Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • what cable dropper post? or should i get a 2nd hand reverb?
  • robw1
    Free Member

Buying a bike on cycle 2 work and its doesn’t come with a dropper. So, after a relatively inexpensive dropper. I have a reverb on my other bike. Should I buy a cheaper cable dropper (recommendations please!!) or a second hand reverb?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

brand x cable droper. I wouldn’t but a 2nd had reverb no, not with all the cheap cable ones available that need very little servicing

kelron
    Free Member

Brand X

fathomer

Brand X is every bit as good as a Reverb for lots less money.

However if you have a tight space to fit a longer drop into the OneUp is worth a look. I couldn’t fit a 170mm Brand X in my frame but can get a 180mm OneUp in 🙂

philjunior
    Free Member

Brand X, but whether it’s better than a 2nd hand Reverb kind of depends whether you get a sagging Reverb and whether your cable stays dry.

Put a brand X on the OH’s bike, it’s really good but the cable got full of water and was practically unusable after a couple of weeks. New cable and it’s good as new, but I hope the replacement cable (inserted with plenty of cable grease on) is more durable than the last one.

I’ve been lucky with the sag on 2 Reverbs, she hasn’t and is currently arguing over a warranty replacement for a <1yo Reverb she’d sent back twice for sagging. I guess this means there’s little point in going for a new Reverb.

Akers

Brand X is good, Just spend a bit more cash and get a decent remote, such as a Wolftooth, that attaches to your brake lever clamp. I found the Brand X one to be rather flimsy.

martinkiely
    Free Member

Brand X – I’ve got 2 (newish) ones, and haven’t had any issues with the remote. The newer ones have a paddle style remote, which is better than the one on the originals. There are probably better remotes out there, but until these stop working, I’ll stick with them! Both works as well as my Reverbs, which I never really had any issues with, just changed to get larger drops.

qwerty
    Free Member

Brand X

prawny

Brand X or Oneup. I’ve had both, no problems with either, oneup lever is nicer, but is more expensive.

I’d probably go for the brand x unless you’ve got short legs or have sized up. I’d be stuck with a 100mm brand x on my Marin but I’ve spaced a one up down to about 155mm

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Just spend a bit more cash and get a decent remote, such as a Wolftooth…

Or the far cheaper Ztto dropper lever.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F133007098951

jaylittle
    Free Member

I think you already have your answer but been.running 2 brand x posts for over 2 years now with no issues.

dirkpitt74

Brand-X and a £20 Bontrager lever.

antares
    Free Member

*cough* buy my reverb *cough*

docrobster
    Free Member

Should we sticky this thread for the next time the question is asked?
    (Owner of a reverb and a brand x. Will get brand x every time in future. )

philjunior
    Free Member

I’d be stuck with a 100mm brand x on my Marin but I’ve spaced a one up down to about 155mm

I was informed a couple of weeks ago on this very forum that the one up spacer works in the Brand X. I can confirm this is the case from my experience.

If I was getting a new seatpost, I might very well consider a brand X as once you get to pulling the whole cartridge apart you’re spending ages or paying someone else new seatpost money to do the job. Also being able to space it to exactly the right drop for your frame is a bonus. And the new lever really is good unless you’re not running 1x.

edit – I’d probably put a shimano gear cable inner and outer on it too to avoid my damp problem above!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘what cable dropper post? or should i get a 2nd hand reverb?’ is closed to new replies.