Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • What British mountain bike brand do you like?
  • burko73

I was a long term orange fan from my 93 clockwork days (still going strong as a fat tyred singlespeed pub bike with brown big apples) I liked what they were doing with design and production. I also still have a 2002 sub 5 which was a nice bike, bit of an all rounder.

I also have a 2011 genesis latitude 853 in 26″ which is a very understated lovely bike. Comfy, light-ish, really nice to ride. It’s a shame theyre bot doing an 853 mtb thesedays, it seems the accountants took over and everything is cro-moly. A good niche brand who have really looked at what they are doing and offered some interesting bikes.

Also just bought a cotic escapade which is nice. For me the Latitude was a head decision over a heart decision, a soul at the time. The escapade was a heart decision over the croix this time.

A couple of nice nichey british designed thinking mans bike brands.

If I won the lottery it might be I’d be calling shand though…

teadrinker
    Free Member

For me, bike wise Orange and Charge. I have a Cooker and a clockwork (both 29ers) and both excellent bikes. Singular, Cotic and Stooge all have wonderful looking bikes but I haven’t ridden any so couldn’t comment. I would like to see Pipedream a lot more out there too.

Hope and USE have been brilliant for me, some of the Madison clothing has been good so think they deserve a mention. I would love to see Middleburn have a bigger presence again. Howies are a great company but are they a MTB brand?

gaidong
    Free Member

@cokie

“Use to like Bird, but put off following a chat with Dave at the trailhead.”

What’s that about then?

scottfitz
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Just to check what makes things British??? If you include superstar then you could add anyone with a warehouse in the UK.

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/news/uk-made-sneak-peak/

AlexSimon

Are Paramo British? I had no idea – I’d assumed they were northern continental European – somewhere touching the Baltic that also has damp conditions to contend with.

chakaping
    Free Member

I can totally understand the grudge people have against Superstar, but that was many years ago and people do change – you just have to look at this forum to see that some people aren’t quite the insufferable pricks they used to be.

Anyway, back on topic – I was delighted with the Superstar UK-made Nano X pedals for £30…

Their basic wheels are really bloody good now too.

We don’t all have the budget for Hope so I’m glad they’re doing what they do.

chakaping
    Free Member

And the older I get and the more I ride, the more I come to appreciate Orange bikes.

Just wish the frames were one third cheaper.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not a grudge but as I see they have at most 4 UK made products, wheels, hubs and all the other hardware is just imported and probably not that much of the UK made stuff out yet.

Northwind

Oh OK then… Halfords. I bought a Carrera Krakatoa in about 1990 and a Carrera Kraken in I think 2010 to get back into riding, both brilliant bikes at the £300 point, still got the Krakatoa and the Kraken’s frame. My Boardman hybrid’s excellent, my Voodoo Limba was stupid value… And my brother’s Saracen Raw 2 was comically bad, they cover all the bases!

Dibbs
    Free Member

Whyte for stuff that works for me and Royce for top quality.

40mpg

Can I throw in Lumicycle?

I’ve bought from them twice – so thats covered me for more than 10 years of night riding every week. Once I had a problem when some 4-year-old batteries started playing up. They replaced one cell and fixed them free of charge.

They are the single longest-lasting trouble free bit of kit I have ever owned.

mick_r

Ironworks Frames* 🙂

(If microbrand frames for friends and family count, stuck together in the shed).

Mostly build them with Hope wheels and seat collar (having recently had a couple of On-One collars snap), plus occasionally Middleburn cranks.

Lusso shorts are good.

bikebouy
    Free Member

R
    A
    P
    H
    A

I can legitimately include them, cos I wear the stuff CX racing and as we know that’s almost like mountain biking innit 😆

AlexSimon

Lusso shorts are good.

British? oh my god they are! It’s as if these companies think that being British will lose them sales, for the amount they advertise it!

leftyboy
    Free Member

As I looked at this I realised that predictably I’m a typical STWer:

Hope – been buying their stuff for > 15 years.
    USE/Exposure – have 2 sets of lights and love them
    Whyte – Have a T-130 Works which I love riding
    Endura – sizing issue hasn’t really bothered me and the stuff they make is very durable
    Middleburn – used to really rate their cranks but they seem to ahve all but disapeared

relliott6879
    Free Member

failedengineerMember

It really annoys me to see a house with an English and/or British flag ‘proudly’ flying and a drive full of German cars.

I have the St George’s cross on the number plates of my Ford*, but my wife has an Audi. Sorry about that! 😳

*Actually manufactured in Flat Rock, Michigan.

cakefacesmallblock

Endura – Decent, hard wearing, Humvee shorts and a jersey which is lasting well.

Hope – Generally happy, have used headsets, bottom brackets ( not convinced by their plastic spacers though) and hubs, which have all worked well. Wheel skewers always felt a bit awkward compared with Shimano and I have an odd noise, which I noticed last weekend from a 400 mile old from hub, on my Hopetech Enduro wheel set.

Superstar – Very impressed with their Nano pedals. Which I put on my girlfriends bike two years ago, still running fine in spite of horrid wet muddy local trails in winter.

Gusset – Now, pedals again, their Slim Jim pedals are ace ( well, the serviceable ones are) .

Carrera – My old ( 94) Furnace frame , was superb, wheel set lasted too. Was riding it up until 2007.

Genesis – I have their Caribou fat bike and although only had it a couple if months am really happy with it.

Howies – Great pack able showerproof / windproof. Lasting very well as an always in the back pack emergency layer.

Smaller great businesses, Epic bleed solutions. BETD Goldtech. Kaetech bearings.

That all said, my go to bike is a Trance, I’m on my second one now.

tazzymtb

Stooge
    Singular
    BETD Goldtec
    Fibrax

on-one in the good old days when they made nice riding cheapy singlespeedy things, before becoming a sea of turgid multi brand shite

belugabob
    Free Member

relliott6879 – Member

failedengineer – Member
    It really annoys me to see a house with an English and/or British flag ‘proudly’ flying and a drive full of German cars.

I have the St George’s cross on the number plates of my Ford*, but my wife has an Audi. Sorry about that!

*Actually manufactured in Flat Rock, Michigan.[/quote]

I always have a combined chuckle/sigh when I see one the modern Minis with Union Flag roof and/or wing mirrors – darn those pesky Germans for stealing them from us (and our stupid government for letting it happen)

Stevet1
    Free Member

Stanton and Renthal. And Hope for managing to keep up with the big boys whilst retaining most of the manufacturing in house.

cinnamon_girl

Another vote for Hope after I bought their very first disc brakes, can’t remember the year though. Now use their products on 4 bikes.

johnnystorm

elliott6879 – Member
    failedengineer – Member
    I have the St George’s cross on the number plates of my Ford*, but my wife has an Audi. Sorry about that!

*Actually manufactured in Flat Rock, Michigan.

I always have a combined chuckle/sigh when I see one the modern Minis with Union Flag roof and/or wing mirrors – darn those pesky Germans for stealing them from us (and our stupid government for letting it happen)

I used to think that, yes “we” did give away the best car that Rover had designed in a generation but at least BMW have kept production in the UK, and eventually moved engine production across as well.

Look at how well a British team looked after the remains. Asset stripped it to death, pocketed millions, laid off thousands and sold the carcass to china to put the labels on barely half arsed vehicles.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Curtis for producing such quality frames and to custom order too but at a price of course.

Whyte for keeping up on trend but not liking their colour schemes on the frames.

Renthal for starting to make mtb products even if I haven’t tried them yet but know their hardware for motorbikes are good except the grips.

Superstar for failing to sell me a wheel set when I telephoned to order, basically not wanting business even though they needed it at the time. beats me 🙄

mark88

British? oh my god they are! It’s as if these companies think that being British will lose them sales, for the amount they advertise it!

Had a very similar conversation on the way home from the Cycle Show, did not notice anyone using the ‘made in UK’ marketing approach.

tang
    Free Member

Reynolds Great company.
    Brooks Again great stuff
    These guys are almost heritage status I think. Love Royce, Middleburn and hope. Too many good frame builders to mention, and so many good designers in the UK getting stuff made in the east.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Not one of them, British stuff is generally overpriced crap that can be bought else where, a similar product for less money without the foibles.

Customer support on disposable hobby items really?

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Shouldn’t your username be cynic-al.

stewartc
    Free Member

Stanton – love my Switchback
    Endura – My 2012 MT500 shorts are still going after 5 years
    Madison – Really like their shorts (though sizing is a bit hit or miss) and jerseys
    Hope – Both my bikes have Pro2’s, they just work and it also means that I rarely have to worry about using my bell

chakaping
    Free Member

I actually have a big soft spot for Saracen and I think they’re moving in the right direction again now, be interesting to see what they come out with in the next revision of their trail bike frames.

Also Genesis is a brand that appeals to me, understated and no-nonsense.

Daffy

Not MTB but Brompton.

Daffy

Again not strickly MTB, but Rapha.

deviant
    Free Member

Hope are frustrating, it’s not entirely their fault, it’s the fanboys too… When their stuff breaks, they fix it, yeah? But it’s not good customer service, selling something you know will break then fixing it when it does! At best it’s a last minute save. If superstar did this stuff, there’d be octopuses everywhere but people love Hope for it. This ground me down a bit, I spat the dummy when they decided to try and charge me RRP for the “upgrade” parts to fix their not-fit-for-purpose 12mm rear hub.

This for me too, they make some great stuff….the QR seat clamp on my HT is faultless and has endured many harsh British winters and still works when others have seized, snapped etc….the mix and match head set cups concept is so obvious and genius i’m surprised nobody thought of it sooner, i went from a straight steerer fork to a tapered one in a 44mm headtube….all i needed was the larger external bottom cup, Hope to the rescue and although i now have a mismatched headset with a Nukeproof top/inner and a Hope bottom/outer they work flawlessly together.

However, how often do we hear of cracked hubs, disintegrated pawls, bolloxed freehubs etc on their hubs on this forum….barely a month must pass by….and yet its conveniently swept under the carpet with a cheery “i contacted Hope and they’re sending me out a new one for free!”….as Northwind said, this is not a quality product but a last minute save by a company that has some decent customer service morals because lets face it their stuff isnt cheap!…if it was Superstar they’d be numerous threads on it….at least Superstar keep their prices cheap.

Anyway, back on thread. I like, have bought from and will happily by from again: Ribble, On-One, Superstar, Hope, Ragley, Nukeproof….i think thats about it, i tend to wander down to Trespass for outdoor/cycling clothing but i’m not sure if they’re British or not…ditto Karrimor for rucksacks, boots and such like…i think i got about 4 years out of my last set of Karrimor walking boots, not bad for £35 and they remained entirely waterproof the whole time….finally binned them when the sole came away and none of the useless cobblers in town would touch them!

wrecker
    Free Member

If superstar did this stuff, there’d be octopuses everywhere but people love Hope for it

Superstar DO do this! The difference is they don’t back it up, instead blaming their customers for being hamfisted.
    I’ve seen and heard of far more SS stuff failing (often in no time at all) than I have hope and considering the sales ratio, that’s some achievement!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

DMR
    Dialled
    Hope

Great brands, great products.

I know there’s others like Cotic/Orange/Superstar that sell good products, but the branding/marketing does not appeal.

vickypea
    Free Member

Cotic-I’d love a Cotic Soul, been looking out for a second-hand one for ages. Lots of medium but no small frames coming up.

Northwind

deviant – Member

ditto Karrimor for rucksacks, boots and such like.

I think Karrimor have been Sports Direct’d haven’t they? Name bought out and applied to cheap crap.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

However, how often do we hear of cracked hubs, disintegrated pawls, bolloxed freehubs etc on their hubs on this forum….barely a month must pass by….and yet its conveniently swept under the carpet with a cheery “i contacted Hope and they’re sending me out a new one for free!”….as Northwind said, this is not a quality product but a last minute save by a company that has some decent customer service morals

Hope sell upwards of 50,000 hubs a year. You think they’re all failing? when you make stuff, some stuff fails, even the best designed product in the world will have a few failures if enough are produced.

My marker of a quality product/company is not if I have a problem or not, but how a company deals with it. obviously if the same problem persists over and over again then it’s an issue. I’ve never had a broken Hope part and I’ve used a hell of a lot of them.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Roberts, Hope, Middleburn, USE, Carradyce

woodnut
    Free Member

I’ve still got a Genesis IOid and a Grapil and had an Equilibrium (that I wish I’d kept). Would have a Fortitude or Longitude if I could get away with it. I don’t think Whyte make an ugly bike either.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘What British mountain bike brand do you like?’ is closed to new replies.