Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • What can you actually save money on at Costco?
  • Premier Icon maccruiskeen

pickle in the fridge will outlive a human

Humans are better stored at room temperature though

Premier Icon hammerite
    Free Member

The chocolate chip shortbread mmmmmmm

There are bargains to be had, but we usually ruin any savings by buying stuff we don’t really need.

I can’t help but have a hot dog every time I go in there, even though it usually ends up repeating on me for the rest of the day.

Premier Icon bruneep

beamers wrote:

Coffee Beans are he cheapest I’ve seen anywhere and really rather good.

I thought they were the worst beans I’ve ever bought

Premier Icon jkomo
    Free Member

Massive bottles of Tobasco, £4.

Premier Icon wallop

Blue roll for the bike room!

Premier Icon mitsumonkey
    Free Member

We got a free 2 month trial trade card a few weeks ago, went for a look round and to pick up the free gifts we got offered.
    It was OK, nothing really in there savings wise to make me visit regularly or pay a subscription to.
    What with Aldi/Lidl and online shopping places like Costco and Makro seem a bit ‘old hat’ and not really that cheap.

Premier Icon Rio

I was there yesterday. Apart from the usuals (toilet rolls, bin bags etc) you can make good savings at the moment on a giant set of christmas nativity figures or some spectacularly bad life-size illuminated polar bears and reindeer for the lawn. Too late for a giant teddy bear though – the last one was riding round in someone’s trolley.

I thought they were the worst beans I’ve ever bought

They have several sorts of beans, some of which I have found quite good but others less so. Trouble is to find which ones you like you end up with a lot of the beans you don’t like which negates any savings in the short term. I really tried to like the Rwandan beans (save the gorillas and all that) but they’re not really very nice.

Premier Icon onandon
    Free Member

The espresso beans are really good. I’ve used these as my regular coffee for the past year.

Premier Icon solamanda
    Free Member

I’m pretty disciplined with what I buy as it’s easy to come home with something that’s only a few percent cheaper but in crazy bulk quantity.

Bog roll – Fairly well discounted
    Tissues – High discount
    Coconut Water
    Coffee beans – Close to the best you can buy and the saving is over 60%
    Pasta – Massive discount at top quality
    Fish – Ok discount but the quality is good if you don’t have anywhere better
    Contact lens fluid, 40% off
    Herbs
    Frozen ingredients – eg blueberry’s at 50% off.
    Cooking oil
    Women’s Cosmetics

Plus if you are having a party, you can really make use of the bulk buy fresh food which is really cheap.

Premier Icon zbonty

I was tempted to go and have a look. My suspicions confirmed though. Little in the way of useful savings unless you want pallets of big roll in your house.

I think you get suckered into buying mega packs of stuff you don’t need that probably gets wasted or is really bad for you. I always saw for families doing a shop and the kids having massive 3kg tubs of Haribos that they probably munch through in a weekend.

Premier Icon andyl
    Free Member

Take your smart phone and google prices. Especially TVs and stuff.

They did have an ex demo 70″ sharp LCD in Bristol the other day for £850 + vat 😯 (and you get the 5yr warranty on it)

Premier Icon sharkbait
    Free Member

Our default list:
    Free coffee and muffins before anything else
    Apples
    waffles
    chocolate pancakes
    mince
    chicken portions (thighs and breasts)
    cheese
    Kirkland bottled water (36 500ml bottles for £3.50)
    butter
    chicken kievs
    maybe a cooked chicken for £3.50 or something
    frozen salmon portions
    lasagne
    steak pie
    squash
    fabric detergent
    look roll
    kitchen roll
    maybe wine if on offer
    trays of soup
    trays of beans
    mayo
    cereal

on top of that there may some other bits and pieces. I’ve found their customer service absolutely second to none (e.g. giving me all my money back for a tv that died two years out of warranty, and a free smoked salmon when I accidentally left one in the trolley).
    It’s not just about saving money.

Premier Icon Mikeypies
    Free Member

Well for us the cheapo stuff is

Prescription glasses I saved about £200 on the lenses alone and the appointment times are longer than most.
    Meat and the quality is excellent
    Beers and cider
    TVs etc as there is an excellent warranty

some stuff can be had elsewhere cheaper

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth

We had a membership for a while. Also found it limited for stuff I actually wanted to buy.

My view is that any shop that charges me to enter needs to have a guarantee that the goods I buy will cheaper than I can get elsewhere.

Premier Icon zbonty

I was tempted to go and have a look. My suspicions confirmed though. Little in the way of useful savings unless you want pallets of bog roll in your house.

I think you get suckered into buying mega packs of stuff you don’t need that probably gets wasted or is really bad for you. I always saw for families doing a shop and the kids having massive 3kg tubs of Haribos that they probably munch through in a weekend.

Premier Icon zilog6128

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘What can you actually save money on at Costco?’ is closed to new replies.