Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • What bike for my 11 year old?
  • bigblackshed

I’ve had a look at the usual suspects but I’m now totally confused.

Boy2 is 11, he has special needs and finds gears as well as riding safely a bit too much to cope with. I want something light weight, without unnecessary suspension, and fitted with size appropriate brakes and crank arms.

I’ll have to measure him properly but every guide seems to suggest the biggest wheels as young as possible. I was thinking of an Isla Benin, either 24 or 26. But would like it to be single speed if possible. It won’t be used in anger, just for pootling about on, holidays and odd days out on family trials.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

The Islabikes are a great choice. Pricey but they hold their value so you shouldn’t lose too much if and when he outgrows it and you sell it on. What about a BMX? Easily get a nice one that’s not too heavy for heaps less than an Islabike. He’ll find the upright position easier to manage and you can put a longer seat post on it.

MoreCashThanDash

Would a BMX suit him maybe?

Otherwise a 14″ Inbred, maybe second hand, could be built up as a rigid single speed as a dad/lad project?

bigblackshed

He’s tried his older brother’s BMX, and that might become his as a hand-me-down, but TBH unless you’re stood up BMXs are not really a “riding” bike. The bars are wide with a long reach, the brakes can be too tough for smaller hands, and generally the cranks are too long when seated even with a longer seat post.

I’d rather buy something complete, because if it becomes a self build I’ll end up going silly with the bling. I just can’t help myself.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘What bike for my 11 year old?’ is closed to new replies.