Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 151 total)
  • What bikes have you ridden and couldn't stand?
  • boriselbrus
    Free Member

Mk1 Prince Albert. Heavy, dead feeling with stupid high BB

Scott Genius. Weird geometry and strange feeling suspension.

In comparison I absolutely LOVE my 09 Epic and 07 Stumpy 120

Horses for courses !

fourbanger
    Free Member

Rode a Pitch hire bike in NZ. Suspension didn’t feel like it was going to stop on impact. Been 10 years on a HR mind, but very odd feeling.

MrSmith
    Free Member

inbred. too long, too bendy
    ventana x-5. overpriced high BB
    cotic roadrat. overpriced heavy hybrid
    orange-5 no
    cristini AWD. lol

all poor.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Haven’t been able to try many bikes as I’m one of the only people I know that uses Time pedals, but the Trek Remedy wasn’t very nice I thought.

Woody
    Free Member

Lots of bikes I didn’t get on with bit the ones I couldn’t stand are:-

GT LTS2 – lasted a couple of miles of a hideous feeling of being about to be thrown off. Took it straight back to the shop and the owner tried it and agreed!

MC San Andreas – horrible bobbing pingy poingy thing

Giant Box 1 – like riding scaffolding poles filled with lead

Base Bike – like a gay date with Ron Jeremy

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Never had one I didn’t like. Even the first, a Peugeot Tim Gould hardtail, with steel stanchioned coil suspension forks you could lock out.. back in 92 or 93…

_tom_
    Free Member

Didn’t really get on with my Rockhopper. It didn’t inspire much confidence. I think the frame was one size too big for me anyway.

daveb
    Free Member

I had an Orange P7 that I just didnt get on with at all, tried really hard to like it but sold it about 5 months after buying it.

Charge Mixer commuter, just didnt really like it much, never really felt right

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

It seems there is a lot of Specialized bikes being mentioned, funny as I never liked their step seat tube angles, I also never got on with a Norco for the same reason*

* PS, I am not a long haul rider, I prefer a more fun bike for short (2 hour) blasts**.

** Trips to the pub.

hugor
    Free Member

What bikes have you ridden and couldn’t stand?

I’ve spent so much money on my bikes but none of them came with a stand. Its not good enough.
    I usually lean them on a tree or fence instead.

tazzymtb

2009 marin mount vision, according to all the bike press it should of been amazing……it was just cack.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Orange 5 , had fond memories of riding on washing machines, just didn`t live up to it!!!!!

dekadanse
    Free Member

Couple of years ago I had the use of a Boardman HT Pro for a couple of days – hated it, rigid bone shaker, and didn’t even feel fast.

A few more years ago my wife, just getting into off roading, had a Giant Rock. What a pile of crap. Should have been an OK towpath bike, but it just never worked – a real Friday afternoon bike. Put me (and her) off Giants ever since!

kiwijohn

Santa Cruz Tall Boy, so sluggish up hill even compared to my Iron Horse MkIII, which ain’t light. Adequate down hill, but a bit too slow on the steering.
    Scott Scale 29, fine in a straight line, but it didn’t want to turn at all.

HansRey

someone posted a 24seven DH bike earlier… that was my first proper mountain bike. The whole bike was bombproof, from the frame to the components nothing broke in 2 years. I had some Hayes HFX9s which had no modulation, but stopped as quickly as a brick wall for some reason. Apart from complete reliability it was utter cack. It doesn’t stop me wanting to get another one, for old times sake…

walleater

Shyte E5. A bike that was faster uphill than down, which for a 5 inch travel bike was a remarkable achievement. My hardtail at the time was faster down…

bampot
    Free Member

Specialized Epic (c. 2003?), bought new, crashed most rides for a year before I gave up… just too steep in the front for me. Guess it’s not it’s fault (plenty of others obviously don’t have my issues 🙂 ), I was just riding where it wasn’t expected to go…

PePPeR

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought that the Dialled Biked Prince Albert Mk1 wasn’t right!

It’s the only bike I ever regret buying, I sold on a Saracen Zen frame to get it and so regretted doing so.

scottalej
    Free Member

I’ve found a lot of bikes just aren’t ‘fun’. They’re competent and do the job but lack that extra something which makes you want to go out and ride them.
    Bike’s I’ve demoed or owned that have disappointed include Giant, Trek (£6500 EX9.9 felt sluggish and heavy), Specialized (the Camber was nice though) and Marin.
    Those I’ve had fun on are Santa Cruz, Ibis, Cove hardtails, Cotic, On-One and Gary Fisher.
    Orange bikes seem to have lost the fun factor as have Cannondale.

neil853
    Free Member

I didn’t ‘hate’ it but I had one of the early Cove Stiffee’s with the easton RAD tubing, it was sooooooo rigid that after 10-15 miles it gave me chronic back ache. So I just didn’t enjoy riding it except for short mid week night rides, saying that for that it was fantastic 🙂

There are many more bikes I regret selling than buying 🙁

xterramac
    Free Member

Years ago iIbought a GT I-drive off of ebay late one night after a few beers thinking it would make a great “do it all bike”, it didn’t….
    I did however make, peak district rides very hard work, local rides slow, lots of bad sounds after a few rides….. sold it quick and deleted all memorys of it,, until now, oh bugger

woodsman
    Free Member

Blur

sssimon
    Free Member

most of the vpp bikes I’ve ridden

soul
    soda
    trailstar never really lived up to the hype
    giant reign

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Curtis Freeride hardtail. Looked gorgeous, but just felt – erm… – odd. Really stiff,high bottom bracket, short top tube.

Maybe I was just riding it wrong. Or should have hung it on the wall to dribble over.

rickmeister

Spesh Epic… Epic Fail for me but mrs Rickmeister likes it…

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve still got it 😆

1996/7 Columbus framed Kona Explosif – twitchy ditch magnet bast&^rd constantly tries to kill me. I was going to sell it but I dented the top tube in a huge crash two weeks after getting it and have been stuck with the fri*&er ever since.

Either this bike is going to kill me or I am going to kill it. I did break the chainstay at the dropout… but I got it repaired so I can continue to try and kill the f*&*er properly 😈

timc
    Free Member

It was the same size as my Handjob, which was great!

But then I bought a mk.2 Handjob and found I sat ‘on’ it rather than ‘in’ it – that didn’t last either.

I think I just don’t fit the Cove sizing blueprint…

Was just saying 🙂 🙂

Worst bike i ever demo’d was a cannondale prophet, on paper it should have been good, but in reality it was heavy, sluggish & the fork / shock just didnt make for a nice ride for me, I jusmped on my mates 5 Spot so he could have a go, it was like heaven & he agreed the Prophet was a dog of a bike…

dday

456 SS, rode it, hated it. Spent a few weeks staring at it, then splashed some cash on the spec, and now its fantastic.

Proves bad components can ruin a good frame.

Mind you, have a Pompino ss, with a flip-flop hub. Its going on ebay real soon. Its just not fun..

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

2009 Trek fuel ex8 snapped frame after a week, weighed a ton

Northwind

Oh! My SX Trail, forgot about that because I barely rode it. Climbed like my downhill bike does, descended like my trail bike does. Still, any time I criticise it I get told I’m wrong by people who’ve never ridden one, so that’s entertaining.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Oh! My SX Trail, forgot about that because I barely rode it. Climbed like my downhill bike does, descended like my trail bike does. Still, any time I criticise it I get told I’m wrong by people who’ve never ridden one, so that’s entertaining.

You’re so wrong. 🙄

Northwind

PS, does anyone want to buy an SX Trail? It’s bloomin amazing, climbs like a trailbike but descends like a downhill bike!

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve found a lot of bikes just aren’t ‘fun’. They’re competent and do the job but lack that extra something which makes you want to go out and ride them.

Yep 🙂 Whilst my BFe was very stable and easy to go fast on downhill it felt like a bit of a tank and so was a bit dull and uninspiring to ride. My Trailstar isn’t as stable but it’s more exciting to ride. I love my Bullit for this reason as well. For a downhill bike it has a fairly short wheelbase and “steep” angles but it’s such a fun bike to ride especially on anything jumpy.

dreednya

Strangely a Trek EX8 that I test rode while my Heckler was getting its fork fixed. Just could not get on with even though I looked forward to testing it out and thought I’d love it.

A stumpjumper, that I thought I’d not like I actually really got on with despite the ride position putting me over the fork – actually I had to turn the brain bit off the rear shock ‘cos that was really crap before the bike worked for me.

catvet
    Free Member

Turner 5 spot total shite

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Intense 6.6. Why so much travel yet so steep and nervous feeling. Horrid thing.

Soul. Flexy! Tried to love this bike as folk rave about them, tried lots of different setups. Got a Sovereign instead now.

Scott genius. Gate. Too many levers on the bars. Scary proprietary shock. Climbed well, i’ll give it that.

superfli
    Free Member

Orange X2. I bought it after stupidly selling my rocklobster and wanted to get into this FS business. Saw some pics and a few pros looked good on it, so I bought a frame.. Early FS design, URT total sh*te, sus only works when sitting, how pointless. pivots kept coming loose and if tightened, impaired the action.
    Oh what a shame it got nicked – I then bought my first Stumpy FSR – infinitely better.

neallyman
    Free Member

Climbed like my downhill bike does

No surprise there given it’s designed for gravity riding and not climbing…

descended like my trail bike does

That’ll be the pilot.

Wookster

Ibis mojo, don’t know why just never got on with it

Northwind

neallyman – Member

No surprise there given it’s designed for gravity riding and not climbing…

<snip>

That’ll be the pilot.

Point is, since it climbs as badly as a downhill bike but doesn’t descent as well as a downhill bike… why not just get a downhill bike? It’s sacrificing descending ability for no real gain or, if you prefer, sacrificing climbing ability for no real gain.

As for the descending… I took it to fort william for the endurance dh, took it down the mountain once, and it wasn’t as good as my Hemlock. Slightly better in the air (I guess for people who’re all about jumping that’d be a bigger deal), but worse everywhere else. So I robbed it for spares on race day, and never bothered to rebuild it. if a “gravity riding” bike can’t beat an allrounder trailbike for a job like that, when can it?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘What bikes have you ridden and couldn't stand?’ is closed to new replies.