Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • What brakes actually work ?
  • simonm
    Free Member

I’m looking for some good value brakes for my third bike, I’ve got formula ones and R1s on other bikes and there amazing but high cost.
    Currently I have a pair of Avid Elixrs.. and there crap.. always iffy hit/miss bleeds and not that powerefull.

What brakes out there actually work ? and are a reasonable price ? (not Hopes !!!) What About the new Shimano SLX’s or XTs ?

nmdbase
    Free Member

I have the new XT and they are far better than my Elixirs were, in modulation and power, the lever is a nice feel too. I like them 🙂

ruscle
    Free Member

Hope V2’s

rob-jackson
    Free Member

new slx are immense

Superficial
    Free Member

i’d always go Shimano. The more expensive ones seem to last longer, but in terms of feel/power/modulation initially, Deores are 90% as good as XTR.

coogan
    Free Member

SLX are ace.

simonm
    Free Member

thanks, Anyone compare SLX to Avid Elixrs at all ?

Nick

Search for the Rose Bikes XT brake thread

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Not tried Elixirs but have been running SLX for a fair few years now. They’re not perfect, but they’re easy to sort when they go awry and when they do work (which is most of the time) they’re superb.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I have si, Slx win every time

dingabell
    Free Member

+1 for SLX. Awesome brakes for the money.

curvature
    Free Member

HOPE

duir
    Free Member

I switched to Hope V2’s/M4s a couple of years ago after several sets of Elixirs I owned failed. Apart from changing pads (which last ages) I have barely touched them and they just work all the time and are really powerful.

but you don’t want Hopes!

willej

Don’t discount Maguras either.

Simon

I seem to be in a minority but I like Hayes. Used Nines for years with no probs and more recently Stroker Trails. The XT’s I had were crap, initially worked well but became a nightmare, and you can’t get spares for them.

sambob
    Free Member

Outsider here, Tektro Auriga. Mine have been bled once in 2 years, have perfectly adequate power and the original pads lasted ages. Dead easy to bleed too. Whatever you do don’t get Clarks Skeletal, awful brakes.

thepodge
    Free Member

Hayes 9 are rubbish but Hayes stoker trail are brilliant. doubt you’ll do better than slx

simonm
    Free Member

SLX looks like a win especially £100 a pair at Rose bikes.

Thanks for help.

(Who are the mad fools who still think Hopes are good !!!)

MRanger156
    Free Member

Shimano or magura for me. Easy to bleed and reliable. I have saints which are insanely good but slx or Louise would be my choice on a tighter budget.

footflaps

Anything but Hope in my experience. Shimano is the most reliable followed by Magura – worked my way through pretty much all of their models (Hope, Shimano, Magura) over the last 15 years – if buying from new would go for Shimano every time – the new XT is really impressive.

spacemonkey

Hope.

Choose bigger discs if you want more stopping power though, particularly if you’re a big ol’ mutant.

Northwind

Formula Oros (and Megas) can still be had from the Formula shop for silly money. Old but still excellent brakes- wee bit weighty is all. And all spares easily available, etc etc.

Those are great prices for Shimano though. I had a lot of bother with my XTs but maybe they were just a duff set.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Er, the ones who actually use them, like me for instance.

Oxboy
    Free Member

Hayes Stroker Trails, again!
    Got them on both my bikes and the pads last for . . . . . Well I’ve not had to replace any as yet!

simonm
    Free Member

Er, the ones who actually use them, like me for instance.

ahh, a mad fool steps forwards.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 sets of SLXs (’10 & 11 models?) and love them. One of them leaked at the caipler seals though. A replacement was £20 in a sale.

Oro’s are also great – but (Im nit picking) have smaller pads that seem to be fussier about rotors with gaps in them.

Re Tektro Augira comp’s – they are basically re-manufactured Shimano Deores from yesteryear (although mine squealed like a female dog) and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery etc.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Shimano, Hope or Formula.

Shimano, great for reliability and Saint monster power.

Hope, good power, nice feel with Hope backup.

Formula, powerful with a sexual lever feel.

v8ninety

My Hayes nines have worked flawlessly for nigh on six years now, no bleeding, adjusting or faffing required. Just for the sake of balance…

ds3000
    Free Member

Can highly recommend 2012 Deores from rosebikes for 30 quid each.

Northwind

couldashouldawoulda – Member

Oro’s are also great – but (Im nit picking) have smaller pads that seem to be fussier about rotors with gaps in them.

That’s true actually, mine didn’t get on at all with my 180mm Ashima Airotors. Judderjudder. For some reason 160mm is fine though.

dan1980
    Free Member

+1 for Oros

http://store.formula-brake.com/items/special-brake-set-2

£100ish and includes your choice of rotors and adaptors.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say Giant MPH 🙂

tomaso
    Free Member

Rose did have a sale on this week and had last years XT and Deore M595 brakes for buttons – may be worth checking. If not this years Shimano brakes are awesome!

creamegg
    Free Member

My Hope V2’s have worked faultlessly since ive had them (2 years). The same cant be said about my old shimano brakes!

Mugboo

Hope here, very reliable.

As for stopping power, I’m sure that all modern brakes can overcome your Tyres grip without a problem if you use them badly?

Simonm, how did the bike falling off the uplift thing turn out?

bigrich

saint make you stop

GlitterGary
    Free Member

DX v-brake works fine on the rear for me. 8)

M6TTF
    Free Member

Save yourself a wad of cash and spend 10 mins bleeding your elixirs properly, or take the bike to someone who knows what they’re doing. Got 2 sets and they’ve never missed a beat in 2 years.

hora
    Free Member

I had a set of XTs about a year or so ago- never got on with them. Didn’t need a bleed etc. Went with K24’s – hated them with a passion and as a longshot I went back to XT’s- must have been a rogue set as I LOVE them.

XT’s servowave for the win.

grantway
    Free Member

Ones on my Vivaro Van are brill so is the Hope Mono 4’s

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘What brakes actually work ?’ is closed to new replies.