• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by aP.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What cassette/ratios on your CX?
  • IHN

The ‘will he ever actually build it’ CX/commute/general roadiness frame is actually, nearly built. So, down to the bike-nerd nitty-gritty, i.e. gear ratios. It’s got a 50/34 chainset and the cassette I have is a 13-25.

Will that do? Well, obviously it’ll do, but people seem to have strong opinions about these things, so feel free to speak them.

crazy-legs

For commuting/roadie stuff, yes it’ll work although off-road you may find yourself struggling a bit on steep climbs.

Mine is 34/48 with a 12-27 cassette but it sees a fair bit of off-road and I need the lower gears!

marcus
    Free Member

Planning on getting stronger, and not going with a triple ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Steve-Austin
    Free Member

50/34 and a 12/27 for me. big gaps between 50 and 34 but it does for for everything

JoB
    Free Member

you should be fine, hill/leg ratio depending obviously, although the 50/34 gap would annoy the tits off me

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

12/27 with a 36/50 on the cx with road tyres, 11/32 with 26/36/48 on my other cx bike – very very rarely use the granny ring.

also have a bike i use as a shopper with panniers etc, thats cobbled together with an 11/34 and 32/42/52 and gets me up anything when fully loaded.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’m with crazy-legs – 34/48 up front, 12-27 at the back.

simon1975

39/53 and 12-28 for CX and occasional road. Not enough ground clearance with the 53T ring, but it’s rapid on the tarmac

aP
    Free Member

My old CX was 46/38 with a variety of blocks for different conditions, the one I’ve just bought has 50/34 and will probably be de-105’d in a couple of months for Centaur and I’ll probably put an old set of Chorus carbon 48/34 cranks on.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What cassette/ratios on your CX?’ is closed to new replies.