Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What Bit me?
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

Got a bite on the leg at the weeknd while riding in the woods. Since then it there is a very hard area around the bite about 10cm in diameter. Its incredibly itchy, swollen and red.
    Any ideas what it was and what I can do to alleviate the itching/tenderness and swelling?

Drac

Horse fly.

wwaswas

horse fly would be my guess.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/313714.php

[edit] too late because I looked for a link 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Horse fly bite more than likely

perchypanther
    Free Member

Any ideas what it was and what I can do to alleviate the itching/tenderness and swelling?

Probably doesn’t matter at this stage what it was  and  maybe cellulitis?

Docs. ASAP.

I had this 6 weeks before my wedding and let it go a week before seeking medical attention. That was stupid. I have two ten pence sized scars on my leg as a reminder.

cinnamon_girl

Any pics?

wwaswas

Any pics?

horse fly

😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

Any pics?

What?… of the scars on my leg?

I know that chicks dig scars but that’s a step too far.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Any pics?

none that really show the extent of the swelling.

Nico
    Free Member

Some kind of horse fly, I’ll wager.

johndoh
    Free Member

Was it a tiger?

77ric
    Free Member

995400_10201508703983723_465551360_n<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

this is what a horse fly did to me about 8 weeks before I got married, healed up just in time after 3 weeks of heavy antibiotics.

bubs

Yuck.
    It does sound like a reaction to a horse fly bite. The infected area will be worse if you then scratched it.
    If it makes you feel any better, I got bitten/pierced by an assassin bug (or similar thing) rescued off of a path on Sunday..my knuckle is now red, swollen and hot. Not sure the kids learnt the lesson about not being scared of insects that I had hoped they would!

handybar
    Free Member

When I was bitten by a horsefly it felt like someone had shot me in the back of the leg with an airgun.

swavis

Horseflies are pure evil, I was bitten twice in close succession, through clothing. Horrible buggers.

fruitbat

New line of cycle clothing required – Zebra Stripes

nick1962
    Free Member

Louise?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I was bitten about half a dozen times in one go last year. Damn itchy, and scratching just makes it worse (although very hard to resist).

singletrackmind

I got bitten by a spider
    I am now spiderman
    Little bugger was hiding in my water meter housing under a cobweb. I swpet aside the cobweb , then felt a small prick.
    Yanked out my hand to see a spider impaled on my little finger. Hit it up with alcohol gel, and a couple of Certrizine hyrdro tabs , and apart from being able to fire webs from my wrists , no reaction at all.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

your meter STM?

Your meter STM?

DezB
    Free Member

I was bitten on the side of the leg by a horsefly… started a thread called “What bit me?” 😀

jca

I’m sorry…I was peckish…

stevied
    Free Member

Might have been a false widow spider.
    One bit me and I lost an arm as nd can now omky tulr with mu nobe.

Bunnyhop

Horrible things horsefly bites.
    In the warm February we had, I was bitten 7 times. I didn’t get much sleep for 3 weeks.

Dr. told me to put something like germolene on the bite the minute you feel it happen and the skin is broken.
    Also the little biters seem to go for black. I’ve even been bitten through my black cycling longs.

alanf
    Free Member

I wish I’d been bitten by a horsefly!
    Instead I got an Akita to the back of my knee!!!
    That was bad enough, but it’s caused a DVT in my leg and I’m on blood thinners for 3 months.
    I can almost walk normally now about 16 days later…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Presume the akita is now exakita?

alanf
    Free Member

No, the Akita is still free as far as I’m aware.
    The ‘owner’ didn’t see it but denied it and claimed my dog had bit me!
    She had other large dogs so confronting her was not really an option.
    I reported it but not sure what can be done as don’t know her or where to find her!

If it was a child then things could have been much, much worse.
    I completely blame the owner, not the dog.

avdave2

I was bitten by a horsefly and wondered what the fuss was all about, stung a little but that was all. 4 hours or so later when the itching started I knew the answer.

lovewookie

clegs. big black clegs here. they do some damage too.
    it seems to go:
    they land on poop
    they land on you and bite
    the bite hurts
    a few hours later you feel unwell
    a day later the area around the bite, often most of the limb swells, you feel like you have flu.
    either, you ride it out, feeling like crap for a couple of weeks.
    you go to the docs and get antibiotics and only fel crap for a couple of days.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

clegs here. they do some damage too.

That’s a bit of an accusation.

Bunnyhop

alanf – are those the injections you have to have in your stomach? If so, not nice.

brakes
    Free Member

baby robin?

alanf
    Free Member

@Bunnyhop – fortunately it’s now tablets rather than injections and no messing about with INR blood tests etc. I suppose that’s a plus 🙂

razorrazoo

I have been bitten at Swinley when riding in the evening (summer) a few times where the bite has caused similar symptoms. Not sure what the culprit is, but definitely not a horsefly, and definitely not as horrible in the centre as 77s, I reckon I just react badly to certain mozzies. Try to remember to put on the insect repellent these days which seems to stop it.

chowsh
    Free Member

Blandford fly are the ones that give me a bad reaction. Horrible little buggers, have taken to using the Avon skin so soft as a repellent.
    http://www.woodstocksurgery.co.uk/website/K84042/files/Blandford%20fly%20bites.pdf

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What Bit me?’ is closed to new replies.