Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • What brakes ?
  • ritchic
    Free Member

Building up a lapierre spicy and need some brakes at the min I’m riding a ht with some old hopes. Not sure what to go for now though. My lbs keep putting me off avid but don’t know why. And I’ve been recommended the new deores. Any thoughts.
    I’ve got £100 to spend so I’m ok with 2nd hand ones obviously

nigelb001
    Free Member

Deore 596 – don’t bother with second hand and do listen to your LBS re Avids.

njee20
    Free Member

Deore

ritchic
    Free Member

What is the reasoning with avids then. Sounds like new deore it is then

mindmap3
    Free Member

The new Deore brakes are ace. I have the 2013 models that are not compatible with Ice Tech pads but they’re ace, especially for eighty quid without rotors.

The new Deore stuff is such good value, now looks good that you’d have to be a massive snob to pass over it or something further up the range.

tmb467
    Free Member

For an extra 20 quid you could get slx from Germany ( I’m a snob!)

Avoid avids – myl lbs won’t even bleed em

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Avids are great (when they work – which isn’t often btw) so heed the LBS, i’d upgrade your hopes if you’re buying S/H or go shimano if you buy new, worth extending the budget a bit too…..

GaryLake
    Free Member

Avids are hard to work on and not overly reliable.

Shimano all the way, or Hope if you want to be using the same brake in 5+ years time.

jedi

shimano for me. best thing i did was stop using hope

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hope 2nd hand, will still be working after you had to throw the rest in the bin.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Avoid avids – myl lbs won’t even bleed em

Agree with avoiding Avids but if your LBS won’t bleed them that tells me more about how shit their mechanic is than the brakes, to be honest.

coatesy
    Free Member

Either that, or they have experience of how it can easily turn into opening an expensive and time consuming can of worms.

ruffride
    Free Member

I’ve had most brakes and avids are good but need bleeding a lot hopes are good to but always noisy no mater what you do an over power sometimes I’ve stayed with shimano for awhile now newer slx or xt are good but best I’ve had is xt about 2010 I think they are m775 there awesome never let me down an go for ok money now

ruffride
    Free Member

I’d change bike shop there easy to bleed when you get it right must not no what there doing I do it in my garage in 15 mins an end easy

muddyfunster
    Free Member

PeterPoddy

Agree with avoiding Avids but if your LBS won’t bleed them that tells me more about how shit their mechanic is than the brakes, to be honest.

I doubt it’s because they can’t bleed them – more likely that they are sick of charging £20 for a bleed, then having to bleed the same brakes for free a month later when the customer comes back in a rage claiming they weren’t done correctly.

Then again, a few weeks later, so this time the mechanic rebuilds them and £20 charge ends up costing days in free labour all because of avids sh*tty quality.

Nonsense
    Free Member

I’ve had Avids and they were consistently crap after numerous bleeds. Then the pin which the lever pivots on just dropped out whilst on a downhill run at Innerleithen. One of the scariest things that’s ever happened to me. Current Deore and XT at the moment and they have been brilliant.

shortcut

Avids can be a complete pain to keep running, not very reliable.

Shimano are great! Just buy the ones you want – Slx, Deore, XT, XTR are all good!

takisawa2

I’ve just bought some Avids…

BB7’s… 😉

Got Avids on all out bikes, but only because they come up cheap S/H. Once bled they’re ok but I wouldn’t buy them new. My money would go on Deores,

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m gonna be wildly different and say Deores

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Magura brakes are the best IME,

Then Shimano (admit to not having Shimano for a few years though)

Hopes look ace but aren’t

Avoids should be binned straight away (apart from BB7’s) or sold to some mug on EBay.

Wookster

Avids are awesome when they work! ButI got sick of awesome brakes, leave over night pull to the bars the following day, and no bike or ride this was on juicy sevens, threes and XX. So I’d avoid like the plague…..

I’ve got a set of Slx over three years old no issues, I’m Shimanos all the way mate.

zelak999
    Free Member

Shimano all the way. Avids are indeed a bitch to bleed.

tmb467
    Free Member

they are sick of charging £20 for a bleed, then having to bleed the same brakes for free a month later when the customer comes back in a rage claiming they weren’t done correctly

THIS

Avids when working are great brakes – but they stop working quite quickly.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Deore.

If you can stretch the to extra, SLX from Germany.

banks
    Free Member

Also going to go against the grain here – deore ftw. Replaced my 300 hope set up & never looked back! Also find that I rarely brake now as the deore’s can stop me on a sixpence.

Northwind

Deore. Orrrrr… Formula are still selling off Oro K24s with rotors for 130 euros. They’re not better than Deores, just different- more subtle lever feel, which some folks prefer. Oh and spares are available. But they have the old Oro lever shape which isn’t the nicest.

I’d get the deores but it’s nice to have choices 😉

muddyfunster – Member

more likely that they are sick of charging £20 for a bleed, then having to bleed the same brakes for free a month later when the customer comes back in a rage claiming they weren’t done correctly.

Exactly this.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2013 set of avid codes and they are the best brakes I’ve ever used! I have some mint ,almost unused, 2013 shimano deores if you want them .

crispy1980
    Free Member

How much for the deores?

fd3chris
    Free Member

£60 posted crispy. they are long enough for a medium fs frame with wide bars and 150 forks and virtually unmarked.

crispy1980
    Free Member

Hi, could you measure tithe rear hose for me? Also some pics to phillipschris7 @ aol dot com cheers, chrid

fd3chris
    Free Member

Just off out to the gym Chris, will do it when I get back mate.

crispy1980
    Free Member

Ok mate cheers

fd3chris
    Free Member

Hi chris the rear is roughly 1320mm measure on the bike. If that length is ok for you then I can take some pics and email you them. Cheers.

crispy1980
    Free Member

I’ll measure my current hose and see, I have a large fs so wondering tidbit may beta little short. I’ll let you know tomoz

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘What brakes ?’ is closed to new replies.