Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What Bottom Bracket?
  • callumdg
    Free Member

I’m building my On-One Inbred up 1×10 but need some help choosing a bottom bracket, i’m using sram x7 Cranks with a 32t chainring, and the cassette is a sram x9 pg1070, 12-36t.
    I just want to know what size, or what bottom bracket i should use specifically?

Thanks,

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Unless asking for something specifically to support single-ring setups (which I wouldn’t know about anyway) you just need the standard 68/73mm GXP system like this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-gxp-team-bb-cups/rp-prod55194

There are hundreds of variants from SRAM (Truvativ), Shimano, RaceFace, Hope and others that are all compatible with your SRAM cranks. It’s the most common standard by far, so you’ll have no problem finding one in any bike shop.

Northwind

You’re stuck with Truvativ rubbish or a compatible- Token do one, Hope can be adapted, there’s a few others.

<edit- @DiscJockey, GXP is not the same as other external BBs- it’s not compatible with Shimano or Raceface! Not a common standard at all>

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Check uberbike

callumdg
    Free Member

Does it matter that my cranks so GXP on them?

compass81

Hope BB’s are available with a GXP converter. Bearings are replaceable but mine are still going strong 3 years later. Definitely worth the investment.

stevious

My experience of the SRAM GXP BBs was pretty poor.

A Hope BB with adaptor has proved more cost effective by far.

vincienup
    Free Member

As above, SRAM gxp cranks need an adaptor to fit a regular hope ht2 bb (it’s a top hat reducer washer)

Not sure if you can use this adaptor with other ht2 bb’s … Would make sense but don’t know.

Buy a gxp compatible bb from SRAM or one of the compatibles from token etc.

Anything saying ‘shimano compatible’ or ‘ht2’ will not fit. The crank axle will be too narrow.

I heard the ‘Gxp bb’s are cheese’ thing but I have a lowly black one that came with an x5 crank that’s still fine a year on…

Afaik Inbreds are a 68mm bb (o-o website will say or use a ruler…) but this doesn’t matter until you install (different spacer pattern, instructions will be with bb). Just don’t buy 83mm or ht2… 🙂

Northwind

You could probably modify most Shimano-compatibles to work, with a bit of worl. The Hope tophats adaptor won’t fit any of the Shimanos I’ve looked at but that’s not to say it won’t work with any (Shimano are quite narrow inside, you can’t fit the inner tophat)

I had a wee google and the Token kit seems to be quite easy to find. Or Hope, but frankly fitting Hope to an X7 makes little sense when a better crank costs so little, just polishing a jobbie really.

callumdg
    Free Member

What are the views of the token ones compared to the sram ones?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What Bottom Bracket?’ is closed to new replies.