Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What can I eat?
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Ideas needed for healthy, filling snacks that can be taken to work as I’m running out of ideas, am bored of chopped raw veg and and getting more and more unhealthy with my snacking. Today I’ve had (aside from porridge for breakfast and a ham sandwich for lunch) an apple, a banana, some (non salted) nuts, a couple of biscuits and recently succumbed to a crumpet :lol:. I’m still hungry!

Ideally I’d like to avoid eating biscuits, i had been disciplined and cut down to one biscuit a day with a cuppa after work but consumption is steadily rising as I just can’t seem to think of healthy snacks.

yunki
    Free Member

Have you tried not snacking?

DezB
    Free Member

Graze? worked for me. (Er, yeah – could get you a code to try it for free)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    seosamh77
    Free Member

mmmmmmmmm

longmover
    Free Member

I’ve had a whole pack of penguins and a wagon wheel today.

onandon
    Free Member

Watermelon. A big slab of that will fill you up.

Have a look on fullness factor. A great site for telling you what will fill you up most for least calories.

sandwicheater

Heroin? Reaches spots a bag of crisps can’t and very low in calories.

Is a bit moreish though.

Drac

Cake, tastes great and doesn’t come in a pouncy box through the post.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Find some healthy high protein food, it will stay in your stomach longer, such as a chicken sandwich. Wash it down with plenty of water. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I wish my Graze had been pouncy. Might’ve paid a bit more for it

Drac

A box within a box.

maccruiskeen

I’ve found melon to be a good feel-full-for longer snack. I’m not sure why that would be the case given that its pretty much just seems to be crunchy water. Those supermarket pots of melon and grapes have become my travel / working away from home pick-me-up.

fifeandy
    Free Member

These will fill you up

I’m in kinda the same boat, and they are the only thing so far that can keep me off the buscuits

mikey74
    Free Member

Do you take your own lunch? I do and usually when it comes to mid/late-morning (11:30ish) and I’m feeling peckish, I’ll eat some of it, leaving the rest for a few hours.

Failing that, take some peanut butter on wholewheat sarnies, or keep a packet of nuts in your drawer. Preferably things with protein in.

Oh, and make sure you drink regularly: It’s quite common for people to mistake thirst for hunger.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I had an issue with snacking. Sorted it out by just taking a tin of this to work, and having hits throughout the day. Really fills you up.

chewkw
    Free Member

You need to eat food with MSG to curb your food craving … 😆

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Some of the stuff I snack on include: Nuts. Dried fruit. Decent cereal bars. Banana’s. Small pot of fat free yogurt or Creme Freche with a spoonful of decent Museli/Granola/your own concoction of grains, nuts, fruits etc. Rice cakes with chocolate. Rice Cakes with Peanut Butter. Rice Cakes with Coconut. Naked Bars (pressed Fruit). Smoothie with oats. Humous with Carrot sticks or any other veg sticks. A pot of zero fat set yogurt with Honey or Maple Syrup stirred in. Scotch Pancakes.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Drink (more) water. Less desire to snack then.

And don’t do as I do and eat massive meals in the evening. Results in hunger next day. Should really eat a more substantial lunch and a light meal in the evening, but Brits are too obsessed with work to do that. In Europe they have it right.

ferrals
    Free Member

And don’t do as I do and eat massive meals in the evening

Ah, this may be part of the problem, biggest meal by far is evening meal and recently been slipping with the light to not eating till gone nine. Need to get back to eating at 7

Thanks to the other suggestions too, both helpful and amusing. Unfortunately smack is off the menu though, I’m not fond of needles and smoking is banned at work.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

The stuffing in nappies is good, or bathroom sealant, or sausage rolls.

jambalaya
    Free Member

What @deadkenny says – drink more water

I think you are on the right lines, fruit, nuts, raw veg its the variety you need to keep it interesting. You might consider a more filling lunch than a ham sandwich – I find bread at lunch now makes me really sleepy.

IME snacking is a habit and/or stress related, I’ve fallen into bad ones with crisps and kit kats as a “reward” but they are not necessary.

Edit: eggs for breakfast are more filling, perhaos a couple of times a week. Poached is easy and healthy. Even fried in a tiny amount of oil

Ah, this may be part of the problem, biggest meal by far is evening meal and recently been slipping with the light to not eating till gone nine. Need to get back to eating at 7

I’m guessing you are trying to manage your weight judging by your OP?

Having a big late meal is definitely the worst thing you can do

Eat like a King in the morning
    Prince at lunchtime
    Pauper in the evening

fifeandy
    Free Member

Is it even possible to eat at 7 if training/racing in the evening?

Easy to say that breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day, but not easy to find time to make/consume 700+kcal before heading off to work. Especially not with a good balance of carbs/protein.

ferrals
    Free Member

I’m guessing you are trying to manage your weight judging by your OP?

Not really, should have made that explicit in op I guess. Weight wise I’m about as light as I can be (Bmi 18, body fat around 12%), it’s more a case that through winter I was managing to avoid eating refined/processed/sugary/fatty foods but I seem to have fallen of the wagon. Personally, even if I’m not putting on weight I’d rather eat healthily, so it’s not that I have an issue with snacking, more that I want more ideas of healthy things to snack on rather than defaulting to a biscuit.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You have to have a good meal in the evening. It is during the night that your body recovers and repairs damaged tissue so you need to make sure your body has the resources to support that process.

I have a large but early evening meal so there is a good 16 hours or so before I wake up for breakfast. I’m not really hungry at breakfast time so have a small breakfast (maybe 2 weetabix) then a mid morning snack of nuts or something (as per my post above). I’m a fan of the grazing during the day and having a big meal in the evening. So small breakfast, grazing on healthy snacks through the day, small lunch and a more substantial evening dinner. Doing this I find i’m never full but rarely hungry. If you’re eating a small handful of nuts (not KP dry roasted Peanuts!) with fruit eaten nut by nut rather than chucking a handful at once down your throat satisfies hunger for a good couple of hours.

The old adage of Breakfast is the most important meal of the day is garbage. Eat when you’re hungry.

Since I started on this regime I am certainly feeling alot better and am definitely getting a more healthy diet. I have lost a bit of weight but most importantly feel better. Before my diet was unstructured, erratic and I was just eating all the wrong stuff at the wrong time and snacking on crap in between meals.

The water thing is true only if you’re not drinking enough water. If you’re genuinely hungry then having a glass of water won’t help or will literally only give you a few minutes of satisfaction before the hunger returns.

I guess there is no one set of rules that works for everyone so you need to find a routine that works for you. However I have found that i’ve had to wean myself off overly salty and sweet snacks (so crisps and chocolate basically) before I really enjoyed the flavour of nuts, fruit and other more natural and healthy stuff. I also had to wean myself off feeling full – eating enough to stave off the feeling of hunger but not eating until i’m full when I do feel hungry – that just leads to over-eating as you’re constantly increasing the capacity and size of your stomach and digestive system so need to eat more and more food before feeling full.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Protein bars, low carb. Myprotein do good ones but there’s stacks of choice.

bearnecessities

sirromj

Walnut sour dough bread with ghost chilli infused extra virgin olive oil.

natwestling39
    Free Member

I really enjoy avocado on toast with salt & pepper, and a sunny side up egg. perfect combo of macros. Or chicken wraps… grilled breast meat, avocado, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, wrapped in flour tortilla. Fruit salad bowls are easy to buy. Or greek yogurt, quark, or cottage cheese some honey, and fruit. Loads of protein in there to keep you a little fuller. You have to drink a lot of water, as mentioned above. Sometimes you think you’re hungry but your body is really just dehydrated. Drink plenty of fluids, you can add chia seeds and it will keep you full longer too

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What can I eat?’ is closed to new replies.