Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • What car for wafting about in?
  • BoardinBob

I’ve always pined after a Chrysler 300C

hooli

The best wafter I’ve ever had is a 5 series beemer. 5K gets you plenty to choose from if you don’t mind a higher milage. The SE is very comfortable, the sportier ones look better but have a much harsher ride.

Mine got to 190k miles before I got rid and it needed very little doing to it.

Northwind

BoardinBob

I’ve always pined after a Chrysler 300C

I so nearly bought a hemi estate… I’d have regretted it in a bunch of different ways I’m sure, but still.

jim25

Ford Grenada cosworth.
    300bhp of smooth waft

ElShalimo

It’s not about the bhp it’s about arriving at your dedication unruffled, feeling content that you really are that wonderful.

Hence why I said Toyota Crown last night. Not the 90s Lexus rehash but the 70s or 80s models. Understated, elegant and good enough for the heads of Japanese corporations

p7eaven
    Free Member

Isn’t this a competition to see how few MPG OP can expect in return for chauffeuring a bicycle along motorways? 🧐

1988 Range Rover should get you up a motorway in relative comfort, and also close to the trailhead? About 13mpg combined. Fitting a snorkel and bike rack should help further reduce MPG.

#badlyshoppedboy

TedC

Ford Grenada cosworth.
    300bhp of smooth waft

In standard form ideal for moderately paced wafting, but I’d want to know a lot about how they got it to 300bhp from the standard 204bhp without ruining waftability, assuming you could find one in reasonable nick.

In tradition of recommending what you have (well had until recently), I’d rather have 3.0l Mondeo Ghia/Titanium X (not an ST220).

kilo

1979 Merecedes 280e, I bought one on a whim I’m coming back from a three day bender in northern France, great waft wagon with the benefit of guzzling fuel like a park tramp on sherry.
    My brother MiL had an early 90’s Cadillac De Ville in burgundy I borrowed one holiday, that took wafting to new levels!

singletrackmind

BillMC

I had a Skyline and a Camry in Oz, both made me waft.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m surprised there haven’t been more people suggesting a Range Rover – there are a lot around at any budget.
    Only for the brave though as the older ones will have corrosion issues and the newer ones will have some interesting electrical/reliability quirks but i’ve never driven a waftier car.

john_l
    Free Member

I worked for a fleet management company in the early ’90s and had string of V6 Mondeos, Cavaliers, Vectras and Omegas to waft about in. I was 23!

The V6 Omega Elite was my favourite, used to really wind up the other middle aged sales reps at Cherwell Valley.

singletrackmind

Porshe cayenne is in budget for an early model. Mercedes ML ticks some of those boxes, built by confederates in alabama iirc so some fall apart

I dont find 4×4 tjat relaxing tbh though. Steering is always a little vague and wandery. Plus they are susceptible to side winds
    How bout a Volvo S80? Best seats ever, all the toys, square and in budget

roger_mellie

The V6 Omega Elite was my favourite,

I had one. Lovely. Needed a fuel tanker following you mind.

johnstell

Peugeot 508 gt. Full waft and will even fit a bike in the back. Typically French, strikes often and at random, but rarely brings the country to a halt.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’m surprised there haven’t been more people suggesting a Range Rover – there are a lot around at any budget.
    Only for the brave though as the older ones will have corrosion issues and the newer ones will have some interesting electrical/reliability quirks but i’ve never driven a waftier car.

He wants to waft not look like a total ****.

pondo

In my last job, I bought an old V50 auto estate when they took company cars off us – bags of room, the inline 5 makes an interesting noise, and it is SO the comfiest space for long journeys. Previous car had adaptive cruise and I missed that, a bit, but it was really the only bit of tech it would have been nice to add, normal cruise is fine.

Fuel and tax sting a bit, mind…

trail_rat
    Free Member

There’s a 2009 Vectra vxr on my local Facebook ATM for 3.5 sandbags.

On the face it looks like a fun buy…but being a vxr there will be no waft. Shame

Does seem it has a turbo by name only when you look closer. 2.8 24v turbo and it manages a paltry 250 bhp.

As for a range rover at that price . You’d need a lobotomy

p7eaven
    Free Member

Just in case the satire was too obscure – I wasn’t being serious about a Range Rover.

I think that all conspicuous gas-guzzlers are bellendish by their very nature/appeal, so was using an obvious example.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Funeral car is very appealing 😅

This thread is saved for if / when I can go shopping….

mattbee

RRC is a brilliant wafty car, although it’s not actually that great as a bike carrier. Even back when I had mine and was carrying a 26” hardtail it was easier to put it on a rack (which did usually have a number plate on it, not sure why it hasn’t in this pic!) although low teens mpg was ruinous enough then when fuel was still sub £1 a litre…

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘What car for wafting about in?’ is closed to new replies.