Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What? Camera phone
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Birthday pres planning. Already got a Lumix FZ28 but it's a bit big for those quick blasts out with a little pack. I'm also after something I can just take reasonable shots with while I'm out and about – you know those "oh wish I could have taken a pic of that" moment.

Needs to be off contract too, and able to work in Oz. Decent battery life. No need to have internet but would like to be able to upload/send pics to Facebook or Flickr. Would also like a decent flash, not and LED one.

In fact… maybe I'll be better off with a 100 quid point and shoot? Ideas and suggestions on the back of a postage stamp.

tails
    Free Member

Essentially a £100 point and shot will be the best option as the lense sensor etc will be better than anything squezzed into a phone, but i understand why you'd just want to carry a phone, i like the look of the sony ericsson naite and satio.

mogrim

The camera on my Nokia 5800 is fine with good light, but barely acceptable when using the flash – for photos of your drunk mates it's fine, but forget about photos to keep of your little girl at her end-of-term festive bash.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

It's more for the "wow look at that sky / sunset / vista" while I'm out and about so thought the cameraphone option was a bit more quick and easy. Was looking at the Sony Ericsson c902. My current phone's most advanced option is a LED torch – it has no camera. It barely rings people or sends texts.

Maybe I'm more swayed to a 100 quid P&S and some kind of strap-mounted camera holder to fix to my Camelbak. Spose that makes the most sense.

I'm pretty chuffed with my FZ28 so maybe something like the TZ3 or Canon Ixus equivalent? No real need to shoot HD vids, just a quick start up and an effective auto mode I guess. As little options as possible – the essence of point and shoot really!

So what 100-150 camera then?

ctznsmith
    Free Member

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/reviews/phones/

might be of use…the reviews always include sample shots to help you weigh up the performance.

Also is it Panasonic Lumix cameras that have a really fast 'start up' time (from turning it on to being able to shoot), might be worth considering that…

cullen-bay
    Free Member

C902 camera is pretty good.

CountZero

Forget phone cameras, unless you're carrying a phone and it happens to have a reasonable camera on it, which means nothing above 5Mp. Digital noise is an issue, and really above 3.2Mp it starts to get intrusive. One of the tiny compacts with around 10Mp and a nice wide angle lens will give best results. Even full-frame DSLR's suffer digital noise when too many pixels sites are crammed in, which is why Nikon have used a 12Mp sensor on the new D3s to give better low-light capability; how about an ISO of 102400!

nedrapier

Have a look here:

Phones + photos: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cameraphone-photos-serendipity-content

Plenty to compare on there. And you can call me a sicko, but I still want to know what's in coffeeking's tray!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Flickr has a web page where you can search for the camera and or phone that took the photos. It's quite a good way to compare the quality of pics from various camera phones.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What? Camera phone’ is closed to new replies.