Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What bike for… Old railways and easy singletrack?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

I need a bike to fulfil a dual (well, kind of triple) purpose. It needs to get me to work at a reasonable speed down 16 miles of old railway and a little bit of road, it needs to be reasonably comfy for the Mrs to ride on similar terrain and it needs to be able to handle local easy singletrack and bridleways.

At the moment I’m using my roadie to ride to work, but it’s battering the hell out of my wrists at any kind of speed, and I fear the slick tyres may struggle a little when the going gets moist. So, it needs to be something more upright.

The Islabikes Beinn 29 looks pretty much perfect for the job, but I have quite a lot of 26″ bits lying around (wheels and forks and a few bits of drivetrain) that I was going to use to build up my Mmbop, but I’m thinking that maybe something a bit more XC oriented might fit the bill nicely – perhaps an Inbred.

Cheaper the better, as per usual… Any ideas?

flyingmonkeycorps

Well it DOES say I’ll arrive safe, clean and in double quick time. Dunno about the singlespeed though, I don’t have a beard.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I think sir wants to go CX…

back2basics
    Free Member

planet x uncle john, soft , compliant, comfy, can take discs!!!

flyingmonkeycorps

I thought about CX, but I’ll still be mashing my wrists on the drops. Every bump makes me go “ow!”

bobgarrod
    Free Member

i wouild have thought a second hand hardtail frame would have been the answer there seem to be plenty knocking about.

flyingmonkeycorps

Aye I reckon. Rack mounts would be handy too, which makes the Inbred even more tempting!

bobgarrod
    Free Member

I use my old orange evo2 for commuting – carbon forks and schwalbe big apples – frame is very comfy, lightweight and rides well – also running 1 X9.

bellefied
    Free Member

on one inbred and scandal frames are down to £140 on their site, as is the planet x kaffenback

although they also have a SAB hybrid frame reduced to £72 that might suit the brideways and a SAB MTB frame for £80

get in there quick and fill your boots if you just want a frame

hatter

A nice steel rigid 29er such as Genesis Fortitide or Singular Swift would be perfect but they may push the budget a bit.

core

hatter
    A nice steel rigid 29er such as Genesis Fortitide or Singular Swift would be perfect but they may push the budget a bit.

+1

flyingmonkeycorps

Totally agree, I would LOVE a Singular Swift, bloody lovely things they are. But £400 for frame and forks plus wheels on top of that is a fair whack when I can pick up an Inbred for £140 new and have most of the bits to get it going already. Plus it will get abused and left out in the rain, I don’t think I could do that to a Singular!

Same response to the Fortitude with a bit less lust 😉

I’d also prefer to have a few gears just so I can get the commute out the way as quickly as possible.

ads678

[/url][/img]

This is what I use for pretty much exactly what you need it for. cracking bike and can take a hell of a load more punishment than i’m giving it.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Judging by the people I see riding railways and easy singletrack round my way, you NEED at least a 150mm full sus with a 66 degree head angle.

flyingmonkeycorps

Haha, I’ve got one of those, can’t fit a rack on it 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What bike for… Old railways and easy singletrack?’ is closed to new replies.