Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What bike lock?
  • Dimmadan
    Free Member

I am upgrading my security at home and want to safe guard my bikes.

I have a floor anchor and want a lock that is easy to use but is also bloody difficult to break without the use of a circular saw.

I have been looking at Kryptonite New York 3000 and a Kryptoflex but wanted to see what people would recommend.

TheSlider
    Free Member

I've got a Kryptonite which is great – wouldn't want to carry it far but it looks serious, and I use various others as well. Last one I brought was a cable lock with a built in alarm.
    Felt this was okay until speaking to a cyclist recently who had 2 bikes stolen – locked up in a secure garage with a ground lock, two motor cycle chains and another couple of bike locks !
    Certainly fit some sort of alarm up as well – one that doesn't go off when it feels like it, ofcourse.
    Just NEVER get careless and always take the time to lock it all up – everytime !!

carlosg
    Free Member

Got 2 Squire paramount+ but keep the bikes locked up in the house , +1 for not wanting to carry it around.

mooman
    Free Member

The Magnum Plus range from Halfords is very good, also cheaper than Kriptonite. Also has something like a grands worth insurance if they manage to break the lock and steal the bike.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Magnum are re-branded On-guard locks from the states, get an Onguard brute from Wiggle for £28 (was when I got mine) most heavy it is too

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Look at Pragmasis or Almax chains + associated locks and anchors.

You'll still get through them with power tools, but it'll take a fair bit of effort.

Chainline
    Free Member

Second Jon's Pragmasis or Almax, everything else is history with a normal set of boltcrops/sledgehammer attack/freeze treatment, also minimum Squire S65 padlock.

I speak from experience having had so called good and expensive (£100) lock destroyed very easily before reading alot and finding these two companies.

Pragmasis Ground anchor is very, very good.

If you do a search on the web you will find a man called Zanx destroying all manner of SoldSecure and Thatcham locks ridiculously easy, depressing though that is.

AS a deterrent others may be ok but if they are in there and want it you are going to have to spend some money to slow them down, and preferably fit an alarm too. The XENA alarmed padlocks are good, they also do self contained PIR's for about £30.

Grinders will get through Almax and Pragmasis but they will make a lot of noise and, if you use the 19mm chains, take a good few minutes, and maybe even cause the thieving gits to hurt themselves trying 😀

my loss and insurance claim was eyewatering, I wish I had found this type of advice first….you live and learn.

TooTall
    Free Member

look on Parker International for about the best Kryptonite prices I've found.

2hottie
    Free Member

Look at What Mountain Bike, they have done a review of all the best locks. I think it's in the Dec, issue.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

Travis

How about a Rottweiler? 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What bike lock?’ is closed to new replies.