Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What car for around 7k.
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Another car question I’m afraid…

I’m looking to get a new motor, something second hand, decent size and ideally a diesel.

Was looking at a 2.5 litre diesel 5 series with 80000 on the clock for around 7k. Decent value/car? What should I be looking out for?

thanks

sandwicheater

Blue one.

Tiger6791

Wrong!

Dark Blue one

Swelper
    Free Member

Black is where it’s at

aracer
    Free Member

Are you bothered about the badge, or would you happily settle for something younger than the Beemer for the same money (dare I mention Mondeo?)

Quite tempted to suggest 5 or 6k on the car and the rest in the bank to pay for any big bills when buying diesel at that pricepoint – it’s pretty much what I did, though only spent £4k on the car, when original theoretical budget was 8!

LHS
    Free Member

Isn’t the standard answer on here a Skoda Octavia*??

*Don’t get a Skoda, they’re crap and people will think you are poor.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I thought diesels at that milage were barely run in? That said I know nothing about cars

trail_rat
    Free Member

In 1999 that was true. In 2014 not so , common rail injection with high pressure pumps , dpfs nd dmfs all mean diesels are not the workhorses they once were.

matt_outandabout

What journey’s? What mileage a year? How many people? Need to carry bikes? etc etc

MrWoppit
    Free Member

7k? You could buy a bike for that…

brooess
    Free Member

6k on the car and 1k on a nice bike for short, local commutes?

tpbiker
    Free Member

About 4 k a year max, mainly shorter journeys, not much in town however id think.

Needs space for bike kit, and ideally would like something comfy and reliable.

Should I be looking at petrol then?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Audi A6 or Allroad with >100k on it if you’re not doing much mileage, FSH obvs.
    or
    XC70..

lunge

For that mileage I would avoid diesel, my experience of them is they are much happier with longer journey’s. I would look at a petrol, Japanese and slightly lower mileage.

andyl
    Free Member

4k a year? Pick up a lovely cheap 5 series petrol.

Rockape63
    Free Member

7yr old diesel…..check out dmf’s and dpf’s. 😥

tpbiker
    Free Member

dmf’s and dpf’s?

kcal

our mileage is around the 4k – 5k figure – admittedly bulk of the time is spent on short town journeys – bit of school, lessons, shops; the longer journeys are fewer and further between – though take up majority of the miles.

We decided petrol was better for that level of miles / usage pattern. 4yo Skoda (!) estate, as allow a mileage on a car as I’ve bought, though above your £7k budget. Heaps of room (and this coming from a load carrying 900S) for family of 4, camping kit, bikes (once I get a tow bar fitted). I’d say it’s a good motor to me, nothing too fancy, certainly not overboard on the gadgets and whizz-bang stuff that always feels like a big bill waiting to happen..

tonyplym
    Free Member
    nickjb
    Free Member

Should I be looking at petrol then?

I would for those requirements.

dooosuk
    Free Member

dmf’s and dpf’s?

All you need to know is that they’re expensive to fix and likely on an ageing diesel (especially doing short trips and low annual mileage).

Definitely buy a petrol for your requirements.

If you’re worried about mileage, don’t be. Even petrol engines are good for 200,000 + miles these days.

Just look for a well looked after car with documented service history and a folder full of receipts.

trail_rat
    Free Member

for 4k a year – i think id get a taxi 😀

loddrik
    Free Member

Decent mk5 Golf GTi. No need for a diesel with the amount if miles you’re doing.

crush83
    Free Member

Mazda 6 TS2 2.2 estate. job done (also more space inside than an a4)

matt_outandabout

For that mileage I would avoid diesel, my experience of them is they are much happier with longer journey’s. I would look at a petrol, Japanese and slightly lower mileage.

^ he is right.

Suggsey
    Free Member

For that mileage definitely forget diesel, the extra cost in initial purchase even for a second hand diesel and extra cost of diesel at the pumps make it not cost effective. For 7k there’s so much on the market that fits what you need, just go test drive some and choose the one that floats your boat and makes you smile!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What car for around 7k.’ is closed to new replies.