Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What budget Android phone?
  • damascus
    Free Member

Hi, I currently have an huawei p9 lite which is 3 years old. It’s been a good phone but it’s started to struggle and the battery doesn’t last now. 

I Was planning on replacing with a p20 lite or p30 lite but the licence ban has put me off. I know its been extended to August next year but……

So the alternatives I’ve seen so far are:

Motorola G7 power

Samsung A40

Samsung A50

Anything else I should consider?

My list of priorities are 64gb, expandable sd card. At least 4gb ram, a decent processor, a good 3000 mah or more battery and android.

Budget is upto £300 but I tend to break phones so I’d prefer to spend less.

I’m looking at sim free buying the phone outright as I have just taken a sky sim deal out.

Links to good deals appreciated.

Thanks

nbt

£300 != budget

cp

how important is the expandable SD storage? 64Gb is loads IMO for most people & SD storage is usually much slower & laggy than on-phone memory.

Because if you can live without it, these are bloody brilliant for just over £130.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xiaomi-Mi-A2-5-99-4GB-64GB-Dual-Sim-Smartphone-Black-/401756351184?hash=item5d8a8b6ad0

blokeuptheroad

Just ditched a 5 year old HTC which finally gave up the ghost. I have bought a Moto G7 power. 64gb, 4gb RAM. A whopping 5000mah battery which seems to go for 3 days on moderate use. It takes a micro SD, but not sure what capacity it goes up to. It cost me £159 on Amazon. It’s a lot of phone for the money, I’m well chuffed with it.

zippykona

I have the xiaomi. Monster battery and it just works.

Wish it had the voice activated camera of a Samsung and that the notification dots were a different colour to the app icon.

edhornby

I have a nokia, plain install of Android, can put an expander card in, not expensive

retro83
    Free Member

zippykona

Subscriber

I have the xiaomi. Monster battery and it just works.

Yes good phone, shame the camera (or more accurately the camera software) is properly crap.

Nico
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a G7 power. It seems to be a bit quicker to respond and a lot quicker to boot than the G4 Plus. The camera isn’t quite as good though. Colours are a bit off.

cp

Yes good phone, shame the camera (or more accurately the camera software) is properly crap.

on the MI A2? I’m pretty impressed with it

surfer
    Free Member

I have always had near top of the range phones through work then eventually become my personal phone when contracts upgraded, budget ones always seemed poor. That seems to have changed and my ageing S7 needs replacing and I am looking at phones around £150 as equivalent.
    I think we have almost hit peak development in phones so now companies can turn them out very cheaply. I am sure we will see more new developments but they seem marginal for everyday users.

Flaperon

Look at the Xiaomi Mi 9 SE. Seems to fit the bill for you perfectly, and you can get it for about £250, or £280 for the 128GB variant.

retro83
    Free Member

cp

on the MI A2? I’m pretty impressed with it

Yes, Mi A2 fully updated.

For example I took my little girl and her friend on holiday via the channel tunnel and tried to get a pic of them sitting in the back of the car together. The dull light and the inability of two 4 year olds to sit still for more than 5 nanoseconds meant it was simply impossible to get a shot which wasn’t covered in blurs. Then I picked up my wife’s Moto G6 and it takes the shot first time with no effort.

alanf
    Free Member

Nokia of some type or Motorolla.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Also got a Xiaomi and very happy with it. Was concerned about the OS and global rom but it’s all fine. Mine is the mi max 3 @£250. battery lasts days, but screen is big, sorry don’t know any specs. Only thing I’ve missed is NFC for contactless payments

damascus
    Free Member

Has anyone ordered from Tobydeals or similar. They seem to be £100 cheaper than everywhere else but based in Hong Kong etc.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Bought 2 G7 power phones today from John Lewis £159 with 2 year warranty!

northernshaggy
    Free Member

I have a pocophone F1 6gb with 64gb with SD card slot up to 256gb.Android. Snapdragon 845. 4000 mah battery. On sale at mi.com/UK for £229.

ElShalimo

Mi A2 Lite is a great phone for ~£180

el_boufador

G7 power for me. 3 day battery is ace

ads678

Samsung are doing good cashback offers (£50 on the A50 I think) as well as up to £150 trade in. Normal android phones get £100 trade in value.

So you could get £150 off the A50 straight away.

birky
    Free Member

Bought a Moto G7 Power last week, great battery life but no NFC if that matters to you.

boombang
    Free Member

I’ve got a Moto G6, it’s generally been good and worked but with some shitty quirks that make it irritating to live with – do these carry through to the G7?

Screen can flicker when trying to auto-adjust, have to tweak brightness manually.
    Randomly the screen will rotate even when turned off.
    Minimum volume is way too loud and the increments to adjust volume at low end are too big.

cp

That Poco f1 is a great deal

dumbbot
    Free Member

As a happy owner of a Moto G4 for many years I eagerly awaited the g7 power. Unfortunately the quality of the voice calls were simply unacceptable and I was forced to return it to Amazon, I’m still looking as to what to try next. Very disappointed.

Kryton57

If you can wait a few weeks they’ll be quite a few discounts for Prime Day on Amazon.

TimP
    Free Member

I just got the G7 Power John Lewis deal, and in trying to buy a couple of screen protectors, managed to buy 4

So anyone need 2 let me know and I will post on!

RustyMac

You can likely get a google pixel 2 refurbished for less than £250 with some warranty.

fathomer

I got an unlocked Pixel 2 with a 2 year warranty from CEX for £290 which looks brand new. It’s a brilliant phone and the camera’s awesome.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Early days with my Mi A2, but I thought the photos from Tuesday were alright, from by Butser Hill cafe…

wooobob

Very happy with the G7 Power. It’s a bit big, but they all seem to be nowadays. It works well though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

This page says the Samsung deal ended 14 March.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/mobile-trade-in/

damascus
    Free Member

Hi, thank you for all your replies.

I was going to buy a Samsung a50 from abroad for £213, a 6gb ram version until @ads678 posted.

I ordered a Samsung a50 via the Samsung website (4gb ram version) I got £100 trade in for my Huawei p9 lite, it only cost me £150 3 years ago. Carphone warehouse offered me £5 trade in 😂

I ordered it yesterday so it qualifies for the £50 cash back too. (this deal has now ended)

Quidco had 3% cashback too. Original price was £309.

Thanks, this is why stw forums are so great.

damascus
    Free Member

@cynic-al it does say that but the discount still worked for me. Different phones get better discounts. My discount was for standard android phone in working order, £100. You just need the imei number. Just dial  *#06# on your phone and copy the number.

When they post your phone they send a return envelope.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well that’s annoying, the Samsung trade in is still there but not the £50 off.

Does anyone know how much this is worth £200 over a Motorola G7 POwer?

I’m looking on benchmark sites but can’t see either…

EDIT found one – G7 POwer is similar spec to my Huawei P8 Lite (2017) so the Samsung is bargaineous! Cheers

singlespeedstu

A question for anyone with a G7 power.
    How do you change the bluetooth ID name on it?

dom777
    Free Member

I got the A40 from esdorado.com couple weeks for delivery but only £170.

Very nice to hold in the hand being that its small. Screen is great (OLED), the Samsung software is nice as is the overall design.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Here’s a few more deals I found trawling hotukdeals.com

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIM-Free-Motorola-G7-Play-5-7-Inch-32GB-13MP-4G-Mobile-Phone-Indigo/352659951807

https://shop.envirofone.com/buy/oneplus/5

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail/?id=ssong834164gbbeea

There are quite a few other on teh argos ebay account too.

I have gone for the Sony as its performance is the best

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What budget Android phone?’ is closed to new replies.