Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What bike for everything but jumping.
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

So I’m in the fortunate position of possibly looking at a new bike. I live in east Anglia so the terrain isn’t that technical, long days out in thetford etc. riding flat and generally non-technical trails, basically mile munching happiness cranking the pedals, I guess I’m a relaxed xc rider.

I happily do this all on my Sour Crumble, steel 29er with 130 forks. A slight change in circumstances means I can thankfully travel a bit more which means trips to Wales, Lakes and Peaks, Scotland and also the Alps.

I considering full suspension and I’ve had a Jeffsy before which was lovely, there is small regret selling it but not enough to make me run out for another one, just a consideration. but as I said I’m happy with the Sour. I know it’ll be fine in Wales etc. but will I want more if I’m going to Scotland and the French alps. I won’t be hitting the big downhill runs but some technical singletrack will always be ridden. Drop offs are fine but the big jumps and doubles are out of my reach now I’ll be honest.

A few things I’m considering are:

Keep mine and just enjoy it as it is fine
    Cotic Flaremax
    Orange Stage 4
    YT Jeffsy/Izzo
    Something else?

thanks in advance for any ponderings you have.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Scott Spark?

I used to have the RC version (100mm) and it was very capable on everything I currently chuck my Slash down.

I can imagine the 120mm trail version is even better in this regard. I actually regretted not going for that version, but for some reason I had it in my head that I was going to start doing a load of XC racing and marathons.

There’s been quite a few short travel/lighter trail bikes released recently. The new Transition one (forget the name) looks like a fun bike too!

ta11pau1

Will you be keeping the hardtail? If you, you can go a bit more travel on the FS bike, say 150mm 29er – if not and it’ll be your only bike, a 130-140mm 29er might be good.

Probably out of budget, but a Deviate Highlander or Forbidden Druid would be perfect. Not too much travel but more capable than the travel it has.

Orbea Occam
    Radon Slide Trail

chestrockwell

I had the Orange Segment and now have a Stage 5 so can highly recommend them. Stage 4 has been replaced by the Stage Evo but that should do everything you want and be loads of fun in the process! Not had my Stage long but the new, steep seat tube really puts you in a great pedalling position.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Transition is nice but expensive!

I was looking at the Scott’s but the Stack was to low on the XL’s for me unfortunately as they look lovely.

I guess i’m looking at 120/130mm ish travel either end. I’m looking at either new frame and fork or a whole new bike and sell what i don’t use from the Sour.

coconut
    Free Member

Giant Anthem 29er would fit the bill perfectly.

lawman91

The new Transition is the hot ticket right now, get mine soon-ish but you may struggle to find an XL this side of November. It’s crazy light for what it is, it’s basically what Scott should do with the Spark but never will, well not this decade at least!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What bike for everything but jumping.’ is closed to new replies.