Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • What car for a new mother
  • codebauer
    Free Member

My Son is 2 and my wife wants to start using the car more with him. The problem is the thing is a old Honda Jazz, so would not come off well in any accident!

So what new car. Got to be safe and in-experienced driver safe.

My list so far is:

Honda CR-V
    Nissan Qashqai
    Hyundi ix32
    Kia Sportage
    VW Caddy/Touran (maybe)

There are so many to choose from. Guess our needs are vague.

Please help….

–pauL

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Do you need a 4×4? Or is it just a safety thing?

codebauer
    Free Member

Just a safety thing. Would go for a 2WD versions for MPG.

Scamper
    Free Member

I’d have thought something like a Focus will be as safe (and roomy) as some on that list?

My Wife has a 2wd Qashqai – bought partly as the extra ride hight makes putting the nipper in and out of his seat a little easier with a chronic back problem, without having to go full on 4×4.

meehaja
    Free Member

They all seem to have citroen C3’s round here (my wife included). Cheap, roomy, 5 doors and cheap. NCT set all have range rovers, or quashqai’s.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Mrs Cat transported our round in a Sportrack (fab vehicle if a bit agricultural) and a Terios, until last year, so 15 years in total. Now has a Panda 4×4. (job dictates 4×4) The advantage of the first two is height and visibility and they seem to be pretty tough whilst remaining small enough not to have the Cheshire Tractor tag. Also the raised height meant the kids were waist/chest high (depending if was me or the tiny wifee) when you need to tend to the little darlings. It’s easier on the back when loading them too.
    Would recommend the Terios, nippy little thing.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Aren’t Renault Meganes meant to be some of the safest cars on the road? you seem to have just gone for a list of soft roaders in the belief that they’re bigger = they’re safer?

Have a look at NCAP ratings.

ski
    Free Member

OK too many shandies at lunch time, I will say sorry now for the following…

See this is where the problem starts, people who have normal practical and lets face it, sensible cars such as the Honda Jaz, suddenly realizing that in a rear end with knuckle dragging owner of a oversized 4×4 killing machine, might just be worse off in a prang.

Lets look at how cars grow over the years, as an example a mk1 golf is probably the size of a polo now and a modern day golf have two options a standard or an oversized fatty version that could swallow half of Belgium and a bit of Holland!

Then you have the original bad boy a Mk1 BMW X5, but that is on par now with its baby brother the X3 now in size!

Lets not mention the original Mini and the new MINI with its pig ugly oversized flabby modern day version of the Countryman!

Everything car wise, is getting bigger…

I feel your pain codebauer, I feel your pain.

Old Mercs or Volvo’s are quite butch from what I have been told codebauer.

pdw
    Free Member

I do remember seeing some research suggesting that whilst you may be better off when you do have an accident in a larger car, smaller cars are less likely to be involved in an accident in the first place (due to better handling or other reasons) and overall you’re no better off.

Being high up is all very well, but this typically means worse visibility of short people standing near your car, and as such there’s a better chance that you’ll run over your own kid on your own driveway.

hora
    Free Member

I test drove a CRV and I discounted it as you just feel slightly removed from the drive/experience.

Touran felt vague for me.

For me, a safe car is one that you feel TOTALLY comfortable driving NO how big it looks.

If your partner is used to the Jazz, that for me would be the car.

I drive a Citroen C1 one with a 2yr old in the back. Am I an irresponsible nutter by your thinking?

The most fun car I owned was a MX5 tied with a Subaru Forester. One of the worse ones that I’ve driven is the Honda Civic (new shape). Terrible dead/electric steering.

trb
    Free Member

The problem is the thing is a old Honda Jazz, so would not come off well in any accident!

The honda jazz was only introduced in 2002, so not really old, and it’s NCAP rating is OK, so by no means unsafe. That said all of the cars you list do score higher on child safety, but lower on pedestrian safety.

I’d say the Honda Jazz is the perfect small ecomonical runabout for a mum with 1 child.

Anyway shouldn’t you be encouraging her to be using the car less and cycling more with him? Then you’ll suddenly be a bit more interested in the low pedestrian scores of all those stupid oversized softroader things.

Forgot the 😉

spooky_b329

They may be ‘built like tanks’ but they are no match for todays supermini’s…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBDyeWofcLY[/video]

There is a similar clip of a LR Discovery being crashed into a Renault Espace. The ladder frame of the Discovery just means the Espace rides up over the chassis and takes out most of the passenger compartment…not quite as indestructible as they appear.

hora
    Free Member

Newshape Honda Jazz?

Interested in selling the old one? How long have you had it?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I reckon he’s just getting things in place for the school run in a couple of years.
    IMHO its a bit daft playing the game in the first place. No car is inherantly dangerous otherwise it wont have an MOT. I also think that a lot of the manufacturers feed the paranoia that your current car is unsafe. Most modern cars have reinforced doors, crumple zones, front and side airbags (our 12 YO Mazda 323 has all these). Modern cars are at a point now where you’d have to be in a pretty hefty smash to not walk away from it.
    Yes the Jazz is a small car, but it doesnt mean it turns to tinfoil if you bounce it off a wall.

toaster93
    Free Member

Ford C-max? What’s your budget?

ski
    Free Member

spooky_b329 – Member

They may be ‘built like tanks’ but they are no match for todays supermini’s…

Wow that is impresive, without watching the vid I would have put my money on the Volvo…

Did they also smash a smart car into a brick wall at 70mph and the doors still opened, ant the passanger cell was still in one piece, ocupunts would have still been mushed, but the doors opened! 😯

ski
    Free Member

Found it 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJHpUO-S0i8[/video]

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Modern cars are at a point now where you’d have to be in a pretty hefty smash to not walk away from it.”

Sort of a fair point. Your less likely to die on impact in a car accident these days, but your more likely to die slowly in pain in hospital as all your internal organs fail from deceleration injuries.

Back to the OP – If your wife isn’t an experienced driver, why do you want to put her in a big car.

Oh and big cars are better at killing pedestrians than small normals cars.

Oh and your probably better making sure you have good quality tyres and a good car seat for the kid rather than making sure you have the biggest car possible.

spooky_b329

Re: That Smart clip, I saw a Smart parked up on the A27 a couple of weeks ago, it had some minor front end damage (quite high up so suspect it ran into the back of a lorry) but it did leave me wondering (having seen the clip before) how hard it had actually hit the vehicle in front. For a normal car I’d say 15mph from the damage, but knowing how strong it is…30mph? Hard enough to either disable the car or the driver, anyways…

codebauer
    Free Member

Okay, point taken.

We need a bigger boot for all the kiddie junk. But any other ideas for the research list.

Don’t think a Caddy is big a car. But, anyway I hate looking at (reading about) cars. Just wanted some way to narrow down the list.

–pauL

miketually
    Free Member

Cars we’ve had since the kids were born:

[list][*]Ford Fiesta[/*]
    [*]Renault Scenic[/*]
    [*]Toyota Corrolla[/*][/list]

We’re currently back with a 2002 Scenic. Decent NCAP, cheap, battered.

hora
    Free Member

We need a bigger boot for all the kiddie junk. But any other ideas for the research list.

All Fords steer and drive ok. A Ford Focus wouldn’t be a bad choice.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We bought one of these when Jnr FD came along.

which is great because it has a big boot and high rear seats for no bending down. However we still got one of these as boots are never big enough for kids stuff and dogs!

convert

Liking the look of the Skoda Yeti at the moment- well maybe not the look but the space and practicality for a focus sized footprint.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ford C-max?

+1

Everyone I’ve given lifts to remarks how easy it is getting in the back (especialy old people, I’ve not tired it on babies) as it’s the back seats are quite high up and can be slid back making the effective doorway huge, and how much space there is in the front compared to normal saloons/estates, and assuming that the crumple zones do their job initialy and keep the interior intact, it’s that extra space that saves you in a bigger crash as the dash/bulkhead are miles away from you, ditto the sides, plenty of room between shoulder/elbows and the doors.

It does share the 4×4 downside of having a child sized blindspot under the rear window though, although we’re talking small child rather than a car which you could hide behind a lot of 4×4’s.

On the plus side (as Mr Clarkson proved with the M5 estate) people don’t asusme your a polar bear killing selfish prick when driving an estate rather than a similarly sized (or actualy smaller on boot space as bear in mind you have to give up a big chunk of room for the diff in 4×4’s) 4×4. On the downside everyone assumes I must have sprogs on the way and be full of repreessed anger as I drive an ‘MPV’.

trb
    Free Member

We ended up with a Ford Mondeo estate, the main criteria being a huge boot for the little trbs stuff and decent MPG from the 2l TDi, so if you don’t want to go that big a Focus would be a reasonable assumption.

nb, Some friends have a Jazz and a CR-V (work for Honda). They reckon the Jazz is better for hauling “stuff” as it has a more useable boot. Bigger on the outside doesn’t always mean better on the inside….

theflatboy
    Free Member

yetis are not going to be easy to get hold of, are they? can’t be many 2nd hand around i wouldn’t have thought and probably fairly backlogged for new ones even?

theflatboy
    Free Member

we had a focus estate and considered a grand c-max afterwards, but the difference in capacity was actually surprisingly negligible.

ransos
    Free Member

+1 for the c-max. The high rear seats make getting our little one in quite easy, and the boot is just about big enough for a family holiday. It feels quite a lot bigger on the inside than a standard focus.

Regarding the reversing blind spot – it’s pretty bad, so try and find one with parking sensors.

convert

autotrader has 230 odd 2nd hand ones available around the uk which isn’t huge in comparison to a focus etc but he only wants to buy one! Some are nearly new/daft money though.

theflatboy
    Free Member

true enough. i think a while back they were reporting year+ lead times for them, i’m probably a bit out of date now though!

Drac

Yeah the old Volvos are built like Tanks is myth is still gong strong, about 20 years ago then and Saabs were they safest. Now pretty much most cars less than 10 years old are very well built for accident damage. It use to be a case of an odd few walking out of a car crash unsaved now you’re unlucky if you have serious injury. I could be out of a job if it continues.

xiphon
    Free Member

Volvo.

/thread

sweaman2
    Free Member

Focus C-Max as well. + You can take the seats out (if your feeling stong) and have a van.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

don’t renaults always do well in crash tests?
    +1 for not buying a chelsea tractor, inexperienced driver, in a 3 ton tank, only a matter of time…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Focus C-Max as well. + You can take the seats out (if your feeling stong) and have a van.

I think of mine the other way arround, the seat’s only go in if I need a car!

The other downside (possibly unique to the C-max? or is it normal in MPV’s?) is the seats don’t fold flat into the floorpan like most other cars, so you lose ~20cm of length compared to say a focus estate, unless you remove them completely, in which case you gain 20cm, but then I’d worry about something heavy sliding forweard in a crash.

hora
    Free Member

Old Cmax is just a taller Focus IMO.

Subaru Forester is awesome.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Why is it as soon as couples start a family they feel the need to get a people carrier or bigger car ffs, when we had our first child I had a poxy polo and Mrs FH a Nova. Get a bloody grip.

ransos
    Free Member

Why is it as soon as couples start a family they feel the need to get a people carrier or bigger car ffs, when we had our first child I had a poxy polo and Mrs FH a Nova. Get a bloody grip.

We manage just fine with one car between us. Who needs to get a grip?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Nipper one mandated the change from a 3-door Yaris to a 5 -door 206SW. Getting the kid/seat in and out is important. Somewhere to bung the pram/buggy is important.

I have a Berlingo and don’t need to fold the pram/buggy to bung it in the boot. Very convenient.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘What car for a new mother’ is closed to new replies.