Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What Bike Roof Rack?
  • greasystain
    Free Member

I need a couple of bike racks for the roof of my car. What are the best ones to get? Cost is an issue but I want good quality racks. Any suggestions?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’m desperately trying to find one that will go on my morris 1000, any suggestions?

starsh78
    Free Member
    Jamie
    Free Member

Thule with Aero Bars.

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Thule Cycle rack for sheer ease of loading/unloading…. but Halfords roof rack will save you over £100.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Got Thule Aero bars and two Thule 591s – can’t fault them.

Oggles
    Free Member

Same as Surf-Mat, I’d recommend the Thule aeros and two Thule 591s. They are great and they look good on the car! I paid about £260 for the lot from skidrive.co.uk (impressed with their service). Thirty quid cheaper if you go for square bars too IIRC.

Dogzyboy
    Free Member

Another vote for Thule Aero Bars & 591s 🙂

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Advantage of aero bars is that you can use the whole width of the bars for racks. The fittings for the racks on square bars can’t go round the bars where the feet are.

Thule aero bars and four 591’s here as well.

greasystain
    Free Member

Has anyone experienced of Halfords roof bike racks?

timmys

If you want to save money I’d go second hand Thule rather than new Halfords personally. I got my Thule bars used off ebay and then a pair of new 591’s.

greasystain
    Free Member

Timmy that is exactly the route I have taken so far but I’m having trouble finding a second hand pair of 591s.

TheFopster
    Free Member

I got a pair of racks from Halfords. They are very cheap when in the sale, and seem to be manufacured by Thule. No complaints from me, and great value for money. They are called Halfords Advanced – I got the pair for £80. They are quick release and lockable (both bike to rack and rack to car).

timmys

Sorry, didn’t see that you were specifically taking about the racks not the bars. For the racks I would definitely go Thule. skidrive.co.uk do a pair of 591’s for £124 which is as good as you will find for new.

Scamper
    Free Member

I’ve got a rack from Halfrauds – their posh version, what ever its called. Two for the price of one. Very pleased with them. In fact so good, i tried to go under a height restriction barrier at a french motorway toll – with no damage to the racking, if not the bikes.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Just checked the Thule website. The Halfords “Advanced” twin pack carriers are Thule 530s without the Thule logo. Identical in every way. On offer they do a pair of them for 80 quid, or you can get one Thule branded on it’s own from Wiggle for £45.

Jamie
    Free Member

Thule 530 are £70 for 2 from Skidrive. Free del as well.

Cougar

Best place to go is http://www.roofbox.co.uk – cheapest I’ve found and superb service.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

try before you buy, if you have a long travel odd shaped full sus frame you may find your bike doesnt fit the above. what bike have you got?

greasystain
    Free Member

I have an Orange 5 and I will probably be carrying a 2010 5 spot and 2010 Trances on a regular basis.

superfli
    Free Member

I have the 530s and although they do the job well enough, they are a bit awkward to clamp around the frame. The hinge/clamp requires you to squeeze the bars together first. But they are a lot cheaper than the 591s.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

+1 Thule with Aero Bars & 591’s

dhrider
    Free Member

Another vote for aero bars and 591 racks from ski drive. It is just worth checking the shape of your frame will suit the roof racks before you order.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What Bike Roof Rack?’ is closed to new replies.