Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What bridge camera?
  • kevster
    Free Member

After my boy dropped my camera into a muddy puddle (for the second time – first time in sand) it unfortunately cannot be fixed. I am looking for a new bridge camera with good zoom capabilities, manual settings and something readily available as I need it for the upcoming weekend. Unfortunately I am working to a budget of low £100’s. Any recommendations?

molgrips
    Free Member

Jessops have Olympus Pens of all kinds for bonkers cheap nowadays. Although perhaps not low enough for your budget.

Best bet at that price is to visit your local retailers and look for specials.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Panasonic Lumix FZ48 or whatever the current one is – maybe not as much manual as you want, but image stabilisation is good, lens distortion is low, etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-FZ48EB-K-Hybrid-Digital-Optical/dp/B005K6WTSU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346764657&sr=8-1

kevster
    Free Member

Would also consider a long zoom compact.

vermillion
    Free Member

Panasonic Lumix FZ150

molgrips
    Free Member

Olympus SP-810 UZ for mega zoom?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If a Lumix TZ counts as a long zoom compact – I had a 5 and a 3 and got the FZ38 for normal use as the results are better in lower light conditions.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have been looking at these myself (purely because I have £300 birthday money to spend) but can’t get my head around them.

They have the inconvenience of an SLR without the features but are represented as compact without being compact.

Are they really any significantly better than a good compact? Or would I be better off with a proper DSLR?

finbar
    Free Member

I can forsee the detachable flash on the Olympus PEN being a massive pain.

peterfile
    Free Member

Or would I be better off with a proper DSLR?

mastiles, if it’s any help, I’ve been carting around a DSLR for a few months now.

I started with the camera, a couple of lenses in a camera bag, and a tripod.

I’m now down to just putting the camera into the top of my pack/rucksack, the rest of the kit is left in the house.

For something to use on the move, a DSLR is a pain. If you plan to use it while active, you really need to weigh up the quality of image against the faff and reluctance to get it out of the bag.

I’m currently looking at other options, with the Pens etc appearing to be a good comprimise, but I’m still half thinking that a good compact will be better for my needs.

See if you can borrow a DSLR for a couple of weeks, see how you get on. I’m glad I have the DSLR (on loan), but I’m very glad I didn’t go out and spend £500+ on one.

Failing the availability of a loaner, paint a brick and lug it around with you, raising it up to your eye every now and then 🙂

kevster
    Free Member

Low hundreds meant £100 to £150!! Something with 18x zoom plus is fine.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Cheers Peter – I have a DSLR and a compact already but both are old.

Currently I can’t decide whether I should get a newer compact with interchangeable lenses or spend silly money on a Canon 5D before a big family holiday to California.

molgrips
    Free Member

I can forsee the detachable flash on the Olympus PEN being a massive pain.

Some have built-in flashes.

MF – bridge cameras are MUCH better than compacts (ie ones the lens doesn’t stick out). They have manual controls and bigger sensors and lenses. They have many of the features of DSLR and are a lot smaller.

The ONLY reason to get a DSLR is if you want to properly faff around with photography. If you want to find yourself choosing lenses because of their bokeh, if you want to spend time trying to get the best sharpness out of your 70-300 etc etc etc. DO NOT get one to take good quality general pictures, even including good quality arty shots. There are better options available.

Artyness comes firstly for a good eye and composition (and artistic talent!) and is helped by being able to control the camera properly. Bridge cameras will do this. Quality comes from a decent lens and sensor, and bridge cameras can also have this.

I can’t decide whether I should get a newer compact with interchangeable lenses

Crossed wires.

Compacts are the small pocket oblong ones:

Bridge cameras are the ones with a sticky out lens (mostly), they are bigger and may come with a knuckle grip

The ones with interchangeable lenses are called ILCs, MILCs or compact system cameras.

ILCs tend to have the same internals as smaller or entry level SLRs and hence give pretty much the same image quality.

Don’t by a 5D unless you are a) already very good and dead into it, b) have way too much money or c) want to look like a try-hard wannabe of either type a) or b)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah I can (and sometimes do) take ‘proper’ pictures and have used Canon cameras for years and years. I also regularly art direct other photographers so I think I know what I am doing. I hope!

I ‘want’ a 5D and am using the big holiday as an excuse. 8) But it IS a massive outlay and might just opt for a more convenient camera if there is a justification for buying one over my existing Canon compact that I just don’t get on with for its lack of manual control.

See my above question about those ‘compact’ not compact cameras with interchangeable lenses – I am thinking that if I don’t have the benefit of a compact (ie, need to carry lenses) then I may as well get a new DSLR – my current one is about 8 years old, has a low res screen the size of a stamp and is very well used.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ever held a 5D? They are gigantic, and a total overkill for someone such as yourself. I love taking pictures but I’d never get one. I sure as hell would not want to go walking around the zoo or whatever having to carry it.

I have a better than entry level (and much smaller) SLR and SEVEN good lenses for the price of a 5D and one lens. Way way better imo.

failedengineer

Have a look to see if you can still get a Canon SX220 (old model). ‘Only’ 14x zoom, but fantastic low light and high ISO performance (see tests). Battery life not fantastic though. Highly recommended and much much smaller than a bridge camera.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would like an ILC (a Pen) because I like to faff with cameras and lenses, and it would fit my existing lenses well, but it would be lighter and smaller.

I don’t often recommend them to others though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ever held a 5D?

Yes. I was in Morzine directing a photoshoot just this weekend and the photographer has two. And a good friend got one for his 40th last year and I have used that loads (both MkIIs)

They aren’t that big. Heavier than entry DSLRs due to their construction but not really any bigger.

I *really* don’t know how you are going to get a DSLR and seven good lenses for £1900 though.

BTW, I don’t know why you would think that they are overkill for me. What do you know about my experience?

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I have an old Olympus ultra zoom bridge camera and the picture quality is way better than all the compacts we have in the house (about 6 different versions of Lumix, Pentax, Olympus, Sony..)

I’m no great photographer, and don’t really use the manual features, but for point and shoot, the quality seems sooo much better.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

kevster – if you live in surrey I can lend you my Lumix FZ38 for this weekend if you want to avoid a snap decision.

If you like it you could wait for an ebay bargain that’s within your price range. Here’s one in range:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ38-Digital-Camera-Black-/221093677066?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item337a35c80a#ht_3773wt_1397

I lent it to a guy a work who was considering cameras, he bought one afterwards as he was impressed.

It is a handy size and will also take HD movies, so useful for family movies, such as the next time your boy is about to drop something…

molgrips
    Free Member

Heavier than entry DSLRs due to their construction but not really any bigger.

I think they are, I could barely hold the one in the shop!

Anyway, you should get an Olympus OM-D E5. Definitely.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well as I said, I have used one several times including the weekend just gone!

And in fact I was on a camping holiday with the friend that has one two weeks ago too and I used his quite a bit – in fact it is using it so much that makes me realise how good it is – good speed, great lens (as part of the £1900 package widely available), full size sensor etc – it just makes even snaps that bit more beautiful.

But yes, it is expensive.

molgrips
    Free Member

it just makes even snaps that bit more beautiful.

In your mind, maybe! Do you blow your snaps up huge and scrutinise them for chroma noise?

zap
    Free Member

This post is for Mastiles, Have you thought about about a Canon G12, I have two 5d Mk2’s with grips which I use for my work, I bought a G12 for family stuff and that’s the only camera I now take away on hols, I would not hesitate to take it to California, I have a filter adapter for it which works with the zoom allowing me to use 52mm filters. the attached was taken with the G12. Manual mode.

Cougar

Sounds to me like what you should be looking for is something ruggedised and waterproof. Either that or budget buying your son his own camera.

kevster
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – That is a very kind offer, unfortunately its a bit too far away. I have managed to borrow my sister in laws Panasonic bridge camera for the weekend, so like you say I can trial and not make a snap decision and also potentially get a better deal through shopping around. Thanks again 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I can trial and not make a snap decision

Surely a snap decision is exactly what you DO need to make?

kevster
    Free Member

molgrips – i see what you’ve done there!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What bridge camera?’ is closed to new replies.