Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • What bird table visitor would thrill you?
  • SidewaysTim

We had an eagle of some description in the garden, eating a goose the other day. Well, that’s what I told the kids anyway.

The woman next door who knows about these things reckons it was a sparrowhawk with a pidgeon, but I think I know best.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

my table at work gets one of these every few days.

Not my photo I hasten to add…

coolhandluke
    Free Member

EDIT>

Wow – my first double post!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tinners

“The minute I get my fat balls out, the tits suddenly appear everywhere” (Sid James, Carry on Birding, circa 1972)
    We also have a fair selection of birds – great spotted woodpeckers (aggressive devils that dominate the other birds), green woodpeckers (more interested in the ants at ground level), coal tits, long tailed tits (I think), doves, jay, kingfisher (v v shy and easily scared off though), heron, wrens, finches and nuthatches as well as the other usual garden birds. They seem to prefer peanuts to seed. (The heron, kingfisher and green woodpecker do not go near the feeders, though – just been spotted nearby)
    I’m having to buy seed in bulk and it’s costing a fortune at the moment – I’m having to fill 2 extra large seed feeders every other day……
    I’m easily pleased and would be thrilled to see any bird I hadn’t seen before.

Hadge
    Free Member

I get tits on my nuts all the time but wouldn’t mind a Shag 😉

CountZero

Tried Niger Seeds last year and the birds ignored them, and they don’t seem to like sunflower seeds in shells either, but they go mad for the sunflower hearts, and they’ve now started to go for fatballs and coconut shells filled with fat and seeds. In the garden I get a flock of Goldfinches, often numbering over twenty at a time, a small family of sparrows, some starlings, a couple of robins, blackbirds, chaffinches, Greenfinches, wagtails, occasionally some long-tailed tits, blue tits, great tits, redwings and fieldfares later in the winter, and I had a flock of waxwings last winter in the trees at the bottom of the garden. Had a sparrowhawk once some years back.
    No baby robins tho’.
    edit] I’d love to get a Jay and some bullfinches

simondbarnes

The most colourful visitors I get to my garden are Goldfinches

Goldfinch feeding by simondbarnes, on Flickr

Would quite like to see a yellowhammer in my garden.

neilc1881
    Free Member

I’m aware it’s not a bird, but on the weekend an otter took 5 pretty sizeable (50-60cm) Koi Carp from the pond and scattered them through the fields with various parts missing. The sheep didn’t quite know what to make of it. I’ve always been hoping to see the Heron which regularly visits go for one, but he never has, the coward.

piha
    Free Member

I would love to see a Hoopoe, they are meant to visit Britain but I’ve never seen one.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I saw a Hoopoe whilst I was staying at a friends holiday home in Normandy in France. My friend is now very jealous as he has never had the pleasure.

Quite the most distinctive bird I have ever seen. Never seen one in the UK though.

peajay

Raven, they are bad ass!

deep_river
    Free Member

Only lived in my house 1 year in ludlow and had

Blackcaps (regular)
    Goldcrest (regular ish)
    Redwing
    Fieldfare
    Willow Tit
    Buzzard

Seen only 10 yards from house (on river Teme)

Gooseander
    Kingfisher (nested opposite our house)
    Cormorant
    Dippers
    Yellow Wagtail
    Hobby

Hopefully lookin forward to seeing a Hawfinch soon

I would like to see a Siskin/yellowhammer and Brambling in garden

Esme
    Free Member

Derek, since you live in Manchester, have you visited the cafe at Tockholes?
    “The cafe hosts a unique bird watching facility through one way glass and regular visitors include greater spotted woodpeckers, nuthatches chaffinches and many more.”

The food is nothing special, but the birds are absolutely fascinating. We watched three woodpeckers back in the summer

Nice riding as well, through Roddlesworth Woods, or up to Darwen Tower (but maybe wait until the tower is fixed!)

derek_starship
    Free Member

Esme – you’ve just sent a shiver down my spine! A friend of mine has organised a route to ride on Saturday. Starting in Horich, taking in Turton Moor, Withnell moor etc.. He suggested a cafe stop at around the half way point. And guess what – it’s Vaughn’s Country Cafe that you have just described in your post!

So no I haven’t but on Saturday I will 😮

I love coincidences.

Esme
    Free Member

Me too! 😉

CountZero

+1 peajay. Ravens are starting to reappear around North Wilts, I’ve seen them on the Ridgeway above Avebury and around the Wilts & Berks Canal at Reybridge near Lacock, so I’m hoping to see them coming close to Chippenham. I’ve seen a Red Kite near Calne, and another heading towards Marshfield from Bristol, so maybe I’ll get to see them squabbling over bacon scraps in the garden. That would be really something.

RealMan
    Free Member

AndyF1
    Free Member

Stephens Island Wren.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘What bird table visitor would thrill you?’ is closed to new replies.