Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What cat litter
  • mrsfry
    Free Member

currently using Cat’s Best Öko Plus Cat Litter 30 Litre but it tracks a stupid amount. I want somthing that clumps and is flushable as well as safe, none stinky and not clay.

My girls are indoor guard cats (front door opens and they run the other way) so need to keep them happy.

Thank you

martinhutch

When you say ‘tracks’, what do you mean – they’re carrying it around on their paws after having a dump?

Try having something removable/washable they can scrape their paws at the entrance to the tray – cats will naturally want to do this.

We just use wood pellet litter. Tried the clay clumping stuff and it seemed to make more mess and was harder to clean up overall, just turning into sludge which stuck to the tray even when you tried to hose it off.

cranberry
    Free Member

I have used Biocat, but it tracks. I tried Greenwoods whilst on holiday in the UK and was impressed with it – it really does soak things up and doesn’t track as much.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/greenwoods_cat_litter/greenwoods_clumping_wood_litter/475317

Edit – a good litter tray mat is important to stop tracking – do you have/use one ?

Just read some of the reviews of the Greenwoods and people are saying that it tracks – I wonder if it didn’t seem too bad because my mum’s place has a beige carpet ? :-#

mrsfry
    Free Member

@martinhutch
    They have mats next to the trays, but when they bury it they tend to throw it around.

@cranberry
    Looks like the one i use. Out of stock 🙁 will try it though and hope it is not as lite as the one i am using. Thank you

carlosg
    Free Member

We use THIS ONE from B+M stores . I don’t know if you have any stores in your area.

Our cat is an indoor girl too and also runs a mile if she see’s the door open.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

shittest thread ever in more ways than one

Cougar

when they bury it they tend to throw it around.

The problem there isn’t the litter; you need a covered litter tray.

CHB

We too use OKO Cat’s best, and with four British Blue indoor pooing machines we get through quite a bit. It does track, but we just get round it by hovering, hovering a LOT.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Mine use whatever is in next doors flower beds

mrsfry
    Free Member

The problem there isn’t the litter; you need a covered litter tray.

You’ve not met my girls have you. for the safety of every life on this planet NO cover.

Thanks CHB and Carlosg

My other mistake in life was teaching them to tell me when they poop. I have not slept through an entire night yet without being woken by a happy empty cat 🙁

thebrowndog
    Free Member

My other mistake in life was teaching them to tell me when they poop.

Is intrigued.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Catsan

rickmeister

What Ming said.
    Catsan is ace, even I can drop in and log on with impunity. It desiccates the half kilo solid, just so, to be able to pick up the stool and fling it in the wood burner.

I find the sound and texture soothing as it passes through my fingers my cats paws, leaving no trace….

It’s even possible to use Catsan in Xmas decorations as imitation snow… Great as a base for tea lights on the table

gallowayboy

Most of the wood pellet ones are great, wrap it up and chuck it in the stove when done, great calorific value as well……….

beamers

@cloudnine – are you my neighbour?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Clumping litter is awful stuff – as said above it is just a pain to clean up afterwards. Wood pellets is ok if they’ll use it (ours won’t), as is the paper-based stuff if they’ll use it (ours won’t)…

z1ppy

Wood pellet convert here, the bin doesn’t weigh a quarter weight it did with normal cat litter, and never noticed any smell from the used tray.

Cougar

Catsan, that’s the stuff I used to use, I think.

Cougar

Or rather, I bought for my cat, I didn’t use it personally.

Quiet at the back.

CountZero

If the local cats are anything to go by, then a big bag of gravel like you’d put down on your drive; they seem happy enough to shit in it right by my car door, so sticking some in a tray ought to work just fine. 😕

mrsfry
    Free Member

Thanks chaps i will do some test trials with them 🙂

thebrowndog

My other mistake in life was teaching them to tell me when they poop.

Is intrigued.

I wanted them not to be afraid of pooping, so i made it as fun for them as i could.

cranberry
    Free Member

With my 2 I know exactly when they’ve pooped – they could bring a tear to a fly’s eye.

Oh and they generally save up their poop for the evening when I’ve just come home from work and have sat down with a cuppa and a biscuit.

👿

fasthaggis

Expectations

Advanced

Reality

martinhutch

Most of the wood pellet ones are great, wrap it up and chuck it in the stove when done, great calorific value as well…

Come home to a real fire…that stinks of cat piss?

I’ve just put my two into covered trays because of their habit of just pissing sideways out of an open tray, normally up against the wall.

It’s like a little miracle.

rocketman
    Free Member

Just the basic clumping stuff for ours it seems to work well enough. it does what it has to and buries it no problem

For such a small animal it has some tremendous evacuations no wonder it can run up trees and vault fences after it’s been

loddrik
    Free Member

I have 4 cats all who are 90% indoor, they even come back inside to crap FFS! I have two litter trays which I change daily, I avoid clumping stuff as it becomes unusable after a few cat visits. After years of experimentation I use Tesco Everyday Value Lightweight Cat Litter, £1.55 a bag. Best for value in my experience.

The absolute best is Tesco Low Dust Lightweight Cat Litter, if I had one or two cats it’s what I’d use but with 4 cats and at £3.10 a bag it gets a bit pricey to change two trays a day.

stevemtb
    Free Member

I use the cheap supermarket stuff too (Tesco basic stuff does seem better than the others) and change it fairly often.

Really liked the covered tray but it actually causes me more issues than it solved as one of mine pees against the back wall which runs down it and out between the join onto the floor. They have no issues with an open tray.

Paper has been the only thing I’ve found trails round the house in a major way.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What cat litter’ is closed to new replies.