Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What bike lock for Center Parcs (Notts)?
  • dmorts

Off to Center Parcs in Nottingham, cannot remember what the bike stand setup is like and therefore what type of lock would be suitable. D-Lock with cable? Chain and padlock? This is for daytime use only, I’ll bring them indoors overnight.

Anything else bike and/ bike security related would be good to know too!

momo

The bike parks and the stands outside the apartments are just the V shaped metal bits for pushing a wheel into, I took my bike the first time we went there, locking was always an issue, said if we went back in the summer again I’d just suck it up and hire next time and not have to panic.
    I had a D-lock and an extension cable, (casting my mind back, it was 6 years ago) and I’d try to find a fence to lean the bike against to lock it up, was complicated a little more by having the child trailer on the back too.

dave_h
    Free Member

Hire their bikes and not worry about your precious steed?

Hunt around the park and get their bikes for free? There’s usually plenty of bikes dumped in the bushes around the paths. You don’t get quite the guaranteed sizing options though.

Their stuff is more than adequate for rolling around the site.

mjsmke

Can’t you take he bike inside?

stevextc
    Free Member

Unless you replace every bolt with security bolts and have some magic inside the frame to stop it being hacksawed in 1/2 any lock is only stopping someone grabbing it and running.

About 10yrs ago we stopped at the Sherwood Pines cabins (back when the police used to turn up to give you a crime number) and several bikes were stolen from outside cabins every day we were there.

Kryton57

+1 for hiring thier bikes just to get around.

If you must take yours – I take mine for some interval sessions outside the park – stored them in the cleaning cupboard where they can’t be seen. I’ve had 2 adults and one kids bike in there with no issues.

Gritstone

I’ve just come back from woburn and used a dlock to padlock the bike but occupied two spaces so I could get the lock around the frame and metal brackets. Brought the bike inside when not using it, broom cupboard sounds like a good idea for next time. Woburn is in the sticks so did not see any locals hanging around, is Notts closer to a town ?

BillOddie

I have taken “nice” bikes to CP on a few occasions so I can get a ride in at Pines/Thetford when there.

Big Moto chain lock, Steeloflex locks for outside pool etc and then bring them inside at night.

No issues.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Do you need a nice bike? The riding around the area doesnt need a nice bike

the-muffin-man

How are the thieves getting past the security guards, razor-wire and machine gun towers that greet you at the entrance!! 🙂

winston
    Free Member

very much this?

Everytime I’ve been to visit people locked up in centre parcs I’ve had to give loads of details about who they are, which shed they are staying in etc etc

I’ve always struggled to comprehend how often bikes are stolen there

joat

is Notts closer to a town ?

Edwinstowe and Clipstone. Robin Hood country, stealing from the rich (well you CAN afford CP) and giving (thrills) to the poor.

zerocool

I forgot my lock last week (well I remembered the Krytonite D Lock and huge cable lock but forgot the keys 🤦🏼‍♂️)
    And they kindly gave me one of their cheap cable locks.

It wasn’t really very good but ok for locking a blacked out stealth HT with mid range stuff on it and I stuck it inside the chalet if we were out with out it during the day and at night.

D lock and a cable will be ok I reckon.

When my kids (4 years old) get big enough to ride any distance we’ll just hire bikes from CP to save taking our own ones.

Sherwood CP has pretty much everything about 5 min walk from each other so not a huge amount of cycling needed like at Longleat where it’s all spaced out.

dmorts

Thanks, will take D-Lock with Cable and maybe a chain lock too

I’m only going to take my old 1997 era MTB anyway (although if it was nicked I’d be a bit gutted). Most expensive bike will be my son’s Early Rider. Will keep bikes indoors overnight and I don’t actually think we need to use them to get about as we are close to the centre.

Had completely forgotten about bike rental! Works out at just over £10 a day… might have a rethink

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Last time I went to Elveden the staff advised us to put bikes inside and even take the roof bars off.
    Not sure where the idea of security and razor wire comes from. Every Center Parcs I’ve been to has been pretty open. The chavs just walk in via the fire roads.

fossy

Do you need a nice bike. Erm, you are putting that question to a bunch of cyclists. Life is too short to own crap bikes. I don’t have a bike I could just lock up anywhere, even the commuter has XT all over it.

dmorts

Last time I went to Elveden the staff advised us to put bikes inside and even take the roof bars off.

The rack can go into the car boot. Roof bars though hmm… what about Roof boxes?

timmys

I’m interested in what the roof bar removal is meant to achieve? Cars are parked miles from your chalet so how are bars on your car increasing risk?

progboytam

What about Whinfell, same issues there with thieving bastards?

dmorts

I’m interested in what the roof bar removal is meant to achieve?

I think people must have been stealing racks?

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Exactly. Huge dark car park full of cars with roof bars on worth £150 each is easy pickings. Easy to remove and walk off into the woods.
    I’ve been to several Center Parcs and each decided it wasn’t worth bringing bikes. Never get a chance to go for a ride as too busy on the pool. We got free bike hire once which was nice. But really didn’t need them as everything was walkable.

bowglie

We used to live in the local area and I’d not be leaving a decent bike locked up and unattended around there. The ‘fenced in’ nature of CP probs makes it a bit less risky than outside the fence, but keep an eye on your swag in Pines (it’s not quite so bad now I’ve left the area;)). If you’d prefer to hire, the CP bikes always looked a bit like crummy hybrids FWIR, but Sherwood Pines cycles have a big hire fleet, and the bikes are decent enough to deal with the red route.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.