Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What brakes for a drop bar mtb
  • spot1978
    Free Member

Hi all,

Pretty sure this has been asked before but I can’t seem to find recent advice.

I’m converting and old 26” single speed frame (Spot with horizontal dropouts) to a gravel bike. I have every component needed (old parts) bar the breaks.

Are the TRP cable/hydro breaks the best option. It seems a bit of a mine field with compatibility and I’m hoping the STW hive mind can suggest a few options.

Thanks.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I had cable TRP Spyres on my GT Grade and thought they were fine, with more than enough power.

087seb
    Free Member

Trp hylex are best by far imo

earl_brutus

I got tiagra hydraulics on mine they are fantastic, night and the difference to the crappppy cables discs that were on before and they obvs work seamlessly as I’ve got a tiagra 10 speed groupset

spot1978
    Free Member

Would any post mount system fit an old MTB or am I missing something?

luket

I’ve had TRP Hylex for a few years now on a singlespeed gravel type bike. They’re expensive but have been very good.

Dickyboy

Spot1978 – you’ll probably need is to post mount adaptors for the brakes, I’ve found trp spyre with compressionless cables & deore pads to be fine.

docrobster
    Free Member

I recently did this. Got some shimano r517 from wiggle £18 an end. With compressionless outers they work well. I’ve gone 2×9 as I had some old tiagra sti’s knocking about and a deore mech and 11-36 cassette. Works well with 32-44 on an old mtb triple up front.

simondbarnes

If singlespeed or bar end shifters then TRP Hylex

isitafox
    Free Member

I had Spyres on Icetech rotors and they were fantastic, some of the best brakes I’ve owned

cynic-al
    Free Member

Same question was asked days ago.

My 2p: BB7s and 105 level CX brakes work very well for me.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What brakes for a drop bar mtb’ is closed to new replies.