What bikepacking tent

Home Forum Bike Forum What bikepacking tent

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What bikepacking tent
  • Premier Icon YoKaiser
    Subscriber

Maybe getting a tent for Christmas, what’s the current flavour of the month around £100? Or should I go a bit more? Plan to be a fairly fair weather camper.

d45yth

Wild Country tents are the same as the Terra Nova ones, but with heavier/cheaper materials. Sometimes you can get good deals on the Terra Nova’s though…mine weighs less than most bivi and tarp setups!
    Field and Trek often have good deals on both and things are often reduced/cleared out on the Terra Nova website.

Edit: beaten to it.

Lots of folk seem to like the Wild Country Zephyros tents … I believe the 1 man version has a bigger porch than the 2 man if it makes a difference to you.

I’ve been using a Vango Force 10 Helium 100 for a while and it’s great. Quick/easy to pitch, very stable, just over 1kg and very well made.

FuzzyWuzzy

Decathlon have a good range these days, inc. ultralights. Personally I’d go for a 2-man even if you’re going solo (unless weight/packed size are critical to you), much more room.

d45yth

fuzzywuzzy – ‘unless weight/packed size are critical to you’

It’s for bikepacking! Although a lot of folk obsess over weight too, it’s the packed size of things that I think is the main consideration…

EDIT: …unless you want to have a big pack on your back, panniers or a trailer.

danielgroves

I’ve always just used my TerraNova Laser. Love that tent. Weighs next to nothing, packs down small and is a really good tent. Gets a tad flappy in really string winds, but thats what you get for a one-pole tent.

Used it bike/backpacking/, and when travelling via car. It’s seen Cornwall’s costs, Yorkshire, Scotland Highlands, Lake District and the Outer Hebrides over the years, and has never let me down. Love it to bits, and wouldn’t change it for the word right now.

Premier Icon monkeyp
    Subscriber

Gelert solo. 30 squid, and a great little tent for the money.

gazc

what about one of these alpkit Delta tents LINK

ok, they’re a bit compromised in the design as they clearly state, but its 60 quid and if you’re a bit handy you could mod it, and maybe not an issue if you’re a fair weather camper as the OP wants. plus the 40 quid saving would go towards a nice frame or saddle bag if you dont have one already

a mate has a gelert tent and it seems good too

I’ve got a vango superlight helium 200, which is perfect for me on me tod and can squeeze the missus in too so a bit more multifunctional than my old one man tent (cant remember model it was a mountain hardwear). also – agree on pack size being important. the helium is a tad heavier than my old tent but it certainly packs down a lot smaller so easier to get in the saddle bag

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Subscriber

Klaus, never mind fannyin’ about wi tents, get emailing riviera bike!.

Bivvy bag, btw. Tents are for agoraphobics.

Premier Icon mattstreet
    Subscriber

Having lugged a TerraNova Voyager around a bit, I’ll be swapping to a tarp for next summer. Like the idea of no poles and having to improvise a bit! 🙂

Premier Icon djflexure
    Subscriber

Just got an Alpkit Delta and I’m quite happy with it.
    Plan A is to use it as a tarptent with bivvy.
    The inner looks fine but is a bit baggy that’s all.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Alpkit Delta here (and 5 of my instructor staff) – faff to pitch ‘right’, but use the ‘under strap’ used when inner is not in and it pitches perfect.
    Used it now about 4 nights, 3 as full tent, one as tarp tent, including downpours and a few hours of mid-windy conditions, and it is fine.
    Won’t last long judging by how light all the fabric is mind.

headfirst

Check out backpackinglight.co.uk. I’ve got the mini peak 2 which is great, good internal space when pitched and small and light when packed. Ridiculously easy to pitch too. It replaced my gelert solo which was just too small, I realised I needed to sit up in my tent!

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

^ mini peak is not midge proof inner – the only reason I did not buy one.

headfirst

Yes, it is a strict camping policy of mine: midge zones are no go zones for me, so this not an issue.

Premier Icon YoKaiser
    Subscriber

Cheers everybody, loads to look into.

Greg I’m getting to auld for a bivi in anything but the middle of summer and a good few latitudes lower than were I’d be going. Riveria emailed 😀

doh

I’ve been using a Vango Force 10 Helium 100 for a while and it’s great. Quick/easy to pitch, very stable, just over 1kg and very well made.

been using mine for 2+ years (7-8 weeks approx )very happy with it. survived some pretty bad weather and keeps the midges out. nice and light and packs small if that is important to you 😀

Premier Icon househusband
    Subscriber

I had the Vango F10 Helium 100 too, but at 6’2″ it was just a tad too short for me – bought a Terra Nova Laser Comp 1 as it is just a bit longer.

jamest

Go lite shangri la 3. Light weight, roomy for 2 with kit, you can sit upright and cook in it. Highly adaptable, use it without the floor, use it with a mozzy net available seperatley, use walking poles or suspend it from a tree. Better than some of the Terra Nova offerings due to it’s tepee shape, more useable room. Reccomended.

Shangri la 3 or 5 gets my vote to.. ace all day, top of the pops

I am a shangri la 3 user, tiny pack size, loads of room.

You can ditch the pole too, and tie the tent up to a tree, or use 2 walking poles or I use my paddle when bikerafting. tis cool
    ANdy

or a stick I suppose.

Premier Icon flyingmm
    Subscriber

Mate has a Vango helium and they aren’t cheap, but are insanely lightweight. I’m 5 10 and there is plenty of room for 2 of me with some kit and a wee porch for cooking. Clever shape as well to accommodate for your upper body.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What bikepacking tent’ is closed to new replies.