What car polish?

Home Forum Chat Forum What car polish?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • What car polish?
  • Premier Icon Trekster
    Subscriber

All these car threads made me wonder what is the latest and greatest car polish?

dc11

As a ‘polish’, I really don’t think you can beat Autoglym Super Resin Polish. It’s great at masking light swirls/scratches and really brings out the colour.

On top of the polish I’d go for Dodo Juice Blue Velvet ‘wax’ if you have a dark colour, or Poorboys EX-P ‘sealant’ if you have a very light/silver colour. Both give great results to their respective colours.

wors

Polish Car? πŸ˜†

dc11

Also, It always amazes me how much of a difference claying the car before hand makes.

I use that Kiwi stuff

wolly

dodo juice? CLICK UK company smells great too

matttromans

Halfords are doing an offer on the Autoglym stuff at the moment. Shampoo, polish, and gloss protection coat. Gave it a go last weekend, very impressive. All 3 for Β£20.

mau00149

Used to use autoglym super resin polish followed by some of their wax to protect it.

Now using bilthamber products, great stuff – i use their auto wash, clay and autobalm as a combination. Great stuff. If the cars paint is in poor condition, i’d still use a polish after the clay prior to the autobalm to restore it’s shineyness.

As mentioned above, well worth claying the car beforehand (the bilthamber clay uses water as a lube and is so easy to use), you’ll be amazed how much grime will come off a “clean” car. No point polishing a dirty surface.

nealglover

As mentioned above, very little point waxing and polishing if you haven’t prepped the surface properly beforehand.

After washing and drying, 1st step would be clay Bar treatment to remove contamination from the paintwork
    Then a decent tar and glue remover below the middle of the doors.

This would make the effect from a good wax far more noticeable

I use a trade version of Farecla Suoer Gloss Paste Wax, superb wax to use, easy on and very easy off. You could leave it for hours and it would still come off easy. And it’s not white so no residue.
    The finish is brilliant and It lasts for months too if applied right.

Machine Polishing with a Fast Rotary machine to get rid of swirl marks and minor scratches is also well worth doing, but its not really a DIY and can cause some serious problems if you don’t know what you are doing

But done correctly its like a miracle cure for paintwork that’s been abused by the “Gritty Sponge” Β£5 hand car wash. πŸ˜‰

Mr_Mojo

I used to use Zymol but now use Swissvax “Best of Show”

slowmart

Mr Mojo,

I have just over half a tub of B of Show if your interested.

In simple terms I had a seizure 5 weeks ago which means I have surrendered my license and my beloved Aston has been sold. Nothing to polish now!!

I can email pics if your interested?

renton

How much for the best of show mate?

Email in profile

nicolaisam

I like the 3m Perfect It III Fast Cut Plus.

Amazing stuff.

nealglover

I could be interested in the Swissvax too if the price is right.

(And if Renton doesn’t want it)

Nealglover@gmail.com

Premier Icon Woody
    Subscriber

Not one to impress the purists but I’ve been using this Mantis stuff for a couple of years now (I’m a sucker for stuff that promises ‘miracles’ and am too lazy to ‘do it properly’ πŸ˜‰ ) Works very well and goes straight onto a dirty car and seems to last for ages. In fact the guy at the local petrol station commented that my car was always gleaming when I hadn’t cleaned it for about 4 months.

As an added bonus, bird shit and tree sap seems to disappear as soon as you drive in the rain!

ps. I have no connection to the seller or product company

schrickvr6

Chemical Guys stuff is good value, love the Jetseal 109.

Premier Icon Trekster
    Subscriber

New car so just wanting to get some good protection on it asap
    Son uses products from; http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Special_Offers.html
    Your thoughts?

allthegear

I’ve just ordered a new car and been offered this Auto Glym treatment called “LifeShine”. Looks like a teflon coating over the paintwork, among other things.

Worth it??

Rachel

nealglover

Regarding New Car Protection.

TRIBOS is worth a look, developed for Boats (very harsh environment) and guaranteed for 4 Years.

http://Www.TRIBOScoatings.com

That Mantis stuff, it’s a good job they include a scratch remover in the kit to remove the scratches caused by washing a car without any water using the Instant Shine πŸ˜‰

Providing you keep using it, it will look good because its packed full of fillers to cover up the scratches it’s causing.

If it was washed and decontaminated properly, and the paint stripped of all the fillers, it would look shocking !

renton

If you want a durable wax then put some collinte 476 on it over the winter and then get a decent wax for when it gets warmer.

If it’s a brand new car and you are polishing it by hand before applying wax then use something like autoglym super resin polish or meguiars deep crystal polish

renton

Lifeshine is a pile of old craps!!

You can get better products off the internet for about a third of the cost!!

popstar

I’m surprised no one mentioned G-techniq. Very high tech and amazing results.

plus one

This is the daddy of polish.. Not the cheapest but quality stuff

http://www.zainoeurope.com/

Jujuuk68

I used to use MER when I had a car – and always got fantastic results. Indeed, it managed to turn an old Morris Minor I had into a half gleaming battleship grey you could see your face in (and for a non metalic, grey, thats an achievement), and half yellow dulled tinted grey, simply because I ran out of time – and for the next 3 months the car looked like it was 2 from the scrappie, welded together in the middle!

Used it on an old orange alfa to discover it really was red as well. Never seemed cheap, and took ages to apply and wipe off again, but I would buy a bottle again if I had a car.

nealglover

Today’s car, washed, clay bar, decontaminated, tar and glue remover, light machine polish, washed again, dried, and then two Stage TRIBOS paint protection applied and cured.

It took 9 Hours, but the results were stunning.

13 month old Mazda MX5 in Metallic Black.

jd-boy

9 hrs hard work and were I live covered in crap in 5 mins from all the mud on the country roads and farm work πŸ™„
    Looks bloody good though. πŸ˜‰

nealglover

That’s what the TRIBOS coating is for.

No need to Wax or Polish for 4 Years, just rinse, wash, dry and its done πŸ™‚

Neil F

Meguiars.
    I use Bilt Hamber clay bar with Megs quik Detailer as a lube, then Paint Cleaner and NXT Tech Wax. Smells nice too. πŸ˜€

allthegear

So, neilglover – this TRIBOS thing – how much would it be (very roughly) to get my new Skoda Fabia VRS done, instead of the dealer doing their thing???

Rachel

nealglover

Standard price for application to a new car is Β£420 (done at the dealership before the car is driven)

That’s Paint protection, Glass Protection and Alloy Wheel Protection

Discounts are available for nice people πŸ˜‰

Mr_Mojo

Thanks for the offer Slowmart but I’ve still got over half a tub left and I don’t get through much.

allthegear

mmm – that’s interesting, neilglover, if it so much better than a Dealer job…

I guess if a ‘nice person’ was to be visiting their parents in Yeadon shortly after picking up the car then that wouldn’t be too far away from you, would it?? πŸ˜‰

Rachel

Premier Icon Woody
    Subscriber

Neilglover

That is amazing. Took me a few seconds to work out that it was a car in the pic!

But 9 hours 😯

renton

@nealglover. How do you find the paint thickNess on the Mazda? I’ve got a Mazda 6 with metallic blue paint and the depth readings were very low and as such I couldn’t remove a lot of the deeper marks without fear of burning through the topcoat!! Used meguiars 205 in the end.

I’ve just bought a product called ceramishield which is a protective ceramic coating so probably a bit like the stuff you recommend above only it cost Β£25 and lasts around a year or so

nealglover

It was 9 hours mainly due to paintwork damage caused by a previous “Valeter” doing a poor job and causing swirl marks on every panel.
    So those needed to be Machine Polished to get a decent finish for the Paint Protection.

Machine polishing and prep took up most of the morning.

Stunning finish in the end though, I was more than happy πŸ™‚

nealglover

Rachel, would be better to do it before its driven, otherwise it will need a load of prep work before the coatings can be applied. And it needs 12 hours curing time which needs to be indoors because it needs to be totally dry while curing.

Where is the dealership ?

allthegear

King’s Lynn – a LONG way from York!! :-/

Rachel

nealglover

Renton, Mazda Paint is pretty thin generally, but swirl marks aren’t a problem, deeper marks can be difficult and need smart repair.

Not heard of the stuff you have bought, in my experience, anything that applied by hand rather than using an Orbital or DA machine won’t last more than a couple of months, but to be honest at that price, its worth a shot.

nealglover

Rachel, email me and I’m sure we can sort something out ?

renton

Have a look on detailing world mate there is a lot of info over there about it!!

Sold by concours car care mate.

Reading up on the tribos stuff makes it sound like permaguard or a varient of?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘What car polish?’ is closed to new replies.