Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What boots for cold wet puddle splashy riding?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

Yeah I’m sorry I know it’s been done before but: what boots for typical English winter riding, i.e. cold wet rain, deep splashy puddles, etc rather than super cold and dry snow so performance in the wet is more important than performance in super low temps.

I have (I think) Shimano MW80s, a couple of years old now, they’re ok in cold & dry but need something a notch up.

Not Fasterkatts, I tried but didn’t get on with them, but something along those lines I think with some kind of extra flap page (instead of a separate neoprene overshoe) with a good seal at the leg.

I bloomin’ hate cold wet feet me.

Ta.

Shimano MT91 – brilliant boot!

pnik

+1 for Shimano Goretex I’ve got the 81’s great boots. been through lakeland streams and boggy moors. will replace with more of same.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

+1 for Shimano gore-tex. I’m on my second pair of MT90s.
    I use a pair of Berghaus glacier ankle-gaiters when it gets really wet, with waterproof trousers over the top.

asterix
    Free Member

+1 for MT91s – brilliant:-)

mattjg
    Free Member

thx, do the MT91s have any way of preventing (or discouraging, it’s near impossible to prevent 100%) water ingress from the top? They look more like a hiking boot so I hadn’t given them serious consideration before.

The Spesh Defroster ’14 look like they may be a goer too.

asterix
    Free Member

not really i.e. there’s no wetsuit type bit, but it doesn’t seem to be a problem

ir_bandito
    Free Member

do the MT91s have any way of preventing (or discouraging, it’s near impossible to prevent 100%) water ingress from the top

Nope, hence using mini gaiters

They really come into their own if you have to do any hike-a-biking on wet rocks, or slippy surfaces with the chunky Vibram sole and despite the chunkiness, I have no problem clipping in on my CB Mallet platforms

fastindian
    Free Member

Shimano MW80s been using them for 3 years keep your feet warm even if you get em full of water 😆

mattjg
    Free Member

even if you get em full of water

not my experience, cold water in = cold feet

perhaps you are blessed with self heating tootsies

vorlich
    Free Member

Well I decided to go for a pair of Haglofs Roc legend Mids as they have a soft compound flatish sole and I didn’t want/need SPDs. I can use these for off bike activities. Cool colour too! 😀

Linky

Fat-boy-fat

MT-91s for me too. Great boots. I wear them with a thick pair of hiking socks to keep my tootsies warm in thd event of water ingress. You do neex to go a size up though as they are a bit neat.

bedmaker

For really wet riding, I find that using gaiters to stop your sock getting soaked and drawing water into the boot from the top makes much more difference than the boot itself.

Possibly even more important is decent mudguards to stop the water getting there in the first place.

mattjg
    Free Member

yeah, long trousers are the only real answer I’ve found to water ingress. I run a crud catcher on the front but that doesn’t stop calf splash then boot run-innage.

Impressive so many of you rate the MT91.

Shred
    Free Member

Northwave + gaiters. Keep all the water off your lower leg and out of the shoe.

coatesy
    Free Member

Long sealskinz inside my MW81s, the longer they are, the longer it takes to seep in.

raversknee
    Free Member

MW80s work perfect for me. Warm dry feet with standard socks, no need for winter socks.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Also use mini gaters stops all the water getting in via tops

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Picked up a pair of Specialized Defroster Trail in a 20% off sale at Dales Cycles the other day.

Only one ride through a soaking wet Mugdock Park under their velcro straps to date, but they seemed pretty much watertight and a massive improvement on my previous Sealskinz/overshoes wet weather combo.

Only criticism is they’re a bit gimpy and fetish-looking, but probably no more so than the overshoes.

iainc

Stef – did you get 13 or 14 ones ? I was in Dales yesterday and tried a 46 but a little big, so they are ordering a 45. Seems that the 2014 ones are roomier, such that you can go same size as normal and have space for thick socks

righog
    Free Member

There is still a gap in the market for some proper winter flats,

MW81 upper with AM41 sole ?

brickwizard
    Free Member

North Wave GTX Celsius . Job done

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Anyone tried those MW81 boots with flats?

….and presumably with red socks?

Otherwise, I’m thinking about trying some Five Ten Elements (without the new Xvi sole, or whatever it’s called)

federalski
    Free Member

Ian, Stef how much were they in store?
    They do look the business.

iainc

RRP is £150, perhaps some club discounts around…

Thin Stef got them in the 4 day Christmas Sale at Dales, but it’s finished now 🙁

takisawa2

Man up you lot… 😀

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I use MW81s and dry suit ankle seals to stop water ingress from above.They are under a tenner a pair and really do the trick.

stufive
    Free Member

Had these three years now 😀

lake boot by Stufive, on Flickr

federalski
    Free Member

Cheers Iain.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Yep MW81s here too.
    1st pair are 1/2 size too large which allowed a thick pair of socks & this year bought a second pair 1 size larger that I can year 2 thick pairs of socks in when it’s extremely cold – in the minuses…
    I have also made a set of gaiters / seals from the arms of a black pair of industrial rubber gloves that go snugly against my legs & over the top of the boots. This stops water going through my thermal bib-longs & finding its way into my boots!

corroded
    Free Member

I wear a pair of MT90s that I absolutely adore. The single bright spot of this godforsaken season is that I can enjoy their dry, toasty embrace once more.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What boots for cold wet puddle splashy riding?’ is closed to new replies.