Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • What bike for the Alps?? This is what I built.
  • dantsw13

[/url]
    Untitled by danthomassw13, on Flickr[/img]

This is my Alpbike for this year!! @010

Frame second hand from the states for £330
    Marzocchi 55 160’s from a fellow STW’er
    Everything else from my C456.

What has everyone else got?

campfreddie
    Free Member

i’m going with a yeti asr5 with 140mm forks on the front and a stubby stem… not 100% ideal, but i ride like a girly, so it should get me where i want to go.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

A full chain device/single ring would be useful

Milkie
    Free Member

Everyone knows you need at least 200mm travel, otherwise you will die. 😆

Depending on what you are riding in the Alps a chain device/tensioner and a Reverb would be perfik. Dual ply for the rear too. 😉

180mm up front and 185mm on the rear for me (Genius LT). So much easier than the year before on a 100mm hardtail.

ae212060
    Free Member

I’m heading out to NZ with a 23mth visa. I don’t mind a pedal, but I prefer to descend. I decided to sell the DH rig and go down the overbuilt enduro bike route so I could explore all the trails I come across.. A bit of a compromise, but hasn’t held me back so far!

Yeti SB-66

Tracey

Mine

Abigales

Katies

Kevins undecided

Gotama
    Free Member

Those Yeti’s do look bloody lovely.

scruff
    Free Member

Blackspire Stingers work really well on Hecklers and Works Components do a 1deg slacker headset which fits niceley.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Cotic Hemlock build in progress…

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Tracey

Kevins is between these

Northwind

I just take my bike 😆 Swap the tyres and that’s all it needs. Might take the dropper post off this year, it was always down last time and I ended up breaking the lever in a crash so it’d be easier just to have a standard post…

dantsw13

Nice bikes everybody!

My Heckler has offset shock bushings fitted which give it an extra degree of slackness. I am toying with the idea of a chain device, and may swap the dropper post from my main bike onto it.
    Tyres wise, I have a O-O Chunky monkey, and a X King Protection Black chilli combo to go on tubeless, but its still got its mud tyres on at the moment.

tymbian
    Free Member

OP – the second hand frame was that an eBay purchase and did you have to pay import duties. VAT etc?

rOcKeTdOg

OP, non oversize head tube and no dropper, you realise you might die?

jesting apart, looks great!

dantsw13

RD 🙂

Tymbian – I bought it through Pinkbike USA, had it delivered to a US hotel I was going to be staying at, and bought it back through myself, under the customs allowance, so nothing to pay!!!

dantsw13

Also, thats nearly 2 hours, and no comments on my garden/decking! Is this a record??

tymbian
    Free Member

Dan…about your decking…. 😀

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

If I could actually afford a trip to the alps, I’d be taking this.

Could use me tracking down a 1 1/8 steerer + a slackset.

passtherizla
    Free Member

[/url]
    Untitled by passtherizla, on Flickr[/img]

Can’t wait! 2 weeks of riding, Skating and climbing… Bliss.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’m taking my trek remedy to an alps trip in July, with standard rp2 and some nice marzocchi 55 tst forks, probably going dual ply high rollers, 200mm rotors and deore brakes, usual wide bars/short stem, chain device etc.

I know it’s going to be on the short travel side for the braking bumps, but I don’t want to get or ride a full DH bike so this will have to do.

dan45a
    Free Member

Here’s my alpine160 in mega action….

@ae212060 – loving your sb66!! How does it ride on full on dh tracks?

DHR_Scanned_Image_20110810-1 by dan45a, on Flickr

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ll be racing this one over the summer 🙂

dantsw13

GlasgowDan – I had Deores in the Alps last year with 203/180 rotors and they were great!!

I do love the look of that Cotic Rocket! The log bike stand has given me an idea too!!

I even cut my grass for that photo today!!

chvck
    Free Member

Last year I went on this:

All I can really say is holy braking bumps batman. My arms just died at the bottom of every run. I acquired something bigger so next time I’ll take:

PiknMix
    Free Member

Sidesaddle!

gordonb
    Free Member

My patriot in Alps set up…. 3 trips to Les Gets / PDS.

dantsw13

I’m seeing plenty of Marz55 forks – mine will be in good company!

chvck
    Free Member

All the cool kids are doing it.

ae212060
    Free Member

Dan: Pretty well tbh, I’ve thrown on flats for DH days and felt pretty comfortable. It feels more stable than my old Orange 222 descending, shows how suspension platforms have moved forward.

I did switch out the RP23 shock though,it was just blowing through the travel, even with spacers fitted.

southwestrider

flats all the way.

My ride in les arcs last year

Northwind

Alps bike:

P1030797 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

Thicker tyres, and extra leaky fork seals, ready!

takisawa2

This is the most expensive thread this year. 🙂

Passtherizzla…was that taken at Cannock…?

maxtorque

takisawa2
    This is the most expensive thread this year.

Not to mention the most number of pictures of girls posted without a following “pppffwwwahhhhhh crickey, she’s hot” letch post

So consider this that post………. 😉

PGreen
    Free Member

Not as pimp as some of the stuff on here, but here’s whats coming to the alps with me this year.(saddle will change however)

Ti Coil and Van 36’s are super plush!

snaps
    Free Member

Alp D’huez bike

dantsw13

Following on from the recommendation to go for single ring/chain device, how easy would it be to convert my SLX Double/Bash to a single ring?

sv

Following on from the recommendation to go for single ring/chain device, how easy would it be to convert my SLX Double/Bash to a single ring?

I used a Blackspire Stinger with my SLX double/bash, didn’t drop a chain in 4 days of Alps riding.

godzilla
    Free Member

My Alpine weapon, the Patriot is shown with an RP23 but i have a CCDB too 😀 the last couple of years I’ve been on my trail bike (Heckler & Five) when i came back last year i wanted something bigger.
    OP, i have a one ride old Van RC for sale that is perfect for the Heckler.

Last years bike.

The year before’s.

Furious

My Alps bike in the Alps (it’s my bike for everything…)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘What bike for the Alps?? This is what I built.’ is closed to new replies.