• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ontor.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What bike trailer for cargo?
  • sam_underhill

Thinking of a trailer to use with the existing “pub bike” for shopping trips / dump trips etc. It’s an old school 26″ QR rear wheel.

No kids / dogs so it doesn’t need to be a kiddy trailer.

I’d like a proper cargo bike but a trailer would mean we can both have the option of lugging loads.

amedias
    Free Member

BOB (or other single wheel) for handling and riding at any decent speed, but add a stand for ease of loading/propping.

2-wheel style for lugging very bulky or lopsided loads, but not for going fast and beware of extra width!

The cheaper trailers are great for occasional use or ‘seeing if it works for you’ tests, but the posh ones are expensive for a reason, they are way better built, more robust, more stable and last longer. If you’re going to be using it very regularly or with very heavy loads it’s worth spending the extra, but not for the occasional trip.

Whatever you go for pay attention to the hitch, some of them can be challenging to make work on some frames, some are easy to port between bikes, others not. Sadly the most secure hitches are often the most faff too!

Dibbs
    Free Member

I bought a Topeak Journey earlier in the year on our bike to work scheme.

tjagain

I have used a bob and one of the cheap bob copies you often see. The Bob is far better and very easy to tow

sam_underhill

Didn’t Edinburgh cycles do a Bob copy? Any good?

tjagain

the edinburgh cycles bob copy is available under many names – its OK but you get what you pay for. I had a hitch break and the thing creaked. the BOB is much better

kcr
    Free Member

I use a Carry Freedom two wheel trailer. Very simple, but flexible. It handles a 140 litre IKEA box with a full supermarket shop OK.
    Not mine, but you get the idea:

http://mccraw.co.uk/carry-freedom-y-frame/

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have the edinburgh bikes copy of bob -=it works to a fashion but its pretty shite compared to the real bob yak.

i ended up buying an xtracycle freeradical kit for similar purpose….

sweepy
    Free Member

Another cheap bob-a-like owner here, its not bad but Ive never used a real one so cant compare.
    I did have a long term loan of a carry freedom tho, and for carrying all kinds of shite it was streets ahead- as long as you were on a road.

kcal

bob-=a-like owner here, have had it 8 or so years, been well abused – and it’s worth about what it cost — which was a bit under £100 at the time, they’re now around £80. Can be a faff to hook up, the catch is fiddly, rust protection is minimal, but they’re pretty good ‘value’ for occasional use.

We used to it for setting out courses, getting the shopping, collecting wood, trips to the dump, bit of cycle touring – have lent it out a few times..

sam_underhill

I think I’ve got the message.
    Accept a faffy connector on a copy or buy a real Bob.
    Topeak connector looks good as well.

amedias
    Free Member

it’s not just the difference in the hitch, the real thing is better built, rattles less, tolerances are better on the fork pivot etc. It handles better, wobbles less and is a lot nicer in every regard. They are however expensive. 2nd hand bargains are the way forward with BOBs! I payed £70 for mine, could do with painting again though but I thought that last year too and haven’t yet….

stumpy01

I asked a while ago and had a good response.

Here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-use-a-trailer-for-grocery-shopping-recommend-one

I never got round to getting one (still wish I had, really) but the general consensus seemed to be that the cheap Amazon ones are fine for local shopping trips, but posher, more expensive ones are available…

gwaelod
    Free Member

I’m seriously considering knocking up a carry freedom trailer from some old bits of tubing at the back of the garage using these plans as a guide

http://www.carryfreedom.com/project/12-the-bamboo-trailer/

ontor
    Free Member

Bob or carry freedom. All others are frustratingly poor copies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What bike trailer for cargo?’ is closed to new replies.