressure one) after each ride….GT85’d and then lubed up with some Finishline wet lube. Doesn’t seem to make a blind bit of difference as two days letter I come back to an orange chain with stick links! Have also tried the don’t wash it and chuck it in the shed approach, which didn’t fair any better! Have also left it in the back of the campervan for a week after riding (still with mud on) and it comes out the same just as quickly!

Have heard a few people say KMC’s last okay?

jota180
    Free Member

You need to lube the chain well and then wipe it over with an oily rag
    Or clean and lube it and then remove it before you wash the bike

oliwb
    Free Member

Never had it with any of the other bikes….have a suspicion this is first SRAM chain I’ve run – previous ones have probably been Shimano. Maybe SRAM just aren’t as durable.

boxxer7
    Free Member

For a start GT85 is no good on chains it strips off the wax. The cheaper SRAM ones do rust but if your lubing it up correctly you shouldn’t get any problems. What lube do you use? I’ve always found shimano chains snap far to easily!

roverpig

The only solution I’ve found is to wash the bike then bring it inside and stick it next to a radiator to dry out properly before applying the lube.

The only other solution, I think, is not to try and keep it looking shiny in the winter. So, use a wet lube but don’t use and degreaser (including GT85) when you wash the bike. After a while the whole drivetrain goes black, but at least it doesn’t rust.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

The same chain you use in the summer.

johnellison
    Free Member

The same chain you use in the summer.

This.

Never had it with any of the other bikes….have a suspicion this is first SRAM chain I’ve run – previous ones have probably been Shimano. Maybe SRAM just aren’t as durable.

SRAM chains are miles better than Shimani IMHO. They don’t wear as fast. Never had an issue with them rusting though. Always degrease/dry immediately/wetlube mine, never had trouble.

sam42
    Free Member

Had good longevity using Connex 9sg chain, brass coated links stave off the corrosion nicely, it’ll still rust if its not looked after but it didn’t snap from months of neglect like the two SRAM ones that preceded it.
    Currently using a Connex 9sb which has a highly wear resistant anti corrosion coating (uses glass flakes in a two part epoxy as far as I can fathom) but its only been on two weeks so its to early for me to fully endorse it, it is BLACK though!
    Good cleaning and lubing is essential though, I like finish line ceramic stuff..

superfli
    Free Member

I’ve found SRAM to be much better than Shimano. Got a KMC 10speed too, which again seems far better than Shimano (which I snapped a number of, so stopped using). SRAM 951 is fine.

I’ll wash my bike after the ride and spray wd40 as a water dispersant. Then lube a few hours later. Wet lube in winter, dry in summer.
    Works for me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What chain for winter??’ is closed to new replies.