Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What car/van for 4 adults & 3 kids?
  • bob_summers

Kids are age 6m, 18m, and 7y so need to include a folding pram and a buggy in the payload.

I know bugger all about cars but have been tasked with hiring one for a road trip over xmas. Do we need a van, or would I get away with a Zafira (for example)? It says 7 places. Enough room in the back for the two buggies and a bit of luggage?

scotroutes

You’ll need bigger than a Zafiri. Something like a Tourneo or a Vivaro/Trafic would be ideal.

midlifecrashes

Luggage as well? Too tight with a Zafira/Touran/Verso. S-Max could probably hold the buggies but v. little luggage as well. Galaxy/Alhambra/Grand Voyager would be the starting point I think.(S-Max owner here)

Edit: Can they sort some roof bars/box for the excess gear?

matt_outandabout

Depends on size of buggy and pram.

A zafira/ touran etc would cope with smaller buggy and suitcases for five fine (we did it for years in Touran or Passat estate). Baby seat size may also be an issue if you have the daft big ones.

If they are big buggy and pram, look for a proper full size 7 seater like a Galaxy or Sharan.

bob_summers

Problem is one is a 2 in 1 type buggy which still has the pram attachment. It doesn’t fold that small at all. The other is a pushchair.

Proper vans are proving expensive, getting into train/plane prices.

matt_outandabout

Cheaper to buy a compact pram then…

bob_summers

Nice lateral thinking!

Best I can come up with is a Seat Alhambra 7pax, not sure if that’s a ‘full size’ mini van. As the only driver I just want to take the train…

Thanks for the replies!

matt_outandabout

I just re-read – four adults and the kids. Minibus or two mid size cars.

maccruiskeen

The problem you’ll have hiring is hire co’s don’t guarantee the make and model when you book, just the class of car you are hiring (notice how in the link all the listings start ‘e.g.’) and they can be a bit loose with defining those classes.

When booking 7 seaters I’ve been given both a Zafira (which you can fit 2 adults and 5 children into… and very little else), and a merc V class which you could chauffeur 7 adults from the boardroom to the golf course in. Both on the same booking details and both for the same price.

chakaping
    Free Member

You need a minibus I reckon.

Even with a crewcab van you can only fit six.

Tiger6791

We’ve done 4 adults, 3 kids, dog and 2 push chairs in a Discovery.

Tight though, reckon you need a Galaxy or Minibus

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What car/van for 4 adults & 3 kids?’ is closed to new replies.